• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting together a MSDOS box (for Duke)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I am in sort of a quandry when it comes to putting together a DOS box for playing DOS specific games like Duke Nukem Atomic, and early versions of Tomb Raider, to name just a couple...my concern is getting DOS drivers for my modern cards: video, sound etc..or should I just use the modern chip/board and use the older cards I have lying around?

The boards I plan on using will be slot one, and they have ISA slots, so I could use PCI and ISA video and sound (If I have to)

I would like to use my Geforce FX, and my SB Live!, but don't know if either have DOS drivers for them?

I have an old S3 Virge video card (yuck) that I can use if I have to, and I have an old SB AWE32 that I'm sure they wrote DOS drivers for, but like I said, I would like to use the most current hardware that I can if possible.
I now wish I would have kept my TNT2 Ultra...there were DOS drivers for that :bang head

After all the hype about Duke coming out again, I have been yearning to play Duke 3d again. I still have the CD...I even put some of the Duke Nukem Desktop theme sounds on Frankenputer for nostalgia

Now if I can find drivers and remember all the DOS commands for optimizing the memory and disk access...ATM all I can remember is "memmaker"

Any and all help and links would be most appreciated,
Doc

Other then using older hardware that has DOS drivers available (somewhere on the net), use DOSBox on modern hardware. You can run the emulator full screen with all your modern hardware. No need trying to search for drivers or even put together a new (old) system.

Almost forgot too. There's also a "modern" Duke 3D that runs in Windows. Its been rewritten from the ground up to use OpenGL, and I believe there is also a full 3D port (as in no more 2D sprites but actual 3D enemies) as well.

[edit] Try this site: http://hrp.duke4.net/about.php [/edit]

Last edited:
Wow, Thanks for the dosbox idea..that will solve all my problems...although I will still put together a pure dos box...I remember that I also have a Trident TGui video card as well as the Virge. I think the trident may be just a hair better.

DosBox will run in Win2k?

Thanks Mpegger, I found and ran Dosbox and Duke3d ran smooth....played till my arse got sore from sitting in the same place too long

I still think I am going to setup an old PIII for pure DOS, but I do like the convienience of just running Dosbox on my main rig.
Thanks again,
Doc

Back