• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Crazy!! WARNING ALOT of pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We are under a water shortage in my area due to lack of rain over the past several months. We're not allowed to water the lawn or wash our cars.

If it gets any worse we may have to put an extra tube on your rig, and pump some of that water over here!

I'd like to see more pics as well. I am curious how you routed the watercooling given the 4 loops. That is a lot to put into any case and make work neatly.

I meant no offense about the money thing. I just have to admit to a bit of envy also on this as this is one serious rig. You know a rig is getting serious when you almost need to reinforce the floor underneath it due to its weight!

I saw a thread on XS where the Bitspower barbs were mentioned, and I ordered some for the rig I am working on. They are hands-down better than anything else I have seen. I really like the o-ring retainer on them, and the large ID.

Elluzion - My main goal was to make the ultimate WC case so I would never have to do it again, no matter what they developed in the future. I feel I have done just that and there is nothing this setup cannot handle, no matter how insane or hot it is. Yes, it's overkill today, but will it be in a year?, 5 years? 10 years? Will I EVER have to upgrade the case to handle the technology? I doubt it, and thats the REAL reason I did it. Sure, MB, Video, Memory, waterblocks, cant get away from that, but the case and WC setup, I DARE them to make this obsolete!

And since its such an insane system, I went ahead and built it with the most insane parts available, and this is important, WHEN I bought them. Been buying stuff for a year, waited as long as I could for the main things. Thats why its the QX9650 and the 3870X2's. If I built the ultimate case, then I wanted the ultimate parts in it. If I am not mistaken, the hard drives are the only things that could have been better, and MAYBE the MB, but not when I bought them. No sense in embarrassing the case, now is there....:beer:

If I had it to do over I would change the MB to whatever one it is that ASUS makes that is DDR3, dual 16x PCIe slots so that when Xfire does work, both cards would be maxing out in bandwidth. I believe the Maximus is only 16x-8x, I'm not really sure.

Voigts - I had no clue how I was going to put in all the tubing and make it look nice. I didn't think it could be done neatly. I played with the thought of hard piping most of it but decided no, that it was too much trouble and not easily changable. Then when I found the bitspower fittings, well, that decided it for me, tygon all the way. I put the first 2 pieces in thinking to keep each piece as short as possible and not caring about the flow of which part was first, sat back, stared at it for about 30 min, didn't like it and decided to route each loop exactly the same way. Pump - Block - Rad - Res. I'm glad I decided that, it made it easier to look ahead on the routing. But what amazed me more was that it was going in very compactly and looked good, not the jumbled mess I thought it would be. I treated the tubing like I was wiring it, so there is alot more than there could be so it would route together and stay bundled in a neat bundle, splitting off when it needed too. I would say there is about 35 to 40 feet of tubing in there, don't know the exact measurement, all I know is I kept getting to the point of, damn, I need more, order it, put it in, damn, I need more, order it, put it in and on and on and on.

Last edited:
the only thing i think would top it is, if you would have built the case yourself
but as i said before it's insane, i would smack you silly until i could convince you to give me your rig... lol

Well, Video blocks showed up so far, heavy jokers, but when all put together not really that much heavier than the stock card. Pretty close actually, kinda happy about that. Not too impressed with the machining job of the pads, which was the second thing I noticed right away. I felt they should have been smoother and not shown bit patterns. It would be a serious job to try to lap these simply because of all the seperate pads. There's 3 main chip pads, at different heights, 4 ram pads and 4 other smaller pads. THAT would be some serious lapping...Geesh!

After taking off the fan-sink assembly, I had another thing jump right out at me. The pink thermal pad for the center chip was not lined up properly and did not cover the chip all the way. The pic shows the few millimeters of dull chip that it was not covering, even a little bit of the center silver part. Tsk tsk tsk HIS. I don't know how hot or important that is for that particular chip, but a little more attention to detail is required there, one would think. Also, notice how the second GPU sink is aluminum instead of copper, WHATS UP WITH THAT!

The EK Water block kit comes with everything you need except the Artic Silver. And according to the instructions you put the AS5 on the GPU's and RAM ONLY. All the rest get the supplied thermal pad that you have to be very careful with because you have to cut it up for all the different sized chips. AND there is only JUST enough...NO EXTRA! The directions give you a little diagram for cutting it up properly.

It's just like any other GPU block out there, there are no feet for the screws, soooo, don't tighten them too much. Never understood why they don't do that. Warping a board can really screw it up, yet it just scares you to death because you can't really tighten the screws up to where you think they are secure enough and the block is seated good and snug. The feet wouldn't even have to be perfect, but at least they would be there to prevent you from warping it too much.

Still waiting for Fedex to show up with my MB and the fittings for the video cards wont be here till tomorrow or maybe even friday. Shame but such is life.

Attachments

• Pic174.JPG
    Pic174.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Pic176.JPG
    Pic176.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Pic177.JPG
    Pic177.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Pic178.JPG
    Pic178.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Pic179.JPG
    Pic179.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,044
:drool::eek::drool:

Thats an unbelievable build, I wish it was mine. That water block is some job. Another top class EK block. Can't wait to see more.

Man... you are nuts to say the least. I wish I had the dough to build even half of that system...

We definately need temp reports as well as how far you can overclock that sucker!!!

I'm going to get it running stock stable first, with both cards in, but ony using one cause of the drivers. Hopefully next month I will be able to use the second one for how its meant to be . I will need alot of help with this OC. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to all of those strange bios settings. I understand the main ones for OC'ing the CPU but I have never been able to OC memory or my video card for that matter. Kinda sad isnt it, have all this stuff and cant even use it to its full potential. But I am confident that many here will help me get this puppy SMOKIN as fast as it can go!! And in doing so, I will finally learn how to OC all of it instead of just the CPU. Oh Glory Days!!

Cant think of one that I like that well. I was initially going to call it The Ultima, I dont know. Kinda wanted something with Quad in it since it has 4 a darn near everything....shrug

Possible Names:
FourXForAll (4x4all)
aQua-D
HydroCool
The Quadanator
Aquaman
The Hydraulic Pumping Station
Cool Blue
Darth ReserVader
GTFouts Super Extreme Special: Extreme Edition Series I - Spec V
OMGWTFPWNALLURCOOLINGnator

I think those are some of the only names fitting for such a beast of a cooling machine. You could cool an automobile engine with that setup.

WOW those blocks are beasty .. hell this entire setup is beasty! .. I'm mega jealous man ...

With the stock X2 heatsinks, the first HS (the one closest to the fan, thus the one which gets cooler air) is aluminium as its better at transferring heat to the air and the 2nd HS is copper because its better at pulling heat from the chip .. Well I think that's right .. read it somewhere in more scientific terms but can't remember them exactly ...

Possible Names:
FourXForAll (4x4all)
aQua-D
HydroCool
The Quadanator
Aquaman
The Hydraulic Pumping Station
Cool Blue
Darth ReserVader
GTFouts Super Extreme Special: Extreme Edition Series I - Spec V
OMGWTFPWNALLURCOOLINGnator

I think those are some of the only names fitting for such a beast of a cooling machine. You could cool an automobile engine with that setup.

Taken!

Attachments

• Quadinator.JPG
    Quadinator.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 969
Back