• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about OC Ripjaws V 2x8 CL 16

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EladFlopsi

Registered
Hello all!

I am new to overclocking and this forum, so please be easy on me :p

I want to OC my RAM to CL14, but I do not know what is the best settings I can try first.

So a few things I want to know (I know it was repeated several times, I am flooding my own questions and want to see that I have it right)

Just to mention, I have an Intel i5 8600K (which will also be OC'ed in the near future) and Asus Maximus X Formula.

1. If I want to put the CL to be 14, what does the number in the end stands for? like 14-14-14-X?
How do i know whats the proper "multiplier" ?

2. If I put a timing that will not go past POST, Should I reset CMOS or I could enter bios?

3. What are the best settings that do not push too much on heat (somewhere around base voltage of the sticks which is 1.35 from what I recall and checked on the manufacturer website)

4. If i wanna go CL 15, What is the "end" that I need to put?

Thank you for your help!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And If anyone has like screenshots of Asus BIOS to show and explain in a bit more depth that will be more than helpful!

The "x" in the string would be CR (Command Rate). It is usually set to 1 or 2. 2 would be safer bet for stability's sake. When you tighten some timings you may have to loosen others. There is a tradeoff. You may also need to give the RAM more voltage. Up to 1.5 is considered safe.

No one can give you "plug n play" timing numbers. You'll just have to experiment.

Before you start to overclock, look for a setting in bios that allows you to set the number of retries if you can't get past post. Set it to "1" so as to not waste time. Then it will only try once before reverting back to stock timings.

Just for your information, Intel CPUs do not benefit nearly as much as AMD CPUs from faster memory. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

It's much easier if we actually know the used IC and rated memory speed. Under the Ripjaws V is pretty much everything available on the market from memory chips that can make 5000+ and something that can't OC at all.
I recommend to download Thaiphoon Burner and post a screenshot from SPD/mem info tab.

The "x" in the string would be CR (Command Rate). It is usually set to 1 or 2. 2 (isnt this one is like 31/28/40 or a high number likt this?would be safer bet for stability's sake. When you tighten some timings you may have to loosen others. There is a tradeoff. You may also need to give the RAM more voltage. Up to 1.5 is considered safe.

No one can give you "plug n play" timing numbers. You'll just have to experiment.

Before you start to overclock, look for a setting in bios that allows you to set the number of retries if you can't get past post. Set it to "1" so as to not waste time. Then it will only try once before reverting back to stock timings.

Just for your information, Intel CPUs do not benefit nearly as much as AMD CPUs from faster memory. It may be more trouble than it's worth.
Tightening the timings suppose to boost (not by a mile) the performance, that's what I know at least, Maybe I am wrong. IDK, worth a shot i guess.[/COLOR]

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It's much easier if we actually know the used IC and rated memory speed. Under the Ripjaws V is pretty much everything available on the market from memory chips that can make 5000+ and something that can't OC at all.
I recommend to download Thaiphoon Burner and post a screenshot from SPD/mem info tab.

Ill look into this, Thanks!

Like, What is recommended to put in those boxes :
RAM.PNG

I want (This is a good thing that I want things but not sure I can get them) to configure a 14-14-14-(IDK WHAT TO PUT HERE) with 3200.

What do you guys suggest to be a good voltage?

I can see that in their official site : https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/184/1536055178/F4-3200C14D-16GVK-Specification

Ofc they are not the same sticks as mine, but I belive I can reach this settings.

What do you say?

The only IC that can reliably do that is B-die, if your sticks could do that they would have been sold as such. You might hit 14-16-16 though though depending on what modules you have. Nobody can give you specific guidance until you use taiphoon burner to determine what IC you have in those modules.

Capture4.JPG

I have no idea what I need to fill in here . I have 2 sticks of 8 gb.. IDK the rest. What should I do?

RAM.JPG

OK. so I guess I got C-die. Which from what I understood is ****...
any recommendations?

Set XMP and enjoy? Youve got an intel system so it isn't like you will really see an increase in performance that is tangible. :)

I use XMP for sure, but I wanna squeeze the CL a bit more, want it to be at least 15CL and 3200
IDK man, It feels like I wanna push my rig to its best and not go and waste money on a new ram...

I use XMP for sure, but I wanna squeeze the CL a bit more, want it to be at least 15CL and 3200
IDK man, It feels like I wanna push my rig to its best and not go and waste money on a new ram...
I get it... and we are overclockers.com and all... but the difference is negligible.

Me? XMP. Unless I am benchmarking/competing (rare these days), I use XMP settings. For me personally, the time, effort, and potential instability just are not worth it for negligible gains.

There are others who will tweak and will give you the answer you are looking for, though. I used to love tweaking but my use today doesn't warrant the effort. :)

On this IC you can almost only lower CL at the cost of higher voltage so your memory is 3200 16-18-18 and you will be able to set something like:
3200 15-17-17 1.35-1.45V
3200 14-17-17 1.40-1.50V
3200 13-17-17 1.45-1.60V
3600/3733/3800 16-19-19 or 16-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.35-1.45V
3600/3733/3800 15-19-19 or 15-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.40-1.50V
3600/3733/3800 14-19-19 or 14-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.45-1.60V

It all depends on IC quality and some other factors so above are only examples for the C-die.

On this IC you can almost only lower CL at the cost of higher voltage so your memory is 3200 16-18-18 and you will be able to set something like:
3200 15-17-17 1.35-1.45V
3200 14-17-17 1.40-1.50V
3200 13-17-17 1.45-1.60V
3600/3733/3800 16-19-19 or 16-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.35-1.45V
3600/3733/3800 15-19-19 or 15-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.40-1.50V
3600/3733/3800 14-19-19 or 14-18-18 (depends on luck) 1.45-1.60V

It all depends on IC quality and some other factors so above are only examples for the C-die.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I accidentally deleted the last post.
Did you do this chart from experience or from a formula of some kind?
And in addition, what is the last number that I need to add ? It suppose to be like 16-18-18-X
What should I do the X?
What's the name of the X?

Row Active Time (tRAS):

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3333-memory-timings-defined-cas-latency-trcd-trp-tras said:
Wikipedia: “The minimum number of clock cycles required between a row active command and issuing the precharge command. This is the time needed to internally refresh the row, and overlaps with tRCD. In SDRAM modules, it is simply tRCD + CL. Otherwise, approximately equal to tRCD + 2×CL.”

Also known as Activate to Precharge Delay or Minimum RAS Active Time. The first equation (for SDRAM) is the relevant one here, but it should be more than that. We’ve seen multiple different “true” ways to calculate tRAS, but given the complexity of memory operations, good old trial and error remains the easiest. For example, we somehow booted with memory at 16-16-16-26, and that doesn’t make sense by anyone’s rules.

If your board has an automatic setting for that just start there. Or start with whatever the XMP profile has it set to. You can play with it further but benefit will likely be minimal.

Woomack has tested so much memory and these are suggestions from his experience. As he said, "...the above are only example for the C-die" they're not absolute settings, every module has the potential to behave differently and even motherboard / CPU combinations can impact memory OC (not even absolute performance, i.e. same equipment in a different combination and every part performs differently).

Really this is why we enjoy overclocking, the tweaking and the fact that every system is different is what makes it fun even if the gains are marginal. If we wanted a one size fits all solution we would (and often do) leave things at XMP.

Row Active Time (tRAS):

If your board has an automatic setting for that just start there. Or start with whatever the XMP profile has it set to. You can play with it further but benefit will likely be minimal.

Woomack has tested so much memory and these are suggestions from his experience. As he said, "...the above are only example for the C-die" they're not absolute settings, every module has the potential to behave differently and even motherboard / CPU combinations can impact memory OC (not even absolute performance, i.e. same equipment in a different combination and every part performs differently).

Really this is why we enjoy overclocking, the tweaking and the fact that every system is different is what makes it fun even if the gains are marginal. If we wanted a one size fits all solution we would (and often do) leave things at XMP.

Hi!

Thank you for the reply!

I would try that, Just to clarify, if I am to try to push to 3600/3733/3800 16-19-19 , So the equation is 19+16*2 = ?
It seems a bit high, but I don't know almost anything about OC of RAM so, "What do I know?"

The quote actually says "The first equation (for SDRAM) is the relevant one here, but it should be more than that. We’ve seen multiple different “true” ways to calculate tRAS, but given the complexity of memory operations, good old trial and error remains the easiest." So you could start with 16+19 but it's not plug and play. Or I would really advise just leaving it on automatic.

Depends on the IC it's higher or lower. On older IC you could make some formula. On new, it doesn't really matter as long as it's in some value range. For example, Samsung will work between 28 and 50. Most other IC will need 32+ and at the higher clock (4000+) work at high tRAS like 40+.
Typical is 15-15-15-(35), 16-16-16-(36), 15-17-17-(35-38), 16-18-18-(38-39), 17-19-19-(38-39), 18-18-18-(38), 19-21-21-(39-41), ...

Back