• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM limit on laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazim

Hi,

I have a HP DV7-6116ez laptop which according to the manufacturer only sports a maximum of 2x4GB RAM. However, the processor is an i7-2670QM and the OS is Win7 Pro so it should be able to handle 16GB (2x8GB). Moreover, PC Wizard & SIW both show under the Memory Controller Information that the max module size possible is 16384 MB. I'm not sure if this piece of info is based on i7 specs or if these programs really analyze the motherboard.

Does this mean that the actual limit is indeed 16GB and the manufacturer doesn't mention this to avoid cannibalizing its higher end machines or could there be some real bottle necks?

Hi,

I have a HP DV7-6116ez laptop which according to the manufacturer only sports a maximum of 2x4GB RAM. However, the processor is an i7-2670QM and the OS is Win7 Pro so it should be able to handle 16GB (2x8GB). Moreover, PC Wizard & SIW both show under the Memory Controller Information that the max module size possible is 16384 MB. I'm not sure if this piece of info is based on i7 specs or if these programs really analyze the motherboard.

Does this mean that the actual limit is indeed 16GB and the manufacturer doesn't mention this to avoid cannibalizing its higher end machines or could there be some real bottle necks?

Unless there's an artificial BIOS limit (very unlikely), you're fine. Dell claims this L502x only supports 8GiB, but it's been running just fine with 16GiB :) Would've gone with 32GiB, but it seems that nobody manufactures 16GiB SODIMM modules.

Glad to hear that :) I was also thinking in the same lines but just wanted to hear if someone had already disregarded manufacturer guidelines and gone through with an "unrecommended" upgrade.

Regarding the same topic, what limits the frequency of the supported RAM? Once again the manufacturer gives 1333MHz as the fastest supported RAM. Unfortunately SIW and PC Wizard don't give any information on which frequencies the motherboard can support. Did anyone try to go beyond manufacturer recommended limits?

Hay you guys,
Newbie here, so I hope you can help me. Well, my problem is as follows:
I own a MSI GT780DXR-446US which comes with an i7-2670QM and a HM67 chipset, 4x4GB DDR3 1333 SO-DIMM mem, OS Win7 Home Premium 64bits. A few days out the box and starting often BSODs at random without any specific cause. So I ran memtest86 and bingo! a lot of errors appearing, so one or more of my kit memory died. Now my couple questions.
1.- Is it compatible with my laptop with a 2x8GB kit? Really hard to find a good brand 4x4GB kit; one may buy at e-Bay a 4x4GB Ramstatic brand from UK, but if 2x8GB is compatible, I want to buy a G.Skill kit.
2.- What about if I buy a 1600MHz memory, is it compatible? Does increase the performance?
That is it. Thanks a lot you guys in advance for helping me.

Hay you guys,
Newbie here, so I hope you can help me. Well, my problem is as follows:
I own a MSI GT780DXR-446US which comes with an i7-2670QM and a HM67 chipset, 4x4GB DDR3 1333 SO-DIMM mem, OS Win7 Home Premium 64bits. A few days out the box and starting often BSODs at random without any specific cause. So I ran memtest86 and bingo! a lot of errors appearing, so one or more of my kit memory died. Now my couple questions.
1.- Is it compatible with my laptop with a 2x8GB kit? Really hard to find a good brand 4x4GB kit; one may buy at e-Bay a 4x4GB Ramstatic brand from UK, but if 2x8GB is compatible, I want to buy a G.Skill kit.
2.- What about if I buy a 1600MHz memory, is it compatible? Does increase the performance?
That is it. Thanks a lot you guys in advance for helping me.

1. 99% probability of "yes". Of course, if I had four slots, I'd get 4x8.
2. 99% probability of "yes".

Thanks a lot dear <petteyg359> for clarify my doubts, I appreciate it. You know, if I consult this at MSI (not bad support) for sure they reply me: Oficially not supported. Please, let me learn a little more from you, if you don't mind of course! what's more important, memory speed or CAS latency, e.g. 1333MHz CL9 or 1600 CL 10? (games are my priority). At this moment only Kingston offers 2x8GB 1600MHz CL9 (expensive!); have you preference for some brand? (if any). Also you recommend me 2 kits of 2x8GB and yes, my laptop supports it, but get I an additional performance playing "high-end" games? Finally, since my MB brings 4 SO-Dimm slots, and if I buy just one 2x8GB kit, what slots should I use? Yes, I know, it may be variable in different laptop brands, but for sure you can show me how to proceed. THX for your good will in helping!

Back