• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop gets really hot on gaming and normal load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Make sure the vents on the bottom of the laptop are clear, no using the laptop on the rug, blanket on your bed or on your lap (why do they call it a laptop if the vents get closed off on your lap? :) )
Now some laptop manufacturers have the vents and fan in the center of the bottom case so no issue with it on your lap.

You could try something like a laptop cooler
lapair.jpg

Looks like thermal throttling to me. You can try messing with apps etc,
and whether the components could actually achieve designed performance was less of a priority. All you can do is try their solutions I guess. I would also try without any of their software involved, just to see how it behaves then.
This step for me, to eliminate other assumptions is to install a new windows copy.

but I'm guessing it was just engineered that way. Designed to meet a price point and size and weight,

Yes, that's an important point because, msi launched different lines for gaming laptops. GE, GP, GF, .. etc.

My is GF75 Thin 95D, which is thin according to the model name. But before buying it, I ran by as much YouTube videos as I could and they didn't mention the temperature issue as I recall.

It's also a laptop, so you do have to somewhat limit your expectations, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to throttle playing a game either. Of course running a stress test I bet most of them throttle.

I remember running a stress test, it behaved as launching a game.

Make sure the vents on the bottom of the laptop are clear, no using the laptop on the rug, blanket on your bed or on your lap (why do they call it a laptop if the vents get closed off on your lap? :) )
Now some laptop manufacturers have the vents and fan in the center of the bottom case so no issue with it on your lap.

I recorded and uploaded a video for this demonstration.

You could try something like a laptop cooler

This is an important point, I know about these coolers, but the main reason I didn't buy one, is that I use this laptop for travelling and I carry it in my backpack, so carrying a cooler would be a small issue if I loaded the backpack with a lot of stuff which is what I do most of the time.

In my home, I work and play on my rig which runs pretty at reasonable temps, the laptop is for travels and going outdoors.

================================================== ==============================

I uploaded a third video with my mobile phone.

[video=youtube;TbmZgRxX7pA]

Back