• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezing after upgrading to FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whateverman

Registered
I've been facing this issue for a month now and I'm at the point where I don't know what to do anymore, it's got me desperate and I don't know where else I can ask for help at this point... so if you have the time please help me out.

So I have an Asrock 870icafe r2.0 mobo and I've recently switched to FX8350 from my previous phenom II. When doing so I needed to flash BIOS to the latest version so the mobo could read this processor. Ever since I have been getting random freezes(no bluescreen, just everything stops and I have to reboot). It can take 15-20 minutes for it to happen or it can take up to 10 hours from the moment I boot.
For RAM I have 2 4GB 1600MHz and 2 4GB 1333MHz(I've tried with just 1 pair and still got the same issue).

I've been through so much troubleshooting this month(sadly I am quite the noob when it comes to hardware and OC so it took me this long) that I am 100% convinced it is because of the BIOS update that changed the settings to defaults. Even with my old CPU I am now experiencing the same problem. Back when I bought this PC it was assembled and tested by the store and I believe they had the BIOS set up for it and because of the reset I am experiencing this.
Unfortunately I have never done OC before and feel quite overwhelmed when I am looking at all these values in BIOS that I have no idea what they are.

If you can please guide me through setting these up to the optimal levels for my build I would greatly appreciate it. I have played around with the values a bit, I've noticed that I got these freezes waaay more often(like 10-15 minutes after boot) when I switch to MANUAL and set my CPU/NB voltage manually to 1.30 or any other such value.

I have attached some pictures. Right now I've reset BIOS to default(everything is on AUTOMATIC) I've only switched to MANUAL so I can take these pictures so you guys can see the values I have there. I've also noticed that regardless of what I have set as CPU NB voltage in BIOS, my ASRock utility tool always says the CPU NB voltage is 1.5500, which as far as I can tell is extremely high compared to what I've read online. I don't know if this is a missreading on the software's part, if you guys can recommend me a tool for a more accurate reading aswell I would be happy to post some pictures.

I'm ready to set whatever values you guys recommend and try them out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

kOIKSmi.jpg
or1e7Gf.jpg
kpS0JQF.jpg
OeEBXgX.jpg

Last edited:
sadly it looks like your motherboard is your root cause,to find out go under the advanced tab and find where to tun off cpu cores and turn 4 off and re test.

Thank you for the fast response. I've just went into BIOS but unfortunately I can't find an option to switch off cores anywhere. I did however previously tried to run this build with my old CPU which is a quad-core phenom2 and had the same issue.

MOBO: Asrock 870icafe r2.0 1.70 bios version(latest)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 OC WindForce 2X 4GB DDR5 128-bit HDMI
SSHD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA-III (made sure to set storage to AHCI in BIOS)
RAM:
2x HyperX Savage 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Corsair Value Select 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
(tried running with each pair separated but had the same issue)

PSU: Recom PowerEngine 580W

please go here>>>> http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.74-en.exe and download cpu-z.

please go here >>>> http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.28.exe <<<< and download hardware monitor.

please extract and install the both, reboot the system.
open hardware monitor, streach it so we can see everything from below voltages down to the hdd, we dont need to see anything above the 12 volt line nor do we need to see from the hard drive down.

open cpu-z, open enough copys to show us every tab, yes this software you can click and open all the copys you want.

take a screen shot and post it to the forum.

you post it to the forum by clicking the 4th icon from the right in the bar above where you type, it's square.

Believe what the bios says for CPU/NB voltage.
Uninstall that OC utility software.
PSU is a 6 year old piece of junk. The 8350 pushed it over the edge.

right there with you Mr.Scott

yup, uninstall the asrock over clocking software, boot to bios, reset bios to default and reboot and restart testing.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast response. I've just went into BIOS but unfortunately I can't find an option to switch off cores anywhere. I did however previously tried to run this build with my old CPU which is a quad-core phenom2 and had the same issue.

Where it says CPU Active Core Control, click the button and disable 4 cores.

kOIKSmi.jpg

Got it, will take the screenshots and post them.
As much as I'd love for this to be just because of the psu I've never had issues with my previous CPU and ever since the bios update the old cpu has the same issue aswell.

Unfortunately I've got a call and need to go to work for a 12hrs shift.
As soon as I'll be back I will post the pictures.

@WhiteHawk
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Ok I will switch the cores and leave the pc running untill I come back tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what happened along with posting those screeshots after reseting bios to default.

Thanks for your interest guys

As much as I'd love for this to be just because of the psu I've never had issues with my previous CPU and ever since the bios update the old cpu has the same issue aswell.
Yes, your old CPU has this issue now only AFTER you tried the 8350, which is a power hog and quite possibly finished off that PSU. You have to start somewhere and without reliable power you can't start at all.
If you'd like to rule out the bios update, put your old CPU back in and flash back to the other bios. If it works, great, just a bad bios. If it doesn't, which I suspect it won't, move on to PSU first.

I already tried flashing to prev bios with my old cpu and yeah... It didn't help.

I'm not blaming bad bios... I rather think it being reset to default values and me not knowing how to tweak them is what's causing thus issue.

Either way I will order a new psu to test it out... If it's not the issue I can return it anyway. I remember how the guys at the store praised this psu back when I purchased it 3 years ago haha.

What psu would you recommend for surely carrying this build?

Why?
OP already said it does the same thing on his old quad core.
Makes no sense to buy an 8 core only to disable 4 anyways.

It's only temporary until he gets a new MB for that FX-8350, he should get some use out of it till then.

I'm running a FX-8350 with GA-990FXA-UD5 rev 1.0 with a GTS 450 GPU on a 550W PSU and it's running fine :) I think it's the MB, it must have pulled a hamstring trying to run that FX-8350 :rofl:

Last edited:
It's only temporary until he gets a new MB for that FX-8350, he should get some use out of it till then.

I'm running a FX-8350 with GA-990FXA-UD5 rev 1.0 with a GTS 450 GPU on a 550W PSU and it's running fine :) I think it's the MB, it must have pulled a hamstring trying to run that FX-8350 :rofl:
We shall see.

EVGA SuperNOVA will cover you. 750 watts should be fine.
I have the SuperNOVA 850GS. Bit overkill for a 6300 but provides plenty of strong clean power.

PSU's can be expensive, but you simply cannot cheap out on them. You NEED clean power for these 8 core beasts :)

Ok so I've uninstalled the ASRock utility tool, installed CPU-Z and CPUID HWMonitor, rebooted, set bios to default values.

Here is the screenshot.

values.jpg

I have never done OC before and feel quite overwhelmed when I am looking at all these values in BIOS that I have no idea what they are.

Turn off cool and quiet and disable turbo.

If problem persists, see Mr. Scotts post about PSU troubles.

Note:

Cool and quiet (power savings) lets the cpu throttle speed and voltage. Some FX chips (usually high leakers) don't like cool and quiet and prefer a constant voltage.

Put a load on it and take another ss, so it shows everything under heavy load. prime95 blend for a couple minutes maybe ???

Back