• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezing after upgrading to FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, I'e turned off cool and quiet and disabled turbo in BIOS.

I've downloaded prime95 from here but as soon as I start a torture test(blend or smallFFTs), not even 2 seconds into it my PC freezez, most of the times it does that instantly. I've tried running it about 5 times now and it's always the same. I played a game for about an hour, went into prime95 again and as soon as I started a test it froze.

I managed to run benchmark for about 2 minutes before it froze aswell.

Either the board, Psu or both do not have enough power to run the Fx 8xxx. If money is a concern put the old processor back on the board and at the very least replace the Psu with a quality unit. If it's not tell us your budget and well help you find a better motherboard and Psu.

I have a friend who has a MSI 970 GAMING mobo that he never unboxed and offered it to me. What do you guys think? I mean it's clearly an upgrade from my curent mobo but is it good enough to run this cpu without any kind of issues?

As for the psu I preffer to rule out the mobo first since at the moment I'm waiting on my paycheck and I can't really afford a new one. The budget for it is going to depend on wheter or not my boss feels I deserve a bonus this month

If you plug that PSU into that new board and the PSU IS what was bad and also took out your other board, that means you now kill two boards. Think about it.
You can't test components without known good power FIRST.

Feel lucky?

If you plug that PSU into that new board and the PSU IS what was bad and also took out your other board, that means you now kill two boards. Think about it.
You can't test components without known good power FIRST.

Feel lucky?
+1

Can't start from step 2. Have to start from the beginning.
If you can't afford a good PSU right now than it would be best to wait until you can afford a good, new PSU. 9/10 motherboards cost more than clean, reliabale PSU's.

Last edited:
Then how will i ever know if the psu i have right now is working fine... I guess I get the psu first and if the problem persists then I can blame it exclusively on the mobo.

Anyway, if you guys can please do recommend a solid and decent psu for my build... nothing too extreme though.

Also, is this new mobo good enough for my cpu?

trying to edit the post on my mobile seems to delete the message alltogether. Sorry about that

What graphics card are you using? This is a pretty good unit for the money Evga 600B. For stock clock the Msi board should be fine.

That thing is 100$ solid in my country. Man i hate the taxes here... also not available in stock at any vendor here.

Idk if I should go with ordering from amazon... Wonder how long it takes to get it to romania and if the free shipping still applies.

Also, here are my specs:
MOBO: msi970 gaming(soon)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 OC WindForce 2X 4GB DDR5 128-bit HDMI
SSHD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA-III
RAM:
2x HyperX Savage 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Corsair Value Select 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

I'd save it to my signature but my mobile is acting really funny right now.

Didn't know you were in Romania. Link to where you'll shop please and we'll help you pick something.

Yeah beside having to make up for the importing charges, and addinf 24% tax, the store also adds it's own aditional charge and you end up witb everything being overpriced.

That psu is one of the most recommended on their site aswell.

What exactly are you looking for when ordering a psu though?
Just curious... What makes it better than my current one (link for the specs https://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/recom/powerengine-580w/ ).
Or am I changing it not because it is bad but because it might be damaged?

I look for build quality first. You should too.
Seasonic is and has been for a decade, the leader in PSU quality and reliability.
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Most PSU's are made by only a few OEM plants and then just relabeled. If you don't know who the OEM maker is, you might as well shoot in the dark.
Look for appropriate wattage for your system next.
Realistically, your system will probably never see 500w.

You are changing your old one out because it is a 6 year old sub standard piece of junk that is in question. Even if it isn't bad, it isn't good.
I could not find a UL number for it or an OEM maker, or even a legit review. That's not a good sign at all.

Last edited:
Understood, thanks :)

Well if this is the best option then I will be getting it. With a bit of luck I'll have it by tomorrow and get to test it witht the old mobo aswell.

Man the thought of changing the psu makes me real nervous though...when the guys at pcgarage assembled my pc they did wire management by using very tight zip-ties on everything. So the only way I'm getting this one out is by scissors or pliers. The thing is most od the psu cables are tied to other cables aswell...this is going to be fun.

I'm guessing there's no safer/smarter way of removing those ties?

Also, in the meantime, are there no tweaks I can try to the voltages to see if I can get this mess stable? (It has been crashing alot more often than usual in the past 2 days)

Sorry for so many questions...i imagine most of them seem rather dumb to you guys. Wish I knew my way around these things like you guys do :)

Finger nail clipper might be better to cut the zipties. They are small and precise.

I'm guessing there's no safer/smarter way of removing those ties?

Also, in the meantime, are there no tweaks I can try to the voltages to see if I can get this mess stable? (It has been crashing alot more often than usual in the past 2 days)

Sorry for so many questions...i imagine most of them seem rather dumb to you guys. Wish I knew my way around these things like you guys do :)
I feel your best bet is to just leave it be until you get the new motherboard and Psu. Even if the Psu isn't the issue that board is going to have a heck of a time tying to run a Fx 8350 on it. I'd hate to see the board let go and take the 8350 with it, which could happen. BTW the Psu Scotty picked out is a really good unit.

Don't worry about the questions, we were all new at some point and likely asked the same questions. If you're willing to learn we're willing to teach.

Alright, seems I can actually drive there and get the psu in 12 hours. Not touching anything anymore untill I install it. Thanks for that hat fingernail clipper suggestion aswell, never crossed my mind.

Thanks for all your support so far guys, will be back once I have the new PSU running. (i guess there's no danger of running it with a bad motherboard? assuming the motherboard is faulty)

Back