• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Freezing. PLEASE HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDrive

Registered
Recently built a rig. Fx 4100 processor, m5a88-v evo MB. Running crossfire on two 6870s. Windows 7 Ultimate. It's been freezing at random. It's doing it at desktop screen. I haven't even been running any programs. Has done it about 5 times now. Have absolutely NO idea what it could be. I know this info is pretty sparse, but does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I would be forever grateful.

I would suggest posting full system specs, especially the exact make and model of your power supply.

Are you doing any overclocking? Have you changed any values in the BIOS? Have you done any stress testing?

No overclocking. PSU is a Rosewill Extreme Series RX850-S-B. RAM is Ripjaw 2x4GB. Western Digital 1TB Harddrive. Asus DVD drive. Only values changed in BIOS is Surround View Enabled and set UMA Frame Buffer Size to... I think it was 896MB. No stress testing. Don't know how to do that :/

That isn't a brand that I would trust for a power supply.

I'd start with getting MemTest, burn it to a disk, and boot to it.

That isn't a brand that I would trust for a power supply.

I'd start with getting MemTest, burn it to a disk, and boot to it.

I'm at work right now but I'll do that first thing when I get home. I really hope it's not the PSU but rather some software problem. I'd hate to have to RMA and buy a new one.

Alright so I ran MemTest and after 12 passes, nothing came up.

Seems to be freezing when downloading things. Just froze while downloading BF3 for the second time

Downloading is not intensive on any hardware. Personally, I'd start with the power supply. Even if that isn't the cause, you know that you would be using a quality unit.

I wouldn't think so. If it was would it lock everything up like it does? I was downloading something and it froze at 32%. When I restarted and came back to it, it was still at 32%. If It was GPU related, wouldn't the download still have been running?

I directly stated in my post what I would do. You could also go the route of drivers, as trents just suggested.

What I meant by that was what PSU would you recommend. I didn't word it right I guess

Seems it freezes if I let it sit idle for too long... Im gonna let it sit with no downloads or anything running and see if it still freezes up. I'll report back in the morning

Honestly not a whole lot. I'll have to pay shipping and a restocking fee for the PSU return. I'd say... Around $100? $120?

Alright I'll look around. I noticed that when it freezes, the light that lets you know the comp is busy doing something completely shuts off. No flickering or anything. Hard drive going maybe?

Also, I should probably mention that on the very first power on, there was a weird kind of popping noise followed by a smell of something burning. Could that have anything to do with it?

Back