• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Freezing. PLEASE HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hard drive going maybe?
Not related.

Also, I should probably mention that on the very first power on, there was a weird kind of popping noise followed by a smell of something burning. Could that have anything to do with it?
That is pretty important information. Turn the computer off and sniff around the computer to locate the smell. I'm betting it is coming from the power supply.

The only smelt it that very first time and then it dissipated but I'll sniff around. Could it be possible that when it happened, something was fried? And if so, what should I look for (burn marks?) and where should I look for them?

If you have a flashlight, inspect the area around where the smoke was, including the internals of the power supply. You should be able to see it through the back. It may or may not have burn marks. It completely depends on what actually failed.

I didn't see smoke when it happened, just smelt that electrical burning smell. I'll be sure to take a look when I get off of work tonight. Thanks for your help Thideras. I wouldn't have even known where to start.

I did a little research and it MAY be a heat issue. All the fans are running properly (with the exception of a missing fin on one of the side fans) and my system is not OC'ed so I don't see why it would be, but I'll install a temp monitoring program just to be sure. As an extra precaution, I'll go pick up some thermal paste and reapply.

I used the ASUS PSU calculator and it's telling me that with my current hardware, I'd need a 950w PSU... That seems a little overkill. Thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry for all the double posts...

EDIT 2: Just put in an RMA request for the PSU. Will be getting a refund and purchasing a better unit. Here's to no other hardware being fried because of it... you can't see me but I'm toasting

Last edited:
Most power supply calculators over-estimate the wattage. A crap 950w would probably work, but you would need a much "lower" wattage quality unit. This is usually because those junk power supplies are way overrated on their wattage, where a good unit can actually put out the advertised performance.

This is why you see "900w" $45 power supplies, they are complete junk.

True, but that is way more than what you need. Might as well save the money and upgrade later if you decide to upgrade. If you really want it, don't let me talk you out of it, though. That is a good unit.

Ran Prime95 for a few hours and everything was good. CPU temp peaked at 60C. Hadn't been freezing in the past couple days until today when I ran BF3. Ran PC Probe II to monitor temps while playing and they were all good. Froze anyway. So now that I've ruled out it being a temp, PSU, or memory problem, I'm gonna see if the problem lies in one (or both) of my HD 6870s. I've disabled Crossfire and disabled one of the cards from the device manager. Will try running BF3 again and see if it still freezes.

Could be a driver issue as well. Try a different driver. When you disable xfire and disable one of the cards in device manager, do you unplug it and remove it from the machine?

No I didn't unplug and remove just disable. Should I remove? I'll try different drivers as well

I would definitely thing the popping and electrical burning smell has something to do with it as that's never a good thing. I don't know much about drivers or your cards though, I haven't had any such problems. :shrug:

While I was overclocking my graphics card I would occasionally get a driver crash that would freeze the screen for a few seconds, but then it would recover and all would be well again. Maybe if it is your driver, it's crashing and not recovering. It could also be a combination of the two, for example a capacitor or something blew on one of your cards and now it's not getting the proper voltage and it is causing the driver to crash and never recover. Definitely remove the second card completely and test the other one alone. Then if you still have problems, take out the one that's still in your main slot and put the other one in there. You could also try removing both and using the onboard GPU for a little while to see if it randomly crashes without any add-on cards.

Looks like a set of drivers on one of the GPUs was not working properly. Reinstalled and testing GPU #1 now.

Connected to a server and as it was connecting I switched to BF3 program. Froze at black screen. Will give it a 2nd try an then proceed to test GPU #2

On 2nd try of first GPU and no freeze yet. Will now swap GPU 2 in same slot and try

Back