• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random system lockup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So - this is frustrating. There is not a pattern, completely random and sometimes it happens right after I restart. I am getting random system lockups. Not blue screens, just my system randomly locking up. Tested my memory and that came back fine. I ran a prime test - it locked up during the prime test however, restarted my computer and it's been running now just fine. I am clueless as to what could cause random freezes sometimes in multiple successions after restarting.

No new hardware installed, I am going to run a virus scan after this prime test runs a little longer. Anything ya'll see with the CPU or settings? It's frustrating being in the middle of something that is not even intensive application and just randomly freezes.

Attachments

• example 1.png
    example 1.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Nothing sticks out to me Gator. After your Virus / malware scan. Check for recent M$ updates / driver updates or new software

The first thing to do when having issues after a long time with an overclock is to return to stock and see if the issues disappear. If the issues are no longer evidenced, then you need to begin a gradual overclock to see what has changed. I guess that has been the first thing I have heard advised over the last 16 years or so in many different forums I have hung around in. If the failure is at stock as well, then you have some component likely failing or it is time to check out windows for trojan or the like.
RGone...

Appreciate all the advice. I can't think of a way to check the nbridge voltage in windows. So when I finish my scans I will look.

I'll do the same with turning the CPU back to stock once I finish everything.

Most of us bump the CPU_NB up from 1.185V to <>1.25V to help with stability in general when overclocking an FX processor as it just seems to help. Especially so if CPU_NB speed is in the plus 2400Mhz range. No way to really check CPU_NB voltage from windows that I know of easily.
RGone...ster.

Most of us bump the CPU_NB up from 1.185V to <>1.25V to help with stability in general when overclocking an FX processor as it just seems to help. Especially so if CPU_NB speed is in the plus 2400Mhz range. No way to really check CPU_NB voltage from windows that I know of easily.
RGone...ster.

Just checked. NB is at 1.225. I bump it and see if anything changes.

This happened to me a little while ago, and what happened was that Windows updated my video card drivers automatically (not sure how, I have it set to notify me only). Since we both have NVidia products, maybe that's the problem?

I also had a couple of small pings on my AV that i took care of as well, so that might have been the cause/cure.

Just a quick update, I ran thought and made sure everything was up to date with drivers, bumped the NB to 1.25 and things seem to be back to normal...

Good maybe it will stay that way again for awhle. Most overclocks seem to waver after being a certain way for awhile anyway.
RGone...

Back