• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Read/Write SMART Errors - coming and going.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well, I'm in the process of building a NAS with 5x2tb WD Green drives when I ran into a slight problem. 2 of the drives were in my wife's rig for about the past year acting as typical storage drives and I took them out last night and hooked them up to my computer for testing. I ran HD Tune on them for fun when I noticed a large amount of Read/Write SMART errors on one :/

errors.png

The thing that prompted me to check this was the drive was making a lot more noise than the other green drives. Not so much the click of death but just out of the ordinary louder clicking. The drive has never given any issues or performance problems. If you notice the write errors data had a number last night, but not today. I ran the WD Extended Test over night...not sure if that did anything, but it passed with no error codes at all (short and long).

Not sure what to do with the drive...nas is going to be raidz for 4 disks to start is perfect, I guess just leave the odd one out?

As drives get larger and more dense, the SMART error rate tends to go up. If you're concerned about the possibility of a future failure, then perhaps you could leave it as a hot spare?

Back