• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Realbench shows 0c temp on Ryzen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Ran some Realbench stress tests on my wife's computer. It has a Ryzen 1600 CPU. Temp in Realbench user interface shows 0c.

Just wondered if anyone else is having that same issue with Ryzen and Realbench.

Last edited:
So....

Are we using Real TEMP to monitor temps? I thought Real Temp supported Intel only?

Or perhaps Real Bench is reading 0c?

Help this confused reader please!

Realtemp is for Intel CPUs, yep...Coretemp reads both. :)

EDIT: Yeah, title says Realtemp, then you mention Realbench. Which is it? I wouldn't use Realbench's anyway...

Thanks for catching that, ED. I meant Realbench. I'll edit that.

OK thank you guys, wasn't sure....

Tried on the Ryzen 3 1200. I have the same results. No temp reading.

I do know the Athlon Ryzen processors also do not give a reading once frozen. I know that doesn't apply directly to the thread, just thought I'd share that tidbit of information.

ShrimpBrime, what do you mean by "once frozen"?

@ShrimpBrime
The X Ryzens (including TRs) can report negative temps (between -10 and -27, depending on model), but non-X will bottom out at 0, as the temp register holds an unsigned value (can be 0 or positive)

@ShrimpBrime
The X Ryzens (including TRs) can report negative temps (between -10 and -27, depending on model), but non-X will bottom out at 0, as the temp register holds an unsigned value (can be 0 or positive)

Where is the "temp register" value found? Is this a registry key? Why does this happen with Ryzen and not with Intel CPUs? Does this represent a coding error somewhere in Windows?

@ShrimpBrime

I think your values are off a bit there. I've had temps reported below -27c with my TEC. Granted not much colder around -29c maybe seen -30c once or twice. That's about as cold as I could get it with the Water delta at 6-7c.

The rig is not set up for TEC cooling at this time to actually prove other wise. My lowest temp recorded in a screen shot is actually 26.5c all 16 threads at 4ghz, was getting a little colder at the same frequency and SMT disabled.

2700X TEC 4Ghz idle temp.png

ShrimpBrime, what do you mean by "once frozen"?

Anything 0c and below I think is frozen. Kinda like what you see above. As mentioned by the Coldest, temps and readings will vary on models and could vary on motherboard models also. I'm not sure about motherboards and how the temps are reported and or if it makes a difference.

Additional Comment:

Yes I like using Gpu-z for a Cpu temp reading. It's quick and simple and I can monitor the Gpu simultaneously.

Last edited:
@trents

It's an internal register in the "NB" part of the CPU accessible by software. It has nothing to do with registry or operating systems, it's a hardware register.
The DTS in Ryzen reports absolute temperature, with the X chips having an additional offset. 1xxx series had a -20C offset, 2xxx series has a -10C offset, and all the TR chips that I'm aware of have a -27C offset.
Intel DTS reports a delta temperature from TjMax. If the CPU has a TjMax of 100C and it's running at 90C, the reported value in the register will be 10C. (Temp = TjMax - register)
Since the register can go over the value of 100, it can in theory report negative temps. I personally never tested that.

@ShrimpBrime
It's probably the super IO chip's sensors for the temp, not the CPU's built in monitoring system.

The Coolest,

I understand what Tjmax is about. What I don't understand is the use of the term "frozen" in this context and why this happens. I assume "frozen" here refers to the reported temp being static. This is a Ryzen 1600 CPU so it has no offset, correct? So it shouldn't be reporting 0c or below.

Oh I see the confusion. Frozen as in stuck at 0c and no reported temp by RealBench.

I speak of frozen meaning exactly that, frozen like subzero.

@The Coolest -
@ShrimpBrime
It's probably the super IO chip's sensors for the temp, not the CPU's built in monitoring system.

Would this be in reference to using GPU-Z for a temp? It reads the same as bios and other software. Accurate on Core 0.

Other monitoring software I use reports temps that look reasonable but Realbench's report shows 0c no matter how hard the CPU is working. Why does not Realbench work on this CPU? That's what I'm asking.

I double checked, and it's indeed possible for some Ryzen CPUs to report temps down to -49 (plus the negative offset on X parts), but I think it's only relevant for 2nd gen Ryzens.

Other monitoring software I use reports temps that look reasonable but Realbench's report shows 0c no matter how hard the CPU is working. Why does not Realbench work on this CPU? That's what I'm asking.

Much like Real Temp, Real Bench is probably also geared more towards Intel. Be happy you can stress test with it.

it just cant read the sensor/register is what I imagine...

it just cant read the sensor/register is what I imagine...

Thank you. Simple answer that makes sense. Do you think that is due to the sensors themselves not being in the Realbench data catalog or some masking/interference being created by the architecture of the CPU?

Back