• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really bad performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsteve

Registered
Hi Guys I am very new so please be nice, but I really need some help.

I recently upgraded my system hoping to be able to play crysis but I am getting really crap performance.

So here's what I have. Asus p5B deluxe wifi ap motherboard, intel core2quad (q9650), corsair pc2-6400 (400mhz) ram 4gb, vista 64 ultimate and a leadtek gtx 285 graphics card.

I just added the gpu and cpu recently. I have also flashed the bios with the latest update, and gpu and cpu drivers are the latest. Nothing is overclocked as I have no fancy cooling.

Anyway when I auto detect best crysis settings, it defaults to high, and at a very low resolution of 1280x1080, i still only get 12 fps avergae in game. So I ran 3d mark 06 and my score was only 5500. When I compare this with similar systems (same gpu and cpu) they have 15000. I don't think the differnce is just due to overclocking. So i am guessing there is something wrong, also my cpu score was only around 3000 (is this normal).

I don't know what is wrong, does anyone have any ideas, from what I have read my system should run crysis at these settings very nicely, so I am suspecting that I am missing something. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks
Steve

First off welcome second you have Intel speed steeping on ( should be OFF ) . go in bios and turn it off then over clock that thing even with stock cooling you should be able to get 3.5Ghz and with that setup you should get much higher score than that with mine I get this .
new3dmark06nj0.jpg

First off welcome second you have Intel speed steeping on ( should be OFF ) . go in bios and turn it off then over clock that thing even with stock cooling you should be able to get 3.5Ghz and with that setup you should get much higher score than that with mine I get this .
new3dmark06nj0.jpg

Okay thanksd trickson, you have to help me get a score like yours, even close and I woiuld be very happy.

So I already tried this before posting. I disabled it in the bios, yet it is still running. I know this because when I run cpu-z it says the clock speed is 2Ghz, when I open a game like crysis it jumps to 3Ghz and then back down when at adle. But it IS disabled in the bios, any ideas? Also I the core voltage is always fluctuating slightly between around 1.10-1.56V, but from what I have read this fluctuating is normal?

But any ideas why speedstep wont turn off?

Thanks
Steve

did you turn off ce1 and eist?

Hi,
Okay I managed to get speedstep to turn off by disabling ce1. However after running 3dmark my score is still only 7048. I don't understand why its so low. Its less than half of yours trickson. That can't all be through overclocking, I guess something is just not set up correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

can you take a screenshot with CPUZ, GPUZ, and Realtemp open? have CPUZ on the CPU, Mainboard, and Memory tab.

Do you have your video card set to high MSAA, Antitropic, ect?

If you set those high in your video card settings, they will run in 3dmark06 and KILL your score. Check that.

yea just open 3dmark and run it at default settings...also open gpu-z and check if its running at 16x or at 1x i bet its running at 1x....

Make sure all you settings in the Nvidia control panel are set to highest performance setting possible. If they are set to quality it will kill your scores.

Make sure all you settings in the Nvidia control panel are set to highest performance setting possible. If they are set to quality it will kill your scores.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I finally found out what the problem was and yes I guess it was a very stupid mistake, but at least it's solved. Just in case anyone else is as stupid as me, the problem was that when I installed the new graphics card, I didn't realize that it was only running at PCI 1x instead of the x16 it should have been. So I just upped the northbridge voltage a bit, and hey presto, crysis and all my other games run like a dream.

However I would like a little bit more help from those with more experience. I managed to overclock my cpu a bit. It's a q9650. I got it up to 3.6 Ghz very easily.

But I have three questions, if you guys could help:

1, I bought a new cooler, and fitted it with artic silver 5 thermal paste. I was very careful to apply as little as possible. The temperature readings seem very nice 56 degrees maximum under load. But at idle the core temps are 33,32,40 & 37 respectively. Should they be that different between the cores, or have I not applied the paste evenly enough?

2, How far do you think I could go safely up to, I guess in temperaure terms with the overclock. I have no watercooling, so what is a safe temperature underload for this processor. I will then overclock some more to reach this.

3, Again, I am a beginner so sorry for this stupid question. But if I over clock more, do I also have to change the ram. I currently have 400 FSB and 9 multiplier on the CPU. I assumed that the ram frequency had to be a multiple of this, is that correct? So I changed it to 800. I am probably wrong, but I am sure someone can help.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Back