• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can ask that sort of question in a new thread next time - no reason to ask about a no name PSU in a thread for recommended PSUs. ;)

The answer however? It's junk:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3085

Made by Youngyear, which doesn't get much press because they generally make junk, but here's some bad press. This youngyear manufactured unit started melting on test #3, and they RMA'd it, and the replacement unit also started melting but from a different spot:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/23/450w500w_psu_battle_royal/3

The first unit from this review, also built by Youngyear, arrived DOA. It's replacement was working, until the hotbox test where it failed:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=144

And my girlfriend thinks the PCB pictures look like a little town, FWIW. :thup:

Thanks you very much and i will next time and plus i bought it for $10.00 w/ shipping and the guy paid like $7.50 to ship it..

For the Hiper M300 PSU, the solder job, shown at Jonny Guru, reminds me of the "Braview" PSU scam.

Also from Jonny Guru:

"doesn't appear to be UL certified for operation in North America"

Looks like that makes sense!

22 Oct update complete. I can also scour HardOCP for more tonight :)

EDIT: Seems like Jonny did a thorough clean sweep, nothing else to add from HardOCP... Good job Jonny! :thup:

Last edited:
The NZXT Hale90 and Kingwin Lazer 90's have been reviewed and meet all your criterion with JonnyGuru. Likewise, the Super Flower Golden Green series is essentially the same PSU (looks identical to the Kingwins externally) except they use some german made infineon caps instead of japanese nippon cemi-con caps.

Needless to say, they're all semi modular and 80+ Gold rated.

The only annoyance with my unit is the LED fan, I'd prefer no lights really. Lights keep me awake at night.

Last edited:
The NZXT Hale90 and Kingwin Lazer 90's have been reviewed and meet all your criterion with JonnyGuru. Likewise, the Super Flower Golden Green series is essentially the same PSU (looks identical to the Kingwins externally) except they use some german made infineon caps instead of japanese nippon cemi-con caps.

Needless to say, they're all semi modular and 80+ Gold rated.

The only annoyance with my unit is the LED fan, I'd prefer no lights really. Lights keep me awake at night.

Links would be nice :sn:

But yeah, verified and added what I didn't already have - but cannot verify the Super Flowers until I have a hot crossload / ripple for it. Doesn't have to be Jonny.

Just scanning through that list, I see the Xigmatek NRP-PC502 500W on the recommended list.

When referencing the review, it was less than satisfactory and only scoring a 5 on performance.

This unit should not be recommended.

Why did the Silverstone Strider plus 750W Modular make the list and the nothing on the Silverstone Strider plus 500w? Funny how the Silverstone strider plus 500w has great reviews on new egg would like to see more 500w modulars on your list...
Can you update the list please and do a review on the Silverstone strider plus 500w?
Can't find anywhere that sells the cougars700w? Please update your list...

Why did the Silverstone Strider plus 750W Modular make the list and the nothing on the Silverstone Strider plus 500w? Funny how the Silverstone strider plus 500w has great reviews on new egg would like to see more 500w modulars on your list...
Can you update the list please and do a review on the Silverstone strider plus 500w?
Can't find anywhere that sells the cougars700w? Please update your list...

Please don't compare Newegg reviews with our professional reviews. The 500w Strider wasn't tested by our Oklahoma Wolf but he tested approximately 20 others from Silverstone.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews

Here's a 400w Strider test, a similar unit:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/01/22/silverstone_strider_st400_400w_power_supply/1

yeah, newegg reviews are just people like you and I but with less knowledge. Do not use newegg reviews to compare...

Man does this need updating....

yeah, newegg reviews are just people like you and I but with less knowledge. Do not use newegg reviews to compare...

Man does this need updating....

That is very true. I bought a power supply there for my new build. It's rated at 650 watts. Does it work fine, yea it does. Have a I really tested it, no. My system as it is only pulls about 200 watts while running folding. I have no idea whether the P/S I bought will deliver the full 650 watts and it be good, clean, stable power or not. All I can post on newegg is that it supplies power and it works and maybe comment on the noise level and such.

Just because something has a lot of positive reviews does not mean it is tested, certainly not to the level they are tested to be added to the list here.

:D :D

Sorry, I also forgot a lot of their stuff gets bad reviews, due to DOA and bad packing.
But even with the list here there are a lot you can't find on that, it gets a bit frustrating is all.
it didn't take me that long to pick a motherboard, that was easier than picking a good power supply.
Thank you RollingThunder and EarthDog

Last edited:
Back