• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck nix & Krusty sorry to hear your going through the same crazyness I am.

Thanks Brolloks, I appreciate your help. Ill call now and see whats up.

if i were to guess, I'd say this stuff was switched by the case at the very least.

The amount of effort taken to fake the packaging, heatsink, and CPU is far too great to just do a couple switcheroo's. This is probably someone in a warehouse or shipping facility swapping things out a case at a time.

Man that's pretty gutsy to say the least :eek:

Ouch that sucks. At first I though you where really going overboard with documentation til I saw the fan... well what would of been the fan.

Hope it get resolved quickly. I hate waiting for a new build.

good luck nix & Krusty sorry to hear your going through the same crazyness I am.

Thanks Brolloks, I appreciate your help. Ill call now and see whats up.

I don't need to deal with it :D. I work in IT at a rather large company. I got to find the cpus. Someone else gets to deal with getting them returned. I just hope we get to keep the heatsinks so I can keep them at my desk as little trophies.

the documentation tries to encompass the feelings i had while opening the box. I went from pure excitement waiting to see the cpu, too feeling nervous when it rattled weird in the box, to uneasy reading the shoddy text, to somethings is up when i lifted the sticker, to WTF when i saw the fan!!! at that point i thought I ordered something crazy. reasearched some stuff, checked the label and did some searches, looked at the cpu.... and finally felt defeat.
I had to throw some comedy in my documentation or I would just be feeding the feelings of frustration, anger, and that awful feeling of having to wait for something you thought you allready had and were so excited to finally get your new PC going....

Holly crap! I'm sure there are many other fakes out there because if they went to the trouble of creating that box then they probably made serveral. BTW, that little cut out in the retail box should show the cpu inside not the fan.

haha send me one if you do krusty.. i returned mine. That would be great

Holly crap! I'm sure there are many other fakes out there because if they went to the trouble of creating that box then they probably made serveral. BTW, that little cut out in the retail box should show the cpu inside not the fan.

The box has 2 cuts. One on the top shows the fan and heatsink. One on the side shows the heatspreader of the cpu. Both of those were faked sufficiently enough to make it not very noticeable when looking at it through the cutouts.

Ouch that sucks. At first I though you where really going overboard with documentation til I saw the fan... well what would of been the fan.

Exactly what I thought initially. I kept asking myself, "Now why does this guy care about seeing the stock fan through the box cutout?"

Then I scrolled down.

We need to get the Intel MIB and their counterfeit agents to investigate this, I bet you they are swicthed at the Intel warehouse by the truckload and sold on the black market in the China or South America...this is not some dummy crook who is out to make a few hundred bucks here.

Updated title to be more reflective of the topic - WOW. Dreadrok, glad you are in good hands. The Newegg support guys always take good care of our members. :thup:

We need to get the Intel MIB and their counterfeit agents to investigate this, I bet you they are swicthed at the Intel warehouse by the truckload and sold on the black market in the China or South America...this is not some dummy crook who is out to make a few hundred bucks here.

I believe the security team at my company is already working on that. We have several contacts at Intel and a pretty hefty corporate reputation to boot. So I'm sure Intel will be catching wind of it today if they haven't already.

Use the forum uploader for images, imageshack forces hotlinking on thumbnails only which doesn't work with the forums image resizer.

so i made it to anandtech.. does that mean i win.. or still fail with no cpu?! anyway ups just dropped off the last of my stuff.. so.. untill i get my cpu im going to start assembling stuff... kinda lack luster if you ask me tho.

ill upload pics of my build if n e one cares at this point.. im pretty sure im not topping myself with the fake i7 incident tho.

oh also.. i contacted newegg and they said they are putting a rush on my i7 and the the RMA was verified and they were way sorry. also everything from the warehouse were the cpu was shipped... is now frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back