• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*runs off to check eBay for someone selling a rather large quantity of OEM i7 920s*

Appears 300 of the 2000 in the shipment are fakes, newegg has pulled them from their inventory.

Yea, ya really gotta wonder how they are going to try to sell these things without getting noticed. :sly:

i know you could probably sell these fakes back to intel for more than the real one cost to begin with lol

Yea, ya really gotta wonder how they are going to try to sell these things without getting noticed. :sly:
for all we know these were swapped out from the back of the tractor trailer that delivered them and were already sold weeks ago.

They also have some more info posted on this issue at [H]ardOCP right here. It seems that Newegg got 300 counterfeit processors out of a 2000 order from a company called D&H Distributing. I don't think I would want to be in D&H Distributing's shoes right about now. Intel is also involved in the investigation too I believe

I lived in Singapore the past few years and there was a big market for stolen Computer components there because HEAPS of components are made in Malaysia. Computer stores congregated together there and some of them would receive components MUCH before the other stores and would be selling them for outrageous prices. Sadly, People knew what was going on, but continued to fund these thieves by buying the stolen parts.

Fake or not it is not something you could make up in your basement with an inkjet printer, these guys had a plan...good thing they are going to sweat a bit in the Intel interogation chambers.

Last edited:
that would never happen to amd chips lol they dont cost enuff lol this is by far the craziest thing i have ever seen lol im sorry for the ones that got screwed but its funny and strange lol

HOLLY CRAP! talk about a scandal! And some time an effort into making fakes!

It almost looks like they took a mold of an actual i7 and made metal replicas!

If you get to keep your fake id friggin frame it and put it in a glass case!

are you kidding, it can happen to ANY place really, its jus tno likely to happen often

im wondering where they made the clear plastic packaging,by the looks of the first picture they didn't use original intel plastic(it looks to cheep of a plastic) insides so they had to have access to a blow mold machine.so it wasn't to small of an outfit.

HOLLY CRAP! talk about a scandal! And some time an effort into making fakes!

It almost looks like they took a mold of an actual i7 and made metal replicas!

If you get to keep your fake id friggin frame it and put it in a glass case!
are you kidding there going to want all of them to look for fingerprints and other clues this is like a $80,000 theft.i wouldn't doubt it if the people responsible are reading this post by now.

well yea you could do that but to make 300 of them?seems like alot of work lol

someone call cnn and get this on the news this is so crazy i cant believe it. i wont one of those fakes someone send me one please lol

Holy crap... that's... i honestly don't know what to say to that... that had to take a ton of time and effort... they better catch the people that are behind this. I'm glad i got my i7 in 08.

Who would do something like this though...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back