• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading through this thread I still can't believe this is real man. It's every where all over the internet... this is by far the strangest highest I've ever seen pulled off. I'd never expect something like this to happen and I can only imagine what all these people who actually got one were thinking.... I was going to take out a loan from school and buy an i7 next week.

Not tryin' to be a downer but thank god this happened before I bought one =/

Holy crap... that's... i honestly don't know what to say to that... that had to take a ton of time and effort... they better catch the people that are behind this. I'm glad i got my i7 in 08.

Who would do something like this though...?

Who knows... dirty thieves...

Man that really sucks, but they ,, the counterfeiters sure did go to allot of trouble to make them,

Man that really sucks, but they ,, the counterfeiters sure did go to allot of trouble to make them,
yea they did! i bet the switch happened off the back of a truck,that's when the security of items like these are at there weakest

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that nobody noticed these before shipping them out to customers. Not only newegg, but D&H and anyone else downstream from the thieves....I hope they get caught :rolleyes:

I have read several of these reports today and most claim 300 i7 920 CPUs were fake out of 2000. Newegg sells the 920's for 288.99 each with free shipping. 300 x 288.99 = $86,697.00 Thats a lot of money for making 300 fake CPU boxes. I really hope these dirt bags get caught.

I have read several of these reports today and most claim 300 i7 920 CPUs were fake out of 2000. Newegg sells the 920's for 288.99 each with free shipping. 300 x 288.99 = $86,697.00 Thats a lot of money for making 300 fake CPU boxes. I really hope these dirt bags get caught.

I couldn't agree more. Dirty thieves...

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that nobody noticed these before shipping them out to customers. Not only newegg, but D&H and anyone else downstream from the thieves....I hope they get caught :rolleyes:

I had the thing in my hands and didn't notice anything until opening it. If you aren't looking VERY carefully, you wouldn't know the wiser, even if it was sitting right next to the real thing.

:eek:
this is more extreme than anything i've seen in China (yes i'm Chinese).
i've seen DVD movies printed with Blueray stickers on them...in a Bluray disc box.

I'm surprised the crooks bothered to include a blank manual. They could have easily skipped that one and saved a whole $0.10 per fake CPU box.

I noticed the CPU were labeled as made in Costa Rica. What are the chance it got switched there as it was being shipped to USA for distribution?

I'm glad I don't work for Newegg right now, the quality control people are probably pulling their hair out.

I hope you get it straightened out Dreadrok. But on the plus side, they might throw some extra credit your way.

Wow! If I see that particular batch# i'll remember to turn and run the other way.

now I know why my chip won't hit 4ghz... It must be a fake lol :rolleyes:

I am so happy that I bought an i7 860 last week instead ! This might be on the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back