• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think newegg's response to this fiasco has been good, they've responded and they are offering replacements or full refunds to everyone who got a fake. That's what matters right? Taking care of the customer? Newegg is doing just that.

Newegg is taking care of its customers - although they don't have much choice.

Their explanation is weak though. Not that I'm frustrated with them or anything like that.. Might as well be honest though. Demo units these aren't.

Not to mention that is would have been far easier to use totally legit boxes right off the printing line for "demo" units. And if they were "demo" units, I'm sure Intel would have printed that fact somewhere on the box so that they wouldn't have been easy to mix up with the genuine article. :rolleyes:

Plus the bar code would have been different too as these warehouses live and die with the bar code.

If you are indeed Newegg Customer Support

What's that supposed to mean?

+100

Intel is a multi billion $ corporation and will not make such poor "demo units" with spelling errors on the box

Demo implies that the unit resembles the actual in fit and form and sometimes partially functional, this fake does not meet any of the criteria, maybe Newegg should have said "display unit" :confused:

I hate it when companies lie to people:bang head

And what's NewEgg to do when the multi-billion dollar company tells NewEgg to keep their mouth shut?

Agreed. No reason to lie to customers, especially communities that have been loyal since the start of Newegg. Definitely no reason to make up a bogus story such as this. They couldve simply stated what you said above, as thats the most common response (noone likes to hear it, but atleast its not lies).

See above. Also, "consumer confidence". What happens when NewEgg sends out a mass email saying "You may've received counterfeit product", and they tell their friends, who tell their friends, who tell their friends? Many of NewEgg's customers aren't the brightest people, as shown by some reviews. There are some things that are plain stupid to do if you're a business.

Newegg is doing exactly what they are supposed to in regards to fixing the situation - offering money back (in fill) or a replacement product.

business is business... at the end of the day, they don't owe anyone anything other than that.

"This is our demo unit of the i7 920. We're very excited to be showcasing this particular processor as it looks like no other CPU to ever grace this planet!"

-Intel

The plastic fan thing reminded me of the headcrab from Halflife games.

Was that a completely fake CPU as well? Was the heat spreader make of plastic (or some other non-metal material)? Did you even bother to try to boot with it?

While Newegg calling it a demo is BS, it's probably the best option at this point. I bet FBI is involved since it's a substantial value and likely occurred outside USA. For all we know, whoever made up those fake batch are working for terrorist and are sending them all those money from black market sale.

By keeping some details secret, it becomes harder for those faker to find out where the investigation is and harder for those faker to slip more of the fake i7's without getting caught.

hahaha i love it.... Demo cpus....that made me LOL... gotta love a cover up story.

But +1 for newegg for getting people actual products... it wasnt really their fault in the first place.

I think it was the crazy cult of folders here on ocf that banded together to create the fakes to get some more i7 computing power... i seem to remember a thread in the folding section saying "NEED MORE i7's!" :beer:

What's that supposed to mean?
Also, "consumer confidence". What happens when NewEgg sends out a mass email saying "You may've received counterfeit product", and they tell their friends, who tell their friends, who tell their friends? Many of NewEgg's customers aren't the brightest people, as shown by some reviews. There are some things that are plain stupid to do if you're a business.

But saying they accidentally shipped 100s of "Demo" CPUs to paying customers doesn't already make them look stupid? But at least they're offering refunds...... :rolleyes: They better send along a gift certificate to the customers that got ripped off as well! I don't care who's fault it is that these got into the market, the fact is Newegg is responsible for their product and how all these units got through quality assurance and the very person packing them is a disgrace!

To be honest I'm surprised this hasn't happened in large numbers before. I'm glad to see the egg step up though and make good on the bogus items. I certainly hope whoever did this gets a 'demo' of the inside of a prison cell. Seems I remember waaaaay back in the day when there were some bogus RAM chips going around. Those were actual chip cases with no guts IIRC.

Z

PS: . . . but everyone loves a good scandle right?? lol

for all we know these were swapped out from the back of the tractor trailer that delivered them and were already sold weeks ago.

Sry if some one said this before I did I haven't read the entire thread yet. As for the tractor trailer thing. I drove a truck for a little while so I am familiar with the process of shipping. Every single thing that is shipped the back of the trucks are locked up. Some times just your lock and a tamper tag. Others Your lock and theirs and a tamper tag. Some times the tamper tags are just a piece of tin with a serial number on it that the only way to remove it is to cut it off. The higher the quality of merchandise you are shipping the heavier the tag. Like a truck load of empty coke bottles shipping to a bottler would only get the tin tag. A truck going to Pfizer with countless drugs would get a strap of steel cable with a crimp on the end and the only way to remove it is bolt cutters. Also the crimp will have the serial. The only possible way that a truck driver could actually get it out of the back of the truck and sell it or swap it out is if they have some one they know on the receiving end. And can say yeah they saw the seal was intact and they took the seal off personally to inspect the cargo and everything looked good. The shipping system is fairly solid in this regard. So if I were to venture a guess it had to take place at D&H or who ever the distributor was. As they are the least secure in the chain. If I was NewEgg I think this would be a great time to higher a quality control person or 2 at each of its warehouses. I know of at least 3 it has across the country. NJ CA and TN some where I bought a few things a while back and those 3 popped up on ups tracking. Any way. If they have a quality control person they need to either be fired and or more hired on and or their screening processes changed. Like actual inspection of the packaging. A cursory inspection of the boxes with the ans for and would have been easily noticed. Also the feel of the packaging a quality control inspector should easily notice, and no I am not saying expecting every single package like take it out of a case and hand inspect each one.. but 2 or 3 from a case sure. That can easily be done. Some may consider this a waste of money or time but a company like NewEgg could be seriously harmed if things like this happened a lot. So the potential loss of business should be a good incentive to adopt that practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back