• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the CPU were labeled as made in Costa Rica. What are the chance it got switched there as it was being shipped to USA for distribution?

Fake box, fake labels, fake manual, fake heatsink, fake CPU....what makes you think these were really made in Costa Rica?

Newegg is telling customers who received one of these that they are "demo units".

Quoted from HF posting Formula409:

Just got this from Newegg. I ordered a new 920 on the 4th of March. Demo Unit my rear end.....who do they think they are kidding? A "Demo" unit would not have a fake instruction booklet. A con would do that just for sheer weight.

Dear Valued Customer,
It's been brought to our attention that you may have received a Demo Version of the Intel Core i7 Processor you recently purchased. We would like to first and foremost apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. Please take a moment to examine the product you received thoroughly to determine if you in fact received the wrong product. The Demo Version of these CPUs were purchased between March 1, 2010 through March 4, 2010 and will have FPO/BATCH# 3938B006 printed on the product's packaging. Additionally, the Part Number on the heat sink will read CNFN936612 and there will be no wiring on the heat sink itself. If you have determined that you received the wrong product, please except our deepest apologies. To resolve this matter immediately, simply forward this email to both [email protected] and [email protected] and state which of the two following options best suit you:
Full Refund - We are more than willing to issue an RMA for a full and complete Refund.
Replacement for the Correct Product - If you are still interested in the product, we will issue an Advanced Replacement RMA to get the product to you immediately.
We would like to once again extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and we appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Kindest Regards.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Truly pathetic and a disappointment. Not only is Newegg gouging on prices lately, they wont even own up to a problem :(

I can understand why Newegg's not saying anything at this point. There's a good chance that they still don't know what happened, so it's unreasonable to expect them to announce it to the general public. Have some faith that when they figure it out they'll let the affected know. All they can do right now is take care of the people who got fake CPUs, and it seems like they're doing that well.

Demo huh? I have no idea why anyone would produce 300 "demo" units. That's pure B.S.; why not simply make a box, since that's really all any store or the like would need. I've been building computers for nearly a decade and this is a first ever seen for me.

Someone or group is obviously trying to make some easy $$ the illegal way.

Keep in mind. If Newegg reported the issue to the law. They might of been told what to say and how to handle it.

Demo huh? I have no idea why anyone would produce 300 "demo" units. That's pure B.S.; why not simply make a box, since that's really all any store or the like would need. I've been building computers for nearly a decade and this is a first ever seen for me.

Someone or group is obviously trying to make some easy $$ the illegal way.

+100

Intel is a multi billion $ corporation and will not make such poor "demo units" with spelling errors on the box

Demo implies that the unit resembles the actual in fit and form and sometimes partially functional, this fake does not meet any of the criteria, maybe Newegg should have said "display unit" :confused:

I hate it when companies lie to people:bang head

Last edited:
Dear dreadrok,

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns regarding your recent purchase. I would like to investigate this issue further and can promise Newegg will work toward your satisfaction in this matter.

Please contact me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or [email protected] so this can be investigated and I can assist you accordingly

If you are indeed Newegg Customer Support then I commend you for coming on the site and contacting one of our members to get his issue resolved.

What they should say is "this matter is currently under investigation and we will provide additional information at a later date". Done..

Agreed. No reason to lie to customers, especially communities that have been loyal since the start of Newegg. Definitely no reason to make up a bogus story such as this. They couldve simply stated what you said above, as thats the most common response (noone likes to hear it, but atleast its not lies).

They don't want to give more criminals ideas, it doesn't take much math to figure out that 300 i7 920s is a ton of money.
Better to announce something false then to announce that you can make a ton of cash by intercepting a big rig.

WOW, I would think that the egg would deal directly with intel circumventing any possibility of a shody middleman buying stock from the lowest bidder! (or not genuine)
I wonder If any of these are in stock at other places like tigerdirect or microcenter?
Deffinitly are not display units or "demo units" so what happened here?

Ummm, yeeaaa... a demo unit with specially printed boxes so that fake security tape would look real. If legit, it would have been easier/cheaper to just put actual security tape on there.

Demo = Lame excuse :screwy:

I wonder how much it cost the criminals to make these fakes... if you figure 10 bucks a unit in material and manufacture, they would have spent thousands perpetrating this.

Last edited:
Not to mention that is would have been far easier to use totally legit boxes right off the printing line for "demo" units. And if they were "demo" units, I'm sure Intel would have printed that fact somewhere on the box so that they wouldn't have been easy to mix up with the genuine article. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back