• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh also.. i contacted newegg and they said they are putting a rush on my i7 and the the RMA was verified and they were way sorry. also everything from the warehouse were the cpu was shipped... is now frozen.

Someone is getting a spankin' smackbum.gif

or worse mouse%20cord.gif

We need to get the Intel MIB and their counterfeit agents to investigate this, I bet you they are swicthed at the Intel warehouse by the truckload and sold on the black market in the China or South America...this is not some dummy crook who is out to make a few hundred bucks here.

Yeah, this isn't a simple mix up. This is a whole, juicy, scandal.

Alright alright I'm lost gentlemen. What exactly happened here, are the really a bunch of crafted fakes going around made to look like i7's? If so how are these things making it into companies and out ward to consumers?

Ans thermal
XD Wow

All I can say is I'm truly sorry to the people who got caught up in this. Hang in there dread :(

Last edited:
*runs off to check eBay for someone selling a rather large quantity of OEM i7 920s*

Appears 300 of the 2000 in the shipment are fakes, newegg has pulled them from their inventory.

Here's a video of some guy playing with one,

OK....
I'm gonna be the first one to stop "beating around the bushes", and say it:

I blame Chinese Governement.... :rock:

/runs, and hides in the mountains of Afganistan.... Oh, there u are Osama...:eh?:

Holy crap! :eek: That's really sad that people have to resort to this kind of thing. I hope the people responsible get their just rewards :mad:.

So the fakes look so real down to the weight of the box? That's crazy! :screwy:

Glad newegg rep is on the case! :rock:

Holy crap! :eek: That's really sad that people have to resort to this kind of thing. I hope the people responsible get their just rewards :mad:.

So the fakes look so real down to the weight of the box? That's crazy! :screwy:

Glad newegg rep is on the case! :rock:

Pretty much, yes. As I was opening the box, I noticed absolutely nothing that set off any alarms...until I saw the heatsink was a giant block of plastic. I was walking it over to one of the purchasing guys to show him the "crazy heatsink." In the 20 seconds or so while I was walking over, I noticed one edge of the cpu was warped, like it had been melted or something. It wasn't until I was sitting at a desk and really opening everything up and poking around when I realized the entire thing, packaging and all, was completely fake.

Just hope they catch who is responsible, an obvious scam that some **** is making a profit off. :mad:

Hope all the customers stung with this get it sorted fast. :thup:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH omg i can't stop laughing this is freaking hilarious. I know its not funny for the one who bought it but still.. jesus christ i can't believe someone would do that. HAHAHAHA thats so hilarious. >< ADSaADSFF

the youtube video would be even better if he would curse a lot. WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF?

im surprised they didn't do it with i7-975's,they probably figured that the 920's would be easy to pass off.

im surprised they didn't do it with i7-975's,they probably figured that the 920's would be easy to pass off.

The 920's outsell all the other i7 chips (The cheapest chip to get you on skt1366), The scammer went with the 920 as it's the most common i7 sold. (I would think)

ya it was a HUUUUUUUUGE letdown thinking i had a shiny new cpu.. to find that weird thing

ya it was a HUUUUUUUUGE letdown thinking i had a shiny new cpu.. to find that weird thing

yea i could imagine.i was so excited when i got mine,i would have been floored to get something like that from newegg! its a good thing it happened to more than one person otherwise newegg would have just thought you were trying to scam them:(

yea i could imagine.i was so excited when i got mine,i would have been floored to get something like that from newegg! its a good thing it happened to more than one person otherwise newegg would have just thought you were trying to scam them:(

Silly as it sounds, I agree.

is the OP having to ship back the fake "CPU"?

if not after he gets it all sorted out they should e-bay it as a collectors item

"first ever fake intel series"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back