• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revamp and upgrade: old school style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree. Use the 960 Pro as boot drive, then use platter drives for everything else. I'm using the PNY NVMe M2 drive as boot/proggies drive, a pair of WD 3TB Nas drives in Raid-0 for my games drive and a WD 300GB VelociRaptor drive for my media. Been looking for another one to raid as i'm running out of room on it.

Batz you're going to luv the speed of the M2 drive as boot ;)

The Seagate 320 HDD is going into my wife's rig when she inherits my leftovers from this build.

I just got two packages delivered. Looks like they're both from newegg. Looks like it's too late to do anything different regarding drives. I'm back to the Samsung 960 Pro as the boot drive and the partitioned 1 TB HDD as the storage drive.

I have to run into town. Back in a couple hours. We'll open these boxes and see what we got. I'll post some pics. Then, it'll be time to take the cooling loop apart.

Nice work. Just for grins, replace the WiFi antenna with rabbit ears for the glam shots. Hoot!

Now that's an idea. Throw me another.

Here's a teaser photo to hold you over. That motherboard is a real beauty in a tactical dangerous sort of way. The color of it inspired me to use the dark gray and black on the exterior.

a teaser pic.jpg

Don't suppose you're planning on watercooling, it would be a good use of the top shelf space if you got nothing else to put there... or jury rig more fans for case flow on top/below the DVD, i did the same with my old Zalman Z9 U3 :thup:

Looked roughly like this but less neon :

Watercooling? That's just crazy talk... lol.

Well, I'm batty, so I've been watercooled for 15 years.

Here's a pic from a few posts back and I mentioned watercooling in the first post too. ;)

attachment.php

Sorry, real life took longer today than I thought it would.

I've been reading the manual, not that it makes much sense. I'm having a hard time understanding which dimm slots my DDR4 RAM should be in if I'm only using 2 sticks. The CPU socket is different than anything I've seen. I examined the 7740X around the IHS with a 10X loupe. It looks very nice, completely tight and sealed. I see a tiny uniform bead of dark gray TIM all the way around the IHC. These X-series CPUs are bigger than the regular version. Maybe between that and Intel having higher QA/QC for the elite X crowd, perhaps it won't need to be delidded.

I decided to take it slow and learn the motherboard inside and out. It's truly the heart of the system. I'm still wading through the manual. There are two m.2 sockets. One lays the drive horizontal (like I have it in the photo) and the other is vertical and requires an add on bracket (that comes in the box). I don't like the vertical position that close to the edge of the motherboard. The other socket is out of the way and will allow a heatsink to be used on the drive (that looks like a stick of gum).

Here are my goodies. The CPU and m.2 drive are just laying there posing for the photo. Like I said, not sure if I have the RAM in the right slots yet. I need to do more research. If you're wondering what's wrong with the motherboard chipset heatsink, I hadn't removed the protective plastic sheet from it yet.

New play toys.jpg

Last edited:
Killer setup! For 2 sticks, they go into slots #2 & #4 (going from the left to the right). On my board the 2nd M2 slots (where yours is), disables SATA Ports #4 & #5. I would think your board does the same. Also I have to enable M2 port#2 to boot drive in the bios.

Btw, what power supply is going into this beast?

I gave up trying to squint at the manual, so I finally downloaded a pdf version and now I can enlarge it to see their blasted diagrams. I confirmed this is how the manual shows the RAM should be configured. Neb, are you talking about your z270 board? Remember, these X299 boards are QUAD channel and most have a total of 8 DIMM slots. [EDIT: I mistakenly said dual channel at first.]

I dug into my stash to see if I had any RAM sinks for the m.2 drive.

heat sinks galore.jpg

Last edited:
I got the CPU, RAM, and m.2 drive installed onto the motherboard. Making some progress. I spent a couple hours just studying the manual.

I dug around for another hour looking for a heatsink and finally found a nice one that I think will work. The sink on top the m.2 is just being trial fitted. I have to go back and read some of the posts where to place the sinks. I recall something about a controller getting hot? I have a thermal pad to stick the sink onto the SSD.

That was the first time installing a CPU with a complicated dual lever system. My 2600K Sandy Bridge motherboard (Asus P9P67 Deluxe only has the one lever).

I had an antique keyboard I liked that was my oldest computer component still in use. It croaked in June and I dug another cheapie older moldie one out. I hate it, keys stick (probably too many Mountain Dews spilt). It's expendable, so I wonder if I can paint it to match the case? Anyone paint a keyboard before?

sink trial fit.jpg

Just in case someone skimmed the earlier posts... ;) We're looking at the Asus TUF X299 Mark II with a 7740X CPU, G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 2X8GB, and Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB m.2 NVMe drive.

Last edited:
Yeah I had thought the X299 was the same as the Z270 in regards to ram modules placements. Good call on d/ling the manual in PDF. I've been guilty of doing that too! ;) That heatsink on the M2 looks good! The chipset on the M2 is what gets hot. If the board will be mounted vertical, then you gotta figure a way to make sure that sink doesn't drop off. I added the smallest zipties to mine.

I am so jelly of that setup batz! :drool:

Btw, what power supply is going into this beast?

Same one that's in my signature, an old PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w that was rated 60 amps on the single +12v rail. They went to a stupid quad rail 750w PSU shortly afterwards and it sucked. They have really came back with some great models now though. That 1000w Fatality PSU has over 80 amps on the +12v rail. Maybe I should get it, because while my 750w is fine now, I'd be a little shy of power if I say got 2 power hungry Vega 64s to run in crossfire.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703006

Last edited:
So, that's what happened to them.

I was an Antec guy for years until they stopped making quality and began churning out junk.

Hey Neb, had a senior moment and said the X299 boards were dual channel. I meant to say quad channel vs. your dual channel.

EDIT: Well, they're quad channel if you have a processor with at least 6 cores. A Kaby Lake-X CPU like mine has 4 cores, so the quad channel RAM is disabled.

Ok, Guru3D took a thermal image of one of these Samsung m.2 drives:

thermal image of Samsung 960 Pro.jpg

Clearly it's the hottest on the end where the it plugs into the socket. So I shifted the sink to that end the best I could. I had heat tape on the sink, but as hot as they get, I was afraid the sink might slide off since the board mounted vertically in the tower. Nebulous used zip ties, perfect. I used old school zip ties too. I must say that sink is on securely now.

I finished up file cleanup and organization last night. I put drivers and various useful programs/apps onto a flash drive for quick installs. I slept in late this morning, but I feel refreshed.

I took a photo of the heatsink being held on with zip ties. It works great, nice and tight and secure. I borrowed the idea from Nebulous. Now, using zip ties, is that truly an old school mod or perhaps it might be a redneck mod or maybe even a ghetto mod? Dunno, maybe it's a combination of all those things?

Remember way back in post #1 the photo of my desk? I have that classic old school monitor stand and pull out keyboard drawer. I bought that way back in 1992 for my 386 computer. Definitely old school. Anyway, that handy accessary is looking a little shabby and outdated. Time to take it apart, clean it, and prep it for paint.

While taking breaks from sanding and when I have to let a coat of paint dry, I'll be stripping the old motherboard out and then I'll take the cooling loop apart to see how bad it looks.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
The old Asus P8P67 Deluxe is out. I swapped in the new back I/O plate. Not many people get to see my computer's butt. My cat was trying to help me.

computer butt.jpg

I remembered to take the back plate off the old motherboard that is needed for the water block. I try to put it on the new motherboard and it don't fit. It took me a few minutes to figure out these sockets on the motherboard are redesigned from what I'm used to. The socket is reinforced and lots stronger now. So, my Swiftech GTZ water block fits ok and don't need the old style back plate, because there's a front plate now. But, the little machine screws that hold the block down are too small of diameter. There's a simple little kit that is available and I do Have it on order. You can see my zip ties on the m.2 heatsink.

waterdlock triial fit.jpg

The water block and radiator was not too bad. I used vinegar and distilled water mixed with lots of shaking, followed by straight distilled rinses and more radiator dancing. the water block can be disassembled and cleaned with an old toothbrush. The reservoir had a tiny bit of algae starting. I'm retiring that one and putting in a new reservoir anyway.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Back