• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Romero is back at it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He said its not going to be a FPS.

Some speculate a MMOG, but I dont think he could get the backing for one. So my bet is an RPG. WOOT!

I'm doubtful it will be an MMO. That genre is clogged right now by WoW and Guildwars. Evercrack 2 is pulling in people too. Those three combined with some of the free games (Runescape and the like) just leave no room for another MMO. Romero is smart enough to realize this.

z0n3 said:
I'm doubtful it will be an MMO. That genre is clogged right now by WoW and Guildwars. Evercrack 2 is pulling in people too. Those three combined with some of the free games (Runescape and the like) just leave no room for another MMO. Romero is smart enough to realize this.

I dunno, he DID make Daikatana. ;)

shard said:
I dunno, he DID make Daikatana. ;)

He seems sort of like a tool too, faked his own death hahahaha...Daikatana was absolute trash. I still hear people say "Hope it's not a Daikatana" :rolleyes: I think it wasn't long ago he got fired from Midway (Not 100% sure) if it wasn't that then another company.

twEEkerAreUs said:
He seems sort of like a tool too, faked his own death hahahaha...Daikatana was absolute trash. I still hear people say "Hope it's not a Daikatana" :rolleyes: I think it wasn't long ago he got fired from Midway (Not 100% sure) if it wasn't that then another company.

He did get fired, he "Went seperate ways" Right, am I the only other person that thinks Romero is still full of himself?

Romero has lots of ideas, many of them are good...but he needs a grounded logical partner to sort the crappy ones from the good ones when making a game. Of course, he appears to be to full of himself to share the spot light so I suspect he's doomed.

In the end, I bet there's tons of people a lot more talented then him out there we've just never heard of since they don't dress like Adrian Paul from Highlander.

PingSpike said:
In the end, I bet there's tons of people a lot more talented then him out there we've just never heard of since they don't dress like Adrian Paul from Highlander.

Hell, just take a look at many of these mod teams out there. Just there you have loads and loads of talent. I myself have played numerous fantastic and wonderfuly done mods in my time, and none of them where professional developers. So yeah, what I realy think Romero should do, is start sponsoring alot of these mod teams and such. Would make him look a whole lot better. ;)

yeah, thats a great idea, combining the experience of someody with a strong history in games, with the kind of fresh ideas that only come from the mod scene. something like david lynch getting involved in lots of low budget indie movies to help add a touch of professionalism and increase their exposure.

maxio098ui said:
so hes the person that unleashed that daikatana crap:p

but what other games has he released that makes him so good?
As one of the founders of id he made these games.

Commander Keen 1-3
Shadow Knights
Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion
Rescue Rover
Hovertank
Keen Dreams
Rescue Rover II
Commander Keen 4-6
Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
DOOM
DOOM II
Master Levels for DOOM II
Quake

He also made, Daikatana, Hyperspace Delivery Boy, and was most recently working on Gauntlet for midway.

He was laid off.
Gamecloud - First, what happened between yourself and Midway over the new Gauntlet game? Some reports say you left and other say you were dismissed.

John Romero - Actually, I have no idea WHAT happened there. Needless to say, my boss was let go the same instant and soon thereafter my designers, artists and coders started fleeing the scene.
http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=1907

9mmCensor said:
As one of the founders of id he made these games.

Commander Keen 1-3
Shadow Knights
Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion
Rescue Rover
Hovertank
Keen Dreams
Rescue Rover II
Commander Keen 4-6
Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
DOOM
DOOM II
Master Levels for DOOM II
Quakehttp://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=1907

All the very early id platform titles were total poo, yeah the were funny (in a kind of dumb and unoriginal way) but the UI was so bad, and they felt so clunky (even on good computers at the time) that even the inclusion of pong couldn't save them.

Howertank and Wolf 3D/SPOD were technically very impressive (for the time), but actually rubbish games to play, quality 2D was always preferable for me to shocking low-res 3D. Just compare Super Mario Kart (from 1992) or Super Mario World (from 1991!) to Wolfenstein or Spear of Destiny and tell me which gives you a headache first.

Doom however was and is a total classic. Doom 2 wasn't so well designed, but had a double barreled 12 gague and crazier bosses to make up for it, and the Nightmare Levels just didn't interest me enough to bother completing them.

Quake was good, but only of BIG importance because of 3Dfx. Singleplayer was like Doom crossed with some bizzare brown DnD world, but with less satisfying weapons, not one bit of colour to be seen, and generally less crazy 'blast everything in sight' fun, Duke SP was always a better game. Multiplayer was quite good fun though.

I don't actually think that ID has produced more than 3 really good titles (Doom, Quake 2, Quake 3) and of those Romero only really had anything to do with Doom. I believe that their weakness (and probably Romero's too) is a combination of arrogance (in not looking to the innovations of HL, System Shock 1&2, Tribes, COD and a whole host of other games, but just doing their own thing), and also the lack of any real writing talent, so that the game stories are like a mix a Rob Zombie movie and some other random theme (invasion of earth, samuri, DnD fantasy etc.).

anyway, rant over now, back to Quake 4 ;)

>HyperlogiK< said:
Howertank and Wolf 3D/SPOD were technically very impressive (for the time), but actually rubbish games to play, quality 2D was always preferable for me to shocking low-res 3D. Just compare Super Mario Kart (from 1992) or Super Mario World (from 1991!) to Wolfenstein or Spear of Destiny and tell me which gives you a headache first.

I completely disagree. Wolf 3D/SOD were graphically limited by the hardware of the day. You can't blame id for that. And the fact is they basically created the FPS genre. HL, HL2, etc. wouldn't exist today without id.

I put the original id team - Carmack, Carmack, Cloud and Romero - right up there with Sid Meier as the best game designers ever. There are a few others in that group, like D.W. Bradley for his RPGs and the fine folks at Blizzard who started the RTS craze with Warcraft. The devs who really innovate should get their due credit.

Hopefully Romero has some more good ideas rolling around upstairs. I'm anxiously awaiting word of what he's working on now.

my point was that if the hardware was too limited for a good implmentation in 3d, they shouldn't have done it. just like how VR running on old commodore and amiga hardware was a mistake.

>HyperlogiK< said:
my point was that if the hardware was too limited for a good implmentation in 3d, they shouldn't have done it. just like how VR running on old commodore and amiga hardware was a mistake.
their software pushed the hardware to improve.

true, but a game or other software can be important without actually being much fun to play or very good (other than from a technical standpoint). Duke Nukem 3D was of no real importance (build was totally outdated technology, especially compared with the quake engine) but it was great fun. Wheras Starglider was arguable the first ever 3D game (and so quite important) but it was rubbish.

Back