• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti Banner Ad Rotation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
From the previous thread, and pms with a few other members, I am posting some more thoughts about the Seti Banner Ad:

We have a great ad up right now, but it is all too easy to get used to seeing a Banner, and not paying attention after a while..we can place two more ads in rotation though, which might help them all to get noticed a bit more.

So here are my thoughts on a 3 Pronged Ad Strategy:

#1 "In Your Face" Ad stressing Benchmarks- This ad is in place, kudos to RDD for his work

#2 Science of Seti- some kind of theme/graphic focusing on the scientific aspects of the research Seti@Home is doing

#3 OC Seti Team- a great bunch of people who can and do help each other out as much as possible, and in many ways.

Now, unfortunately, I am an absolutely horrible Graphic Artist:rolleyes: , but I spent some time today trying to come up with something presentable.........and I know that we have talent on the Team that can do better!!
I am posting mine (be gentle:p ) and asking for submissions for more ads as well: we only get 3, nad have 1- that means we need two more.

Any comments, ideas post! and if you can make a banner, please do!

The one I did would link to www.ocsetiteam.com's main page, hopefully giving some idea of science........

I have an idea for one. The first frame or image would be a crop circle or a few of them, then after that some text saying "Want to find out where they come from?", then after that it goes to the seti@home/ocseti team stuff. Now I just have to go looking for some crop circle pictures.

Antimatter said:
I have an idea for one. The first frame or image would be a crop circle or a few of them, then after that some text saying "Want to find out where they come from?", then after that it goes to the seti@home/ocseti team stuff. Now I just have to go looking for some crop circle pictures.

Now thats a cool idea!!

this site has some. (1st site i hit out of 10 without pop ups) . i just did a google on crop circles got a ton of responces
http://community-2.webtv.net/alien510/CropCirclePictures/

Here's what I got so far, PSP keeps crashing on me when I try to insert text, so I'll have to restart before I can continue. I'm still working with the frame timing to see what looks best.

Update:
Here's the newest version. It's kinda big though, 105kb. If I go any lower it looks bad :( If there's anything that you guys think is missing, let me know. Also let me know if you like/dislike. Suggestions are also welcomed. I want something that everyone likes, not just something a few people like.

setibanner.gif

Last edited:
here's my try from the original (supposed to be) new site header/nav. bar.

one down side is i've already optimized from ImageReady, but still end up 170k!! guess might need to reduce a few frames...?

Like them!

I had a play with them, to see if I could get the filesize down a bit.

The problem is that there is too much being put in to the banner. An ideal banner is no larger than 60kB.

They need to be more simplistic IMO, and not contain too much info.

Sort of like this.....

reddeathdrinker said:
I had another go at Landsharks (extremely good!) one, and came up with this modified version....

AWSOME!!!!!! I LOVE THAT ONE!

But how about going in a lil detail saying that were looking for aliens and exploring the universe?

So brain what are we going to do tomorrow night? THE SAME THING we do everynight! Try and find those aliens.

reddeathdrinker said:
I had another go at Landsharks (extremely good!) one, and came up with this modified version....

Looks great RDD, nice job to you and LandShark on that one. ;)

RDD, tks for simpilifed it for me! yeah, i know it's way too big for a banner ad!! btw, do u think we add back those 2 sentences, but instead of rolling up, just divided into 2 part "It's more SCIENCE than just a little Green Man" "Come help us for the HUMANITY!!" and had them fade-in like the "OC.com Seti Team"??

that might give out a little more message and shouldn't add too many frames on it!!?? IMHO

that's called Neuopol Yodems. here u go:

Back