• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

----------------------------- SETI Team Problems ---------------------------

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cy

Well, I've waited a long time to add my thoughts and comments to the issues that have finally become somewhat public. As Kaitlin said I'm also very disappointed in this team.

There are two major camps inside this team who want control of the team and its directions. I belive that in general both camps do want the Team to be successful. I think everyone knows by now that there is TC's camp and SpeeDj's camp. Both camps have a large following of members including heavy hitters and long term members. Both sides have made plans and performed actions in secret. For me the real issue is which side started making actual Team changes without consulting the team membership? TC's side did. Regardless of good intentions the proper thing to have done would have been to bring your concerns out in the open and ask for team input or voting on the issues at hand. NOT starting making changes based on your wishes alone!

I joined this team due to the time Kris took to email with me after I had a major run-in with Daniel. If Daniel had not left I would not have joined the team. It bothers me greatly to hear Kris say that this team is only affiliated with Overclockers.com because we want to be and if we want to change that is all up to us. That is true of the individuals who comprise the team but not of the Team itself. The www.overclockers.com SETI Team is a direct part of the overclockers.com web site and forums. Anyone who does not wish to be affiliated with that can, at any time, leave to join another team or start their own team. You can't just hijack this team and take it away!

I joined the www.overclockers.com SETI Team. If this is no longer that team then I am no longer a member of it. I will continue as best I can to participate for overclockers.com SETI Team but will no longer participate in this NEW team. There are several major issue that need addressing and I will watch to see how they are handled.

1. The name change must be addressed ASAP!

2. The leadership. TC had no right to "demote" J as a co-captain on the team web page and install himself and Basher in his place.

3. Team affiliation with overclockers.com. The original team will always be...is this a new team or the original team?

I will watch and see.

Cy

I've been busy as heck with life lately, so I haven't been following very closely.

I guess I completely missed this faction stuff in my reading. If you're either one or the other, nobody has discussed it with me. I haven't chosen sides because I didn't know there were any. Can somebody specifically spell out what is going on around here?

I say get on the vote and solve this power thing later. The title of the team is what's currently important and it's making people leave.

It seems a lot of people are upset with the team's name change without prior discussion within the team, and rightly so. We need to address this now, as CY said.

TC,
My suggestion is change the team name back to what it was. Then let's have a vote on if the team name should/need to be changed. If so, give some options to what it should be and vote there again.

Just my $.02

katelin said:
It seems a lot of people are upset with the team's name change without prior discussion within the team, and rightly so. We need to address this now, as CY said.

TC,
My suggestion is change the team name back to what it was. Then let's have a vote on if the team name should/need to be changed. If so, give some options to what it should be and vote there again.

Just my $.02

ditto

Hey CY, I think you missed a faction. There is still a third faction, a bunch not in EITHER TC or SPEEDDJ camps. Some of us are still here, crunching seti WU, soliciting help, congratulating others on milestones, etc..

What ever the outcome, there will <probably> still be a "Seti Stuff" forum here, there will still be new users to be helped, milestones to be passed, and WU to be crunched.

AND, I believe this third faction is larger than either of the factions you have pointed out.

I'm still crunching.

Vodka314, we are trying to resolve what we feel are serious issues within our team. If you feel we are pathetic that is fine but do you really need to post such an inflamatory comment?

Cy

It seems that what was (is) behind the name change is SpeeDj's website. I'd like to understand the issue a little better. While I feel we should remain affiliated with www.overclockers.com, I also wonder what the deeper implications are as far as a takeover of the name.

SpeeDj's website does look nice and perhaps it would have been (will be?) a good thing for the team. But the way it's been done does not 'feel' like something that's been done for the team.

As to the leadership issue, I hope that all of those who have worked so hard on the teams behalf can form a leadership commitee of some sort and hash out issues amongst themselves until they have narrowed options down to a small set of alternatives and then present it to the rest of the team for a vote before any action is taken. That would be very democratic. That way we could have the combined efforts of all those who have proven themselves to so valuable to the team working together. That would make for a great team! ;)

None1, you make a very good point and one that I did not mean to leave out. There is indeed a large portion of the membership who just want to have fun and have rested their WUs with us for various reasons. After all, we all just want to crunch SETI and have fun!

Cy

Cy said:
None1, you make a very good point and one that I did not mean to leave out. There is indeed a large portion of the membership who just want to have fun and have rested their WUs with us for various reasons. After all, we all just want to crunch SETI and have fun!

Cy

Ditto, and in spades.

KenCo said:
It seems that what was (is) behind the name change is SpeeDj's website. I'd like to understand the issue a little better. While I feel we should remain affiliated with www.overclockers.com, I also wonder what the deeper implications are as far as a takeover of the name.

SpeeDj's website does look nice and perhaps it would have been (will be?) a good thing for the team. But the way it's been done does not 'feel' like something that's been done for the team.

As to the leadership issue, I hope that all of those who have worked so hard on the teams behalf can form a leadership commitee of some sort and hash out issues amongst themselves until they have narrowed options down to a small set of alternatives and then present it to the rest of the team for a vote before any action is taken. That would be very democratic. That way we could have the combined efforts of all those who have proven themselves to so valuable to the team working together. That would make for a great team! ;)

I agree with this and with all of the facts not being presented, care must be exercised not to unwittlingly play into somebody's hand. I have a feeling that when the dust settles, we are in for some very substantial changes.

As I watch a work unit click by about every 45min. I hope they will be for the better.

Why do I stop reading threads??? It always seems that these huge issues (wether in SETI, or general Overclockers.com) allways appear in the sort of thread like the one linked to. And yet I stop reading them even after they get way too many replies to be still on topic. Is it because I truly believe that they are still on topic, and I have nothing to add? Or could it be that I fear a spam-fest starting which I wish to have minimal affiliation with? In any case, I always seem to miss out on these kind of threads where points are made, things are recognized, and emotions soar. (not actually... but you can kinda read emotion into some posts).

Regardless, I don't believe that TC was doing anything horible. Sure, he should have brought it up for a vote with the rest of us, or at the least notified us of the change, but I don't believe he had any malicous attempts at seizing team power (if that is even possible with all us to complain ;)). I believe that he was just doing what he thought would help out the team a little, and thought it such a minor matter (as removing a "www." and a ".com" would seem) that he did not consult the rest of the team.

IMO, it's nothing to quit a team over (I wouldn't quit this team except for a LARGE reason), and is something requiring only a thread (or even a post) to take attention to, and ask for oppinions on the matter. Most things can be solved if both parties are willing for comprimise.

JigPu

Back