• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shallow case with eight 5-1/4bays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

I am looking to replace the case for my file server that is currently housed in a CM Cosmos S. This stays in a small box room and the depth of the Cosmos S makes it stick out from the wall like a sore thumb. The room can be occupied from time to time and the Cosmos S isn't very quiet either. So I'm looking for a case the is shallower and hopefully more silent.

I am restricted in my choices as I need eight 5-1/4inch bays for my hot-swap bays.

The server is using a M-ATX mobo and I don't see the need for anything larger in the future. A PCI-e slot for my RAID card is all I will ever need.

Anybody know of any cases that might suit my needs? Thanks :)

Is it the case fans or the CPU/GPU fans making the noise?

Are you hotswapping 5.25" drives? Or are you using adapters that are 5.25" to allow you to make your 3.5/2.5" drives hotswap?

You could always make your own case :shrug:

In my search for a 9-bay, this was all I could find at a reasonable price that offers plenty of spots for large fans (120-140mm) to move the air. I currently have 6 of the bays occupied by two 5 slot hot-swap "cages". The loudest thing in the case right now is the 2 80mm fans that are built in those cages (1 fan each). If it wasn't for those 2 fans, the system would be reasonably quiet. It's a older case though, so it might be hard to find now. It's no longer on NewEgg where I originally purchased it from.

XClio Nighthawk Mid Tower

I am using a startech 4 bay hot-swap bay. Since my RAID card is a 8 port one I will be getting a second bay soon.

81k5JerClPL._SL1500_.jpg

I will also be getting a 2x 2.5inch hot-swap bay for the servers system disk and system backup drives.

41IlXPnrWCL.jpg

The last bay will be for the 3.5" RAID array backup disk. I just want every drive to be accessible from the outside.

41sCknu8WRL.jpg

Unfortunate I can't find the Xclio Nighthawk anywhere in the UK.

But I have found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-To...UTF8&colid=33YH73ODFG5CX&coliid=I9CYRVTYFXBJR

Seems to be the smallest case around with 9 5-1/4" bays.

71JRg4yKxQL._SL1200_.jpg

That case will probably be the best solution, as few make even 9 bays as I am sure you know.

You may have luck looking into server chassis. Although the cheaper cases are only accessible from the inside. But sometimes not, it just depends.

Thanks ATMINSIDE. Unfortunately I cant find that case anywhere in the UK :(

Its more of the principle, just find a server rack case (it can sit/stand, doesn't have to be in a rack), because they'll typically have a lot of hot swap bays like that.

Its more of the principle, just find a server rack case (it can sit/stand, doesn't have to be in a rack), because they'll typically have a lot of hot swap bays like that.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Also remember, since you do not have to buy the hot-swap bays, that would save money - allowing you to splurge on shipping or other "features."

Norco has multiple different cases that might fit the bill.

I have little to no complaints with the various cases/components I have from them.

http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/StoreFront

I have bought from them directly, Newegg and via Amazon and never had an issue.

Still looking but the choice here in the UK is terrible.

The HEC S400-J01 would be ideal as its a shallow case (also in black) but I can't find it anywhere in the UK :(

I would still need to buy one more HDD hot swap bay however.

http://www.hec-group.com.tw/rackmount_chassis/4u/

I have found ones with built in hot swap backplanes but they are very deep to allow for E-ATX motherboards.

Have you maybe looked on sites like US ebay - then you just ask the US seller to ship int.? It may get pricey, $50-100 for shipping, but if your that limited, you may have nothing else.

After not having much luck finding a case in the UK This is what I've ended up with. It was a bit of a squeeze bit funds was tight after just getting myself a Alienware m17x :)

Will eventually swap out the AMD board for a Haswell ITX mobo :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140404_195851.jpg
    IMG_20140404_195851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20140404_205345.jpg
    IMG_20140404_205345.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20140404_205418.jpg
    IMG_20140404_205418.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20140404_211224.jpg
    IMG_20140404_211224.jpg