• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I? Formula IV 890fx w/ fx8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magnummur

Registered
Hey everyone! I have two questions;

Will the fx8350 work well in my ROG Formula 4 mobo and even for a bit of overclocking?

For gaming would this be a worth-while improvement over my overclocked 970 x4 @3.9ghz?

It seems as if I don't buy now, another generation of processor socket will pass and the opportunity to have a motherboard use its full potential will leave me.

The 8350 according to asus is not supported however for this motherboard but was still wondering if like my good ol m2r32-mvp it will still run a p2 940 be.

Thank you and it's good to see many familiar names in the posts still!

Magnummur, welcome to the forum, for gaming you will probably not see a difference using a 8350 over the 970. I have a 955 be and run it at 4.1 24/7 and a 8350 @ 4.7 24/7. I don't see any noticeable difference in gaming between the two. Take into account I mainly play games that are Gpu intensive.

As far as running a 8350 on the CHIV I have no idea if it is possible, the board certainly has the power to run it.

Thanks Mandrake! I should probably add where I'd really love to see an improvement in performance while gaming. In Guild Wars 2 in World vs World mode or when in huge gravy train mobs of like 50 people, or dragon slaying mobs.

I can run that game, STO and SWTOR at max settings as it is and have 90% of the time really decent fps of 35 and above, except for when you get a lot of moving objects or other players running around doing stuff and I'm certain it's not server/connection lag!

To me this is just like back in the good old days of command and conquer on a 486, if you and your buddy you were playing against and had a truce to not attack until you were both really built up with lots of tanks (like 50+each) then as soon as you gave them the command to move all at once the computer would just drop to its knees and the lights in the room would go dim! (okay, that last part be a bit of an exaggeration but work with me here) :p

The only way to get them to move along is you tell them where to go and don't watch them as they go. But then they'd get stuck on trees and around corners of lakes and you name it. so anyways.... :p lol!

I did some g00gling then went to the WvW forums and looked around. It seems that many users have been hoping since the games release for better optimization so the Cpu was not so heavily taxed. So far no big/startling fix. It appears to read some of the actual users that post, that a swap to Intel would be far more productive than upgrading to an FX processor. Intel's continued high IPC is useful since some of the code is still using only a single core.

That is what I gathered after wading thru what is usually about 60% BS.
RGone...

Last edited:
Thanks for doing some more wading for me and you're right about the "bs" people write. On top of that it's so easy to get caught up reading in other un-related problems people might be having which just makes the time fly by way too fast. I was also diagnosed with a.d.d. as a kid and was prescribed Ritalin which I refuse to take :p

In the whole slew of benchmarks that tomshardware.com did, an I5-3570 sure looks nice and it's price is only $20 more than the fx8350. The downside of that though is I'll have to buy a new motherboard and ram too I guess.

I wish the new benchmarks were out for 2013 as the I5-4xxx are out and their prices are the same as the last year's models.

Just so everyone refocuses however; Will a 8350, 6300, or 4350 even work on my Asus formula 4 mobo with the 890fx chipset? They are not supported, but will they work?

Thanks everyone!

I do not recall anyone coming into the forum using a Fx 4/6/8 series processor on that board, that's the only answer I have.
I wish the new benchmarks were out for 2013 as the I5-4xxx are out and their prices are the same as the last year's models.
This statement is confusing to me, the benchmarks that are out now will work on the new I5 4670/4770 chips. What benchmarks are you referring to?

In addition you wouldn't have to buy new ram if you went with an Intel Cpu and Mobo.

refocuses however; Will a 8350, 6300, or 4350 even work on my Asus formula 4 mobo with the 890fx chipset? They are not supported, but will they work?

Thanks everyone!

Code:
Asus Crosshair 4 formula mobo.

FX-4100(FD4100WMW4KGU),3.6GHz,4C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-4170(FD4170FRW4KGU),4.2GHz,4C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-6100(FD6100WMW6KGU),3.3GHz,6C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-8100(FD8100WMW8KGU),2.8GHz,8C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-8120(FD8120FRW8KGU),3.1GHz,8C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-8120(FD8120WMW8KGU),3.1GHz,8C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only  
FX-8150(FD8150FRW8KGU),3.6GHz,8C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ 	ALL 	
3027 	Beta Support only

The beta bios is there on the site for download.

Okay, back when the first Bulldiozers came out there was a pretty sharp user that came in and had either the CHlV Formula or the Extreme and I cannot remember and not going to go look. But he ran the FX-8150 on his mobo. Then he bought a CHV and tried it an liked the results he was getting on his CHlV better. So he sold the CHV. I say all that to also say this: >> I use an early FX bios NOT made for PileDriver cpus on my CHV and it works fine in fact has worked better for me than any of the SEVEN later bioses.

Now again with that said, I certainly don't think I would go buy any FX for gaming. You have to get the clock speed up. To get the clock speed up on FX you will pay in HEAT and POWER draw thru the VRM of the mobo and it better be a good VRM circuit. I think the VRM on your CHlV board would work okay, but you are not even prepared for the HEAT that comes. You think you have experienced heat but you have no idea the HEAT an overclocked 8 core FX processor puts off when it is running with all 8 cores enabled and that is the only real way in which to overlcock the thing by turning off TurboCore and manually setting the Multplier. Then all 8 cores are engaged and not the normal 4 or less with the use of the Green settings and Turbo Core.

There is one more caveat that I remembered as I typed and I do NOT believe there is a bios menu option in the beta bios for the CHlV that allows to Disable > APM. If it is not in there then the cpu will throttle when the load on he VRMs get high. APM to Disable stops the throttling but hopes the board holds up. CHV's do. There is a work workaround for disabling APM at boot but if it is VRM throttle the workaround must be used.
RGone...

PS: If you game only, then sell everything you have now and go Intel. I work more than play on my FX-8350 and it suits me just fine. YMMV.

You are using a $250 am3+ motherboard and liquid cooling and only have 3.9GHz on a Phenom II x4 970?
i am at 4GHz on air cooling and have temps below 55C, though my North Bridge need a frequency bump, but that is for tomorrow

If you deiced on a high end Intel upgrade, take a look at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1414256
I would think everything you have is compatible with these 2 parts then you can sell yo CPU/mobo
at stock speed i think it is about 50% faster than a phenom II 980 at stock
if i am wrong it is more
and you should be able to push the intel chip over 4GHz

You are using a $250 am3+ motherboard and liquid cooling and only have 3.9GHz on a Phenom II x4 970?
pqwoerituytrei, just because a user decides to run a cpu at a certain Mhz doesn't mean that is all it will do. In addition, as we have said in your posts, not every chip is the same some may not do X mhz when another will. Nor do you know what the OP ambient temperatures are.

i am at 4GHz on air cooling and have temps below 55C, though my North Bridge need a frequency bump, but that is for tomorrow
In fact you are not at 4.0 stable yet, so keeping the topic relevant to whether the 8350 will work on the CHIV would be more useful as RGone posted above.

pqwoerituytrei, just because a user decides to run a cpu at a certain Mhz doesn't mean that is all it will do. In addition, as we have said in your posts, not every chip is the same some may not do X mhz when another will. Nor do you know what the OP ambient temperatures are.
fair enough, mainly trying to figure out which board OP has, guess i really needed sleep if mixed this board with this one
In fact you are not at 4.0 stable yet
it may be stable, don't know yet XP
so keeping the topic relevant to whether the 8350 will work on the CHIV would be more useful as RGone posted above.
back on topic, now i see why OP is asking, thought he had a different board
i think i should shut-up now :chair:

pqwoerituytruei, sorry if I came off a little abrasive. Yes there is a big difference between the two boards as far as compatibility goes. :)

I do not recall anyone coming into the forum using a Fx 4/6/8 series processor on that board, that's the only answer I have.
This statement is confusing to me, the benchmarks that are out now will work on the new I5 4670/4770 chips. What benchmarks are you referring to?
The most recent cpu benchmarks in the charts tab of tomshardware.com are only up to the i5-3xxx series
Code:
There is one more caveat that I remembered as I typed and I do NOT believe there is a bios menu option in the beta bios for the CHlV that allows to Disable > APM. If it is not in there then the cpu will throttle when the load on he VRMs get high. APM to Disable stops the throttling but hopes the board holds up. CHV's do. There is a work workaround for disabling APM at boot but if it is VRM throttle the workaround must be used. 
RGone....[/QUOTE]

I turned mine back on when I got tired of trying to push the 24/7 stable limit. You're talking about the throttling that happens when there's no need for high MHz right?

There's another option for the cpu's and cpuNB's power management that's called Load-line calibration 

Those settings just completely highjack the voltage settings. The only thing goofy about it is that when I manually add voltage to what the stock voltage is set for the cpu, It always seems to add way more voltage on top of my setting in full calibration mode. The other options are 50% or 0% I seem to achieve greater stability when I leave it on full.

[QUOTE="pqwoerituytruei, post: 7537683, member: 124422"]You are using a $250 am3+ motherboard and liquid cooling and only have 3.9GHz on a Phenom II x4 970?[/QUOTE]

3.9ghz @1.51v is what I get 24/7 stable using OCCT as my stress test. It's sitting at the edge of 55' Celsius at peak load as well. I've had it pass through 3dmark at 4.3ghz but wouldn't last 5 minutes in a prime95 or wprime or even 10 seconds in an occt test.

Last edited:
3.9ghz @1.51v is what I get 24/7 stable using OCCT as my stress test. It's sitting at the edge of 55' Celsius at peak load as well. I've had it pass through 3dmark at 4.3ghz but wouldn't last 5 minutes in a prime95 or wprime or even 10 seconds in an occt test.
Is that chip 140w or 125w, compared to my 125w chip that is a lot more voltage 1.4125@4GHz
i think 1.35 was good for 3.9GHz, but i did not try it as i was going for 4GHz (1.3375 failed at 1hr on 3.9GHz)

back on topic, asus says the supported fx chips are beta
not sure if the mean support is beta or the beta bios supports it
i doubt it is worth is, as far as i know a phemon II is fairly close to a vishera, and in some cases phenom II is better than bulldozer
if you want to stick with AMD i would wait for next year when there new chips come out
but if you want to upgrade now, i would suggest haswell i linked a decent combo on newegg earlier, there is another one that is about $10 less but i would rather pay the extra $10 and get a board that is worth 30 to 40 more, i thought about doing that but decided to see how fast my CPU can go instead

Is that chip 140w or 125w, compared to my 125w chip that is a lot more voltage 1.4125@4GHz
i think 1.35 was good for 3.9GHz, but i did not try it as i was going for 4GHz (1.3375 failed at 1hr on 3.9GHz)

According to cupid where it says Max TDP; 124w

I can also without modifying the voltage at all(~1.33v) achieve 3.7ghz 24/7 stable with any stress tester.

I'll bet if I could have someone from here come over and tweak all the power management settings right I could get more speed and stability with less power. Also, it occurs to me that although this cooler for $50 was a great deal, a much bigger one would really help and if winter came back to freeze my basement where my computer room is :p

Those supported chips for the beta bios version are the 41xx, 61xx, and 81xx series which according to tom's benchmarks are not worth the bother or the $$
It's mind blowing to note that a 8150 is on sale at canandacomputers.com for $205 and that my 970 still out-ranks in performance when in tom's benchmarks #1, 20, and 21. The 970 even out-performed the 8350 for the Mafia 2 test!(#21) but that was it.

I want to run the 8350 preferably and for a few single core applications the 4350 has some attractiveness when the frugal side of me nags. I would also imagine I could OC that higher with my dinky cooling system better than the 8-cores.

The 6300 is really good value for the $ at only $125 Canadian it out-performs my 970 in almost every benchmark except one game related benchmark (#21 Mafia II)

Nothing from Intel at the sub $150 market is comparable according to the most recent benchmarks from tom's. I3's kick *** in the single core application department however and bench #21 as well.

Nothing from Intel at the sub $150 market is comparable according to the most recent benchmarks from tom's. I3's kick *** in the single core application department however and bench #21 as well.
oh, you are ordering from Canada and can't get that combo i liked
be nice if there was a unlocked i3... if you are thinking about a i3 wait till next month that is when the haswell i3 hits the market to my understanding
here is a i3+board combo for under 200 before shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1402064
but you cant oc a i3 and i don't think that board supports overclocking

if it makes you feel better your 3.9GHz beats a i5-750 at stock

@ Magnummur I posted already for interpolation that likely a Vishera based cpu 'could' work with the Beta bios made for Buldozer cpu based on my CHV not needing Vishera Bios to run Vishera CPU. That is by interpreting from my own experience.

Since the "working" might be iffy, I doubt I would buy an FX-8350 at its' cost. An FX-6300 is less and likely handle your loads better with the heat the FX's throw off.

OR sell board and current cpu and go Intel.
RGone...

This system I'm using may be sold soon complete minus a 5870 and the PSU! I'm jittering pretty good for the I5-3570 or this year's similar in it's price range for $225. It outranks, and in many benchmarks by Tom's, blows the doors off of anything AMD at stock speeds.

The kid I know is a good lad and fixes my bikes for me, and I want to make sure I'm giving him a fair deal if I offer it to him. So tell me what you all think about this:
ROG Crosshair 4
Phenom 2 x4 970 (gently beat for the last 8 months)
corsair h70core cooler
8 GB corsair vengeance 1600mhz
1 radeon 5870 1gb
Thermaltake full tower w/liquid cooling system parts (has a 16"x4" tall rad, am2+ cooling plate, pump w/reservoir, and hoses)
2 500gb WD Caviar black drives (configured for raid0)
1 dvdrw drive
Boxes, manuals, receipts for the parts included!

no PSU included
only one 5870

$500 Canadian

sound good for both of us?

Thanks for your opinion!

I'll go make a new thread somewhere more appropriate for this question as well as it's gone way off topic :p

Well that's good news, I don't think there will be any issue running the Cpu on that board. There wasn't a concern about that, what was the concern was if the BIOS would allow it. Now that you know that you should be good to go. Though if you really plan on pushing it, you're going to need really good cooling.

Back