• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SHOULD I OR SHOULD,NT I REPLACE MY M/B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevvy

hi chaps, would i benifit changing my m/b to run the 8350,or is mine all good for it, i,ve read that ddr4 is,nt worth the money at the moment, my m/b is 18 mths old, has,nt had any overclocking apart from the 4 weeks i,ve had the 8350 in it, im running a 4.4 and it seems to be running fine, so would i be wise to update or im ok with this one, any thoughts chaps .many thanks :) edit, ive had a look at a lot of boards and cant seem to see what is better, is the formula v-z a better board if so in what way,and would i gain anything if so what? cheers :)

Last edited:
You can't get better board than CHV. Regardless if it's CHV or CHV-Z, OC is the same. DDR4 is only available for X99 boards right now and I don't think it will change soon ... especially for AMD.

You can't get better board than CHV. Regardless if it's CHV or CHV-Z, OC is the same. DDR4 is only available for X99 boards right now and I don't think it will change soon ... especially for AMD.
This^^^^

However or but...

...If you cannot find a way to get more cool on your FX-8350 (there are ways) and you have to trade up, then a quick outline is below:

The big thing that all are pushing now is Intel Haswell-E and the 5820 cpu is $390.00. Probably the least expensive board "I' would pair with it is $255.00. Then you need DDR4 and I likely would put it in quad channel so 16GB in four sticks. DDR4-2666 with a tighter 15CAS is $250.00 right now.

Now that is the new bad-boy on the block. The problem with it is that there are users that have already gone thru more than one cpu trying to get a really fast one. At $400.00 per cpu, that is a hefty price to pay to roll more than once in the cpu lottery. That would have more bearing in my situation as I really enjoy overclocking and want something that has real potential in it and I might find myself rolling the cpu dice more than once. That and the price I totalled up when playing with the parts and pieces the other day was a good $300 more than the total for the get into the Haswell-E game as outlined above. I am a little more picky and have a better idea what I would feel "I" just had to have even if it might not be so so much better. Especially in the area of a mobo. Not to mention getting my SS tuned up ($?). Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

...If you cannot find a way to get more cool on your FX-8350 (there are ways)
RGone...ster.
That was my thought, if you're just itching to do some upgrading Kevvy , spend that cash on some cooling and get a bit more out of your current set-up. That case should have room for a couple of 240 rads.

thanks chaps, its not so much that i want to upgrade,its just that would i benifit from lets say formula v-z. i,ve read that there has been some upgrade,s done on the z. i really don,t want to go to the expence of buying intel, i know you chaps are the oc kings, and you have the bug for pushing everything to the max, i,ve ocd the 8350 to 4.4 and im very happy with it, gained a few fps,and i,m having no issues with cooling ,as my temps are max 48c on gaming on ultra, and no glitching on any part of the set up. so if i wont be ocing to the max, i,ll stick with what i have, i love reading what you chaps do to your systems, but i,m not in the position to spend loads of money, i buy to upgrade and then sell my old stuff to recoup some money, much respect to you all, if i see a cheap formula z i might just buy it ,even if is lets my cooler clear the ram a bit better,as i read that there is a better design to give a better gap,so that the cooler is,nt so close to the ram, :)

As far as I know your board isn't lacking in any way shape or form compared to the "z". IIRC, RGone uses the same board that you are and our fearless leader I.M.O.G. has taken a Bulldozer over 8 Gigahertz on that same board. Whether or not there's more clearance for the ram I can't say. You wouldn't gain any performance by switching this I'm sure of.

I once had a CHV and CHV-z laid out side by side and had to read the labels on the boards to make sure at a quick glance I new which was which. If you get used to seeing each the job is a little easier to tell the differnce. As for how each performs, I run my CHV with about the 5th of 11 or so bioses in place and have had nothing but the later Vishera cpu in it for almost 2 years now. I honestly cannot think of a reason to move from CHV to CHV-z. There might be a reason but I have not come across it yet.
RGone...ster.

ok thanks chaps, so its as i was then, one question, why i my core voltage nearly 1.4 volts running at 4.0 and also at 4.4 ?? any ideas please

ok thanks chaps, so its as i was then, one question, why i my core voltage nearly 1.4 volts running at 4.0 and also at 4.4 ?? any ideas please

The later 8 cores have exhibited that sort of action for awhile that we can see in the forums looking at other users. It was not unknown to a great extent with earlier FX's either. They all had a stare-step voltage requirement. Some speeds and then a jump UP to a higher voltage. So it is not only common it seems the norm.
RGone...ster.

the only reason to get the -Z over the non -Z is memory benching, that's the only thing.
the feature sets differ slightly and that's about all, I own the chvf-z board and one of the chvf boards Rgone speaks of and have benched them pretty hard.

I was benching memory up to 3100 on CHV :) Nearly 3 yo stuff on a modded BIOS with RAID ROM from MSI board -> http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2227530

I think they only added more memory presets to Z but not improved memory overclocking. Main issue with presets is that most were prepared on cherry picked memory kits so they're often not working on regular RAM and you have to make everything manually.

Now when I think about it more ... really 990FX has 3 years and AMD made nothing new for all this time :bang head

Back