• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I reseat my Arctic 7 cooler? Running hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kirts

Hi all,

I recently installed an Arctic 7 Rev 2 cooler on my 3570k. I haven't overclocked the CPU at all, but have noticed that my idle temps are about 27-32C. That seems normal from what I've read, but when I play Far Cry 3 for example, I've seen it hit 80C. Running Prime95 blend test for 10 mins, I've seen it hit 85+-C. These #'s seem pretty high to me for a non-stock cooler. Should I reseat this thing?

Thanks.

Recently i have figured out an interesting Method to validate the Themal paste function.

The procedure goes as follows.

Start the system, let it run for a wile without heavy load (no gaming).
It is NOT necessary to have heavy OC switched in. You need not use conditions where you know the CPU goes above 70-75 on load.

Start CPU-Z and HW-monitor, additionally prepare any heavy load (preferable prime because it works repeatable).

Now read the idle power (Watts) and the idle temp(s). There are cores and package temps, the cores may vary slightly, but their average should match the package temps.

Now Start the load, and see the CPU temps JUMPING up. If you observe this more accurate, you will see a JUMP immediately after Load start, and a continuous further rising until final reading.

Take the reading after only 2-4 seconds after load start, and another one after 10 minutes, or whatever is necessary for the temps to halt rising.

Now we make some most simple calculations:

First calculate the power difference, means P_Load - P_idle.
Second calculate the temp difference of the first Jump, means T_jump - T_idle.

Now divide the Temp_Dif by the Load-Diff - and voila, you have some figure describing the Thermal Resistance of the CPU including Thermal paste to the cooler.

I have had two systems where this comes out to be in the reange of 0,20 to 0,25 on good mounted coolers. If you figure exceeds 0,30 you either have a cpu with bigger internal resistance ( Unusual at 4+cores) or your themal paste installation is bad.

Now for the second:
Calculate the Temp_dif on T_final minus T_Jump.

Now divide this Tempdiff again by the Power_dif, and you again get a figure ion the range of 0.1 to 0.5. This is the thermal resinstance of the cooler under this load.
I can tell that an intel 1155 standard cooler has a value of about 0.3 to 0.4, a Thermalright Macho showed below 0.1 at 60 Watts and full fan speed. (The fan speed of course makes a difference on that, ... it should...and the power does as well !)

I found this method on theroretical considerations on how to choose a cooler for a High end OC congiuration.

I would ask for critique, additional questions and as well for measurements of your configuration.

Update - to mods - possibly i should have chosen a new thread or somewhere on a thermal paste discussion. I couldnt decide on the first one, and didnt find the second, sorry.

Last edited:
Back