• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Beautiful! Let 'er rip Witchy!!

My setup started getting unstable about 6 hours in last night so I shut everything down. Pulled it apart today....there was a good-sized puddle of water underneath the board :( Took everything apart, removed all eraser and insulation, thorough blow drying and getting ready to load it up again. We'll see but 5.8-5.9GHz might be all I can get.

Could be, but I would keep working it , you never know, just may be a case of more cold

I would like to get a couple of those to play with, looks like you are having a blast with it :)

It's hard to find good G3258. 1 out of 5 that I was testing was good enough for cold and it wasn't best anyway. 5.7GHz on dice 1.8V while it required about 0.1V lower voltage to make 5GHz than 4 other chips so these 4 would stuck at about 5.5GHz. I can say if it's making something like 4.5GHz 1.3V then it's good.
At least they're cheap.

Just switched on stage 1. Figure I'll play around with the 2933 sticks today. So far, of all the sticks I've tried, the 2666 are the best but the 2400's were so close will have to retry those.
We'll see.

Update: Managed a decent day. Had to shut down after around 5-6 hours again due to likely condensation :/ Got some decent runs in, here's the best of the day...http://hwbot.org/submission/2665813

Last edited:
It's hard to find good G3258. 1 out of 5 that I was testing was good enough for cold and it wasn't best anyway. 5.7GHz on dice 1.8V while it required about 0.1V lower voltage to make 5GHz than 4 other chips so these 4 would stuck at about 5.5GHz. I can say if it's making something like 4.5GHz 1.3V then it's good.
At least they're cheap.

That is what is nice about these chips, if it dies it is no big deal

Have to admit I am a little gun shy with my 5960x :(

I ordered my 3rd g3258 last night. Is there something wrong with me??? lol

Also, I got an EVGA 01G-P4-2753-KR for $85 from a friend who bought this then bought a gtx970 before the it was delivered so it isn't even opened for $85. I have to say that a 550ti is the only video card that I have ever played with yet and I am pretty excited about this card. I was going to get an i3 too but at the last minute I decided to buy the video card instead.

I ordered my 3rd g3258 last night. Is there something wrong with me??? lol

Also, I got an EVGA 01G-P4-2753-KR for $85 from a friend who bought this then bought a gtx970 before the it was delivered so it isn't even opened for $85. I have to say that a 550ti is the only video card that I have ever played with yet and I am pretty excited about this card. I was going to get an i3 too but at the last minute I decided to buy the video card instead.
Good luck devlos!!! Hopefully this one does you right

Some new sticks arrived yesterday. 2400 pi's that have run 6-10-6 @ 2800+ on ln2. Hoping they'll do well on air and under ss.

I see you are buying memory quite often, have many good kits and you are not really testing them. Someone made 2800+ on LN2 but have you thought this memory can be already degraded or something ? For 2800 CL6 it needs 2V+. Is it for cpu-z valid or long full load tests ? Point is that you probably will be fine with your sticks and on air it will perform about the same.
For benching on ss you will need some special insulation or you will see how burned pins look like ;) On LN2 it's not an issue.

Yeah...i know...have too much memory :/ He did spi32 runs with them...keeping my fingers crossed that they're still fine. Hmmm...hadn't thought about special insulation for running them under ss :( Know any posts or guides that describe how to insulate the sticks for ss?

Will be doing a lot of ram testing on Saturday so will be learning and see what's up.

You just have to cover any pins or holes near memory. I don't know if there are any guides, it's not so complicated but for sure harder than on LN2 when everything is frozen. I had one memory kit burned while benching on dice. Just expect to see moisture between memory slots and in the slots if temp won't be low enough.
You can also notice that some IC don't like cold. Usually something near -40*C is optimal but it's not a rule and it takes some time to figure out perfect settings.

Thanks Woomack! Yeah...you're completely right about my wasting money on more sticks than I need :( Opened a thread in the extreme cooling section....if you (or anyone else) has pics they could share, that'd be great. If -40C is optimal, should be decent with the ss. Going to spend time studying and testing ram so will hopefully put these new ones to good use.

I had the itch for a new GPU and finally scratched it yesterday. Picked up an ASUS GTX980 Strix. So far I'm likin it. Only had a short amount of time last night to play with the new toy and haven't found it's top end yet. So far on Original BIOS and no voltage increase I got to 1488 turbo core. I'm sure it'll have more in it. Stock it'll go to 1.21v and Inspector will give me up to 1.25v. Will likely hit power threshold of 125% before I run out of volts. Here's a preliminary run at that clock.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3173045

980 fire.JPG

For that clock manu the XTU score seems really low. I got over 1200 with a 4770K at 4.8. Do you have SP! installed in Win7?

I had the itch for a new GPU and finally scratched it yesterday. Picked up an ASUS GTX980 Strix. So far I'm likin it. Only had a short amount of time last night to play with the new toy and haven't found it's top end yet. So far on Original BIOS and no voltage increase I got to 1488 turbo core. I'm sure it'll have more in it. Stock it'll go to 1.21v and Inspector will give me up to 1.25v. Will likely hit power threshold of 125% before I run out of volts. Here's a preliminary run at that clock.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3173045

View attachment 156022

Card looks sick :cheers:

I have win8.1, ansld my ram sucks...

Need some faster ram. Going from 1600cl8 to 1866cl9 already gave me 50 extra points. I guess with 2133+, I would be in the 1250 range.

I'll order some trident x next week.

Card looks sick :cheers:

Thanks Witchy, I did notice I was getting awful close to one of your subs with the Ti. Well one of your OLD subs anyway. I did notice you've been kickin it's teeth in this week.

I have win8.1, ansld my ram sucks...

Need some faster ram. Going from 1600cl8 to 1866cl9 already gave me 50 extra points. I guess with 2133+, I would be in the 1250 range.

I'll order some trident x next week.

That explains it Manu, I was diggin the voltage for 4.9 too :thup:

Back