• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The batches and such thing was bunked a couple generations ago. It seems there is little correlation today compared to a few years ago.

I vaguely recall sandybridge being the last where there was a notable trend...?

If it turns out that there is no " MAGIC " in the J batch, I still needed another i7-5960x. Next month I'm buying Fritzman's x99 and need a CPU for it. I was looking at just getting a 2700x to help my benching. The problem is that the x370 & x470 only have 2 x8 PCIe 3.0 lanes. I needed more for my 3D scores to improve :)
^ Yea..that's it :) Logically it sounds great and I get a new toy to play with :thup:

The J batch does seem to be good, mine would run 5.7 GHz compared to batch 3424B585 that would only do 5.2 GHz on the same setup.

You can check out some batch results here if you want.
https://community.hwbot.org/topic/111757-hsw-e-5820k5930k5960x-batch-and-serial-numbers/?page=3

The current chip - Batch L429B919 - maxed @ 5.2 on LN2 .....http://hwbot.org/submission/2816852...n___xtreme_geforce_gtx_980_5423.08_dx11_marks
It worked at the party and I had it boot into windows. There was a Question raised about a spot on the bottom of the chip. The chip works and I was not charged a large $$$ for it. You can see from the included picture that there is a spot. I understood what I was buying and that I would need another chip for benching :) :thup:

i7-5960x Small Picture.jpg

i7-5960x Big Picture.jpg

I have submitted a request to INTEL about it and hope that they might replace it. There is NO guarantee as the processor still works.

-----------------UPDATE 08-04-2018--------------------

I received a reply back from Intel :) THEY will replace my processor....I just have to include a small piece of paper :(

Here is the reply I got back : 1. According to the markings that you provide this processor is out of warranty since June 23, 2018, please provide us with a copy of the original invoice.

I'll have to get the system up and running to prove that it works or have a COPY of ORIGINAL SALES INVOICE.

Last edited:
I take it there was more to that email?

Can you get the original invoice?

If it works, how can it be RMA'd in the first place?

If you can't get the invoice try telling them it was a gift.

Not sure why you would need to prove that it works?

If you can't get the invoice try telling them it was a gift.

Not sure why you would need to prove that it works?

Jiccman supplied me with an invoice. Intel has not replied back. I was able to hit 4.875 GHz @ 1.4125v - using a CM 212 EVO :thup:
I asked Jiccman IF he knew that processor he sold me, was not the same processor that he benched. The processor that he used for his submissions was a - Stepping (2) Revision (MO). The one he sold me is a - Stepping (2) Revision (R2) and it looks like it has a higher OC than the one he benched.

Jiccman supplied me with an invoice. Intel has not replied back. I was able to hit 4.875 GHz @ 1.4125v - using a CM 212 EVO :thup:
I asked Jiccman IF he knew that processor he sold me, was not the same processor that he benched. The processor that he used for his submissions was a - Stepping (2) Revision (MO). The one he sold me is a - Stepping (2) Revision (R2) and it looks like it has a higher OC than the one he benched.

Hay I have only had 1 5960x and that's the one I sold to you. I have used different motherboards but same CPU. I also had 6950X that I benched.

Hay I have only had 1 5960x and that's the one I sold to you. I have used different motherboards but same CPU. I also had 6950X that I benched.

^ I know. Someone pulled a switch on you, I just don't know when.
I received my new i7-5960x (still NIB) with Batch # J545a484. I'm going to install it today and see how it works :)

Cinebench 15 @ 4.5.jpg

Last edited:
^ I know. Someone pulled a switch on you, I just don't know when.
I received my new i7-5960x (still NIB) with Batch # J545a484. I'm going to install it today and see how it works :)

View attachment 200547

I was able to run a quick 11.5 @ 4.7x 1.3125v with a boot strap of 125 for a score of 2050+. I used a CM EVO 212, it completed but hit 100c on 2 of the cores. I need better cooling to take it higher. I was also able to run the Uncore at the same speed.
Any links or advice on the IMC side For the 5960x. I now have 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z @-3200 CL14. They are listed as identical (8GTZ - Made July 2016...8GTZKW - Made OCT 2017) under Thaiphoon.
Here is a link from Woomack's memory testing - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...x8GB-DDR4-3200-CL14-F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW/page2

I have 1 set of - 8GTZ
snap816201811621PM.png

AND 1 set of - 8GTZKW
snap816201811639PM.png

PS: INTEL has approved a replacement for the other 5960x. I would like to thank Henry @ Intel support for his help.

rig.JPG
Just stability testing until my cooler gets in before I put it all in a case. Will post again once I have it all finished up in my case.

ryzen 7 2700x
gigabyte gtx 1080 g1 gaming
corsair 3000mhz ram
samsung 970 evo 500gb
gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi

ssd.PNG

Picked up a Xeon E5 4610 (LGA2011-0) fairly cheap recently.

After buying it and doing some research I realized these were usually used in quad-socket server boards and had nearly no chance of working in an X79 consumer board. By some strange coincidence (or miracle) it actually works in my Asus X79 Sabertooth board with 4608 BIOS, though it's a bit weird in that when you attempt to raise the BCLCK it auto-disables the Turbo-mode/Turbo Frequencies but I found out how to re-enable it after searching my BIOS a bit. Got a small overclock from 2.7GHz on 6-cores fully loaded to 2.85GHz on 6-cores, and from 2.9GHz on 1-2 cores to 3.15GHz on 1-2 cores under load. Doesn't want to POST much past 107MHz.

Back