• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know I finally donated the last one on the weekend. I'm now CRT free

That last picture though! What a beauty!
Those volts make my seating body part clench up! How fast would a CPU melt at 1.88vcore with typical aio or air cooler? I mean it's still under 2 volts, should be fairly safe, right?

That last picture though! What a beauty!
Those volts make my seating body part clench up! How fast would a CPU melt at 1.88vcore with typical aio or air cooler? I mean it's still under 2 volts, should be fairly safe, right?
Air cooler and there's a good chance it would pretty much die on boot (although I boot at "only" 1.6v). That said...this chip's been tougher than I'd have thought. Had llc maxed and too many volts...it showed 1.993v the moment I started a bench. Quick flick of the power switch, hoped for the best, turned it on, no problem. I got lucky.

Wow very nice Stephan. Very nice clocks, especially those sticks.
Thanks Blaylock. My prior sticks were much stronger but, unfortunately, they be dead now :(

Btw...in case anyone wonders...that's an old 9800gx2 in the bottom pic. Very fun card.

Last edited:
Cool! I had(still have) 9800gt(not gx) and that was the last card that was single slot. Loved her!
I'll try not to try anything higher than 1.6 then. I guess throttling and/or safety features don't have enough time to kick in to save her?

I'll try not to try anything higher than 1.6 then. I guess throttling and/or safety features don't have enough time to kick in to save her?

Knock yourself out. There is no safety feature for over voltage.
Stef is on LN2. Unless you are also, chip will be dead.
You are no overclocker. :p

Good benching Stephan! Be cautious of the x265 4k, its a CPU killer.
Hiya Metal! Yeah man....that thing's a bear of a bench. I know a lot of folks that won't even run that one due to dead chips.

Cool! I had(still have) 9800gt(not gx) and that was the last card that was single slot. Loved her!
Ummm....you might want to start around 1.3v and work your way up keeping a very close eye on temps. You don't want to get over around 70-75C under full load. 1.6 on air or aio could be deadly.

Knock yourself out. There is no safety feature for over voltage.
Stef is on LN2. Unless you are also, chip will be dead.
You are no overclocker. :p
Hi Mr.Scott! Guess I shoulda mentioned the ln2 part ;P

Hey!:sly: but I *am* an overclocked! I was able to get my i920 to 4ghz!
Mr.Funsoul, Sir, I was already at 1.45vcore when I tried to break into 4.1-4.2ghz territory. No joy though. She wouldn't pistol.
Anyways, I was just excited to see such vcore!
I was always under the impression safety features keep CPU safe from everything, even rogue vcores

Some motherboard have a vcore limit. We tend to mod the boards, the BIOS, or both in our never ending quest for the magic smoke.

Use core temp to keep an eye on cpu temperatures. If it gets too hot, it'll throttle down.

Yeah...don't enable ln2 mode (or otherwise unlock upper voltages) unless your pretty cold. I boot 1.6v at around -140C.

Some motherboard have a vcore limit. We tend to mod the boards, the BIOS, or both in our never ending quest for the magic smoke.

Yeah, the invention of the transistor in 1947 by Bell Labs is often considered the birth of modern tech, but it was a janitor at Los Alamos Nuclear Facility named Alfred E. Neuman who accidentally discovered that if you don't have a Magic Smoke Safety Valve you can inadvertently create a miniature Black Hole, when he OC'd an electric can opener because his cat wouldn't shut up while he opened the can of cat food. He's believed to have been transported to California and some suspect he ran for governor under the name Jerry Brown. Gov. Brown of course denies this, but refuses to explain the nickname "Moonbeam", fueling speculation.

Back