• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silly Question but I would like your thoughts on it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of what you listed is going to be better on Intel, especially on a 5820K over anything else (other than a 5960X, but that's $1000 for a CPU).
You'll want the cores/threads, for sure.

Most of what you listed is going to be better on Intel, especially on a 5820K over anything else (other than a 5960X, but that's $1000 for a CPU).
You'll want the cores/threads, for sure.

I see, cool. Thanks for the help maybe I can make a smart decision here and decided if I should adventure over to the X99 platform or not. XD Only if I sell my system though.

The 3930k isn't exactly a slouch. Any particular reason you feel the need to part with it?

The only real option to "upgrade" is go x99.

yea I am just seeing if I am going to go X99 since prices are much better now. Before when I did checked it was way to expensive and not enough options. Now that we have more options and prices are better I am checking to see what is a really good future proof route. X99 new build or sticking with my current build and just upgrading the rams and adding one more MSI R9 290X Lightning card.

Yeah, prices on RAM and motherboards finally dropped to realistic prices.

He just has the "new build bug"

Pricey bug for the amount of "gains" hes gonna get with an x99 haha.

Im running same stuff he is most likely, the 3930k is gonna be relevant for a LONG time. I just dont want him to get unrealistic expectations. The 3930k and 5820k are painfully similar in performance, albeit their different architecture. Considering his is at 4.7ghz... its entirely unlikely he will find an x99 thats faster than his without some extreme watercooling.

Happy medium, perhaps get a new case and some fancy watercooling?

Pricey bug for the amount of "gains" hes gonna get with an x99 haha.

Im running same stuff he is most likely, the 3930k is gonna be relevant for a LONG time. I just dont want him to get unrealistic expectations. The 3930k and 5820k are painfully similar in performance, albeit their different architecture. Considering his is at 4.7ghz... its entirely unlikely he will find an x99 thats faster than his without some extreme watercooling.

Happy medium, perhaps get a new case and some fancy watercooling?

The 5820K is ~10% faster in most cases clock for clock. And he should be able to get 4.5GHz+ with it pretty easily.

Not saying it's worth it to upgrade to it, just saying that if he can get that good of a price ($1750+) for his current tower that I'd make the switch.

The 5820K is ~10% faster in most cases clock for clock. And he should be able to get 4.5GHz+ with it pretty easily.

Not saying it's worth it to upgrade to it, just saying that if he can get that good of a price ($1750+) for his current tower that I'd make the switch.

Yeah guess it really depends on what/if he can sell it for.

1750 would get you a solid x99 with crossfire 970's I'd imagine right?

I dunno, 1750 for x99 is gonna be on the difficult side of the fence.

Went significantly over budget running 290 x-fire.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fYWNjX

edit: this doesn't even include an OS or anything else.

Last edited:
Yeah guess it really depends on what/if he can sell it for.

1750 would get you a solid x99 with crossfire 970's I'd imagine right?

I dunno, 1750 for x99 is gonna be on the difficult side of the fence.

Went significantly over budget running 290 x-fire.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fYWNjX

edit: this doesn't even include an OS or anything else.

I linked a build earlier in the 1800 range on X99?

X99 is viable with NVIDIA and a single card...not dual and that budget though. But does he need dual cards in the first place?

Is that how PCPPicker shows quad channel ram bob as 4 individual sticks?

EDIT: It doesn't you have 4 sticks when for best pricing and stability, it should be a 'kit'.

I dont know, for a pittance, I would grab 10% performance gains too... but to each their own!

X99 is viable with NVIDIA and a single card...not dual and that budget though. But does he need dual cards in the first place?

Is that how PCPPicker shows quad channel ram bob as 4 individual sticks?

EDIT: It doesn't you have 4 sticks when for best pricing and stability, it should be a 'kit'.

I dont know, for a pittance, I would grab 10% performance gains too... but to each their own!

It was the fastest ram (2800) at the best price (57$). It was simply how it was listed on pcpp. I would hope by now people can read between the lines lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Not sure where the 10% gains are coming from either? The ram I linked is faster.

Because a kit of 4 needs to be bought as a kit of 4. Otherwise you risk mismatched IC's which can lead to instability.

10% is from 3930->5820

You can buy it as a kit of 4 haha. Its just how it was listed on PPPP for some reason. Its on the newegg link, PPPP just didnt have it listed. If I put one stick of 4gb, you guys woulda been up my butt for that ;) The price was identical, so I just listed it like that. :eek:

aye @ 10%. Not arguing with the x99 being superior... just doesn't strike me as a usable upgrade. Guess we'll see when he sells it. I firmly believe 1750 is a VERY optimistic goal for that computer. I can get a 3930k for 400$ all day, Max. IV for 300 all day, 290x for 300$ all day, the rest of it hardly merits 750$ but maybe someone will want it for that.

You can buy it as a kit of 4 haha. Its just how it was listed on PPPP for some reason. Its on the newegg link, PPPP just didnt have it listed. If I put one stick of 4gb, you guys woulda been up my butt for that ;) The price was identical, so I just listed it like that. :eek:

aye @ 10%. Not arguing with the x99 being superior... just doesn't strike me as a usable upgrade. Guess we'll see when he sells it. I firmly believe 1750 is a VERY optimistic goal for that computer. I can get a 3930k for 400$ all day, Max. IV for 300 all day, 290x for 300$ all day, the rest of it hardly merits 750$ but maybe someone will want it for that.

They have it - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-994207f
Newegg must have been out of stock until the last day or two.

You asked where the 10% gains came from, so I said where it came from...

It was the fastest ram (2800) at the best price (57$). It was simply how it was listed on pcpp. I would hope by now people can read between the lines lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Not sure where the 10% gains are coming from either? The ram I linked is faster.
I don't use pcpp... so I have no idea what quad looks like on pcpp... hence my question (then I looked it up and edited).

Like ATM said, you should buy it in a kit. Chances are single x4 will be fine...but I'm risk averse. But anyway, I see what you were doing now. :)

The ~10% performance increase comes from sandybridge-e architecture to haswell-e... Not in the ram.

Either build would be fine. The big difference between the two pcs that I see is the massive difference in power use and heat with the pair of 290x cards versus the single, or even dual (budget busting), 980. That and if he needs or wants the additional horsepower.

The OP has some.choices to make... if he can sell that build.

You can't get my graphic card for $300. lol maybe another one but not the MSI R9 290X Lightning new for that price or else I would have another one. XD. The chip is a golden chip can OC to 5.0Ghsz does 4.8Ghz on air but I keep it down to 4.7Ghz. and yes I could sell the unit for a lot cheaper but if you can build this exact system for less than $1000.00 then that is pretty good as I can't find most parts cheap new and in some cases maybe used with the idea I would be paying or shipping or paying it one way or another. XD I count all the pennies when deciding which route to take on a build.

Back