• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

small/cheap voltage increaser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

OK here's the idea, putting a fan in my mouse nut the problem is that the 5v comming to it barely make the fan move and i'm also trying to put some EL lighting in one of my keyboards with the same problem. now I know the power companies up the voltage for transport on the linesand i wanted to know if there is a tiny device that can increase voltage from 5v to say 7 or better? Keep in mind it needs to stay tiny enough to fit inside a mouse and keyboard. all help appreciated :)

The powerlines are AC. Computers run off of DC. You would need to get an inverter similar to the ones Cold Cathodes use, but for 5v.

You'd be better off running a 12v wire to your parts.

i think i didn't explain what i needed right. i need some sort of small device which can boost the 5 volts in my mouse and keyboard to 7 volts or better. make sense?

For what purpose? I know there are companies that sell EL wire keyboard kits that run off the +5v line in the keyboard.. If not youd need to look into making an amplifier circuit and I dont think theres enough current to get a tremendous amout of amperage out of a keyboard.. all depends on what you need to do..

yeah i would be using EL wire or lotsa LEDs in the keyboard the fan doesn't draw that much amperage though i would think.maybe wrong.

edit: where can i get one of those keyboard EL wire kits?

Back