• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I hear you guys need a hand? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Guys, I have a lot of rigs at my disposal - long time folder here (#1 on the team incase ya'll didnt know :D ) and I hear you guys need a hand, or rather some crunching. Over the last year or so I have become annoyed with the folding project - don't want to get into it just letting you know. Anyway, I am a massive NOOB at SETI and have very little time to read FAQ's and the like. I want to help you guys out so I'll make a short list of questions hopefully someone can answer :D

1. Is there only one client? I'm windows only if that matters. If there are more than one client which is easiest?
2. Is the install set and forget?
3. Is there a network install for big domain networks? Or is it install individually at every machine? I have ~150 machines or so.
4. Is there anywhere I would need to sign up to or is it all done via client config?
5. Anything else I should know?

I'm making no promises other than that I want to help if it's needed. Who knows, maybe I'll stick around to take the #1 spot on the OC SETI team. :beer:

*edit* Hmm, tried to setup boinc and attach to seti @ home but it keeps saying it is unavailable??? :(

Last edited:
Welcome nikhsub1, it would be fun to fight you for a battle to #1 on the SETI team :)

And I'll even assist you with the selection of and installation of the best optimized clients so you have a stronger chance. (Anything for the good of the team.)

To be clear on the 'NEED': We have lost several very large SETI crunchers in the past two years. Some to other projects, some to other teams, and a few just went MIA. Thus we have lost our 10th in the world standing (to Team Art Bell) and there are 2 more teams on our tail. As a team we need to make serious effort to remedy this situation. Thus I am adding two quad cores this week. Yes we 'need' some horsepower and you are more than welcome here.

Tuesdays the SETI project is always taken offline for maintnence, usually it comes back online by mid afternoon (pacific). During this period it is not possible to register accounts, connect to the project, return completed work, acquire new work, or view project statistics.

There is not a network install, but the project is mostly a set and forget if you want it to be one.

There is a single core install of the BOINC client, then there is an optional install of the optimized client (different optimized client version for each type of CPU capability (SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, and a different set for Vista)

We get our non-Vista optimized clients from http://lunitics.at (this is called the Chicken app), and our Vista optimized clients from xxxxxxx (need to find link) (this is the Crunch3r app). AMD rigs are not capable of handling the SSE3 and SSSE3 optimizations due to licencing issues, thus you can see 'Intel Only' listed optimizations which cannot be run on AMD rigs.

At one time Chicken made an autoinstaller that tested the PC to determine which optimization was best for the CPU type, but that version is out of date now and the new version does not have an autoinstaller yet.

Hot dayum, the famous nikhsub1 gonna be crunchin SETI with us?! :eek: Now history is definately gonna be made! :thup:

It's not evry day a celebrity joins us bottom feeders ;)

Glad to have ya aboard! I just tagged along myself :D Now if i can get my hands on that optimized client, i can have the main up too.

OK I think I got some work! Man FAH could take a lesson or 2 from this boinc client. The user web interface is slick!

And the stats pages are so much nicer too. You can track each individual machine through Seti's stats, which I just love. Plus, it's a lot less bandwidth-intensive, which is something I needed because I'm on metered bandwidth on sat broadband. And the uploads and downloads with F@H kept getting larger and larger. :(

Just to clue you in on things, your Recent Average Credit (RAC)will gain over 3-4 weeks because unlike F@H, S@H sends out the same data to multiple machines for cross checking purposes and you don't get credit until your results are validated by another machine crunching that wu. And you can set your clients up to cache up to 14 days worth of work, which gets you through the times when the servers are down for maintenance or whatever.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Eaglescouter and the rest of the Seti team here were very helpful to me when I started crunching for E.T. :D

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/home.php
Go there and log in.
There will be a header called preferences. Click "view or edit" beside general preferences. Scroll down to the network preferences header and click "edit preferences" in that section. Change "Computer is connected to the Internet about every " to 8 or 10 days, to keep a large cache of work. Then click the update preferences button. Then go to your BOINC client and find the update button (not sure which client you are using). This will force the client to download the new preferences.

Go easy but where do i do that? REmember, I'm a total nub...

:) No problem, the following will set your account settings to match the ones I use, edit any as you see fit:

Follow that link.
Your account
General Preferences
Scroll to bottom, edit preferences
Yes
no
1 minute
0 minutes
0:00 and 0:00
yes

no
no
blank
blank
0:00 and 0:00
no

Update preferences

Open client, project, select seti, update (this contacts the project and will sync your preferences with the client). All clients on your account will use these preferences. You can set different preferences for work/home and assign machines to work/home if you have the need.

Yes BOINC is nice. I'm pretty sure you could do a network install for the clients but I'm not sure about the project settings...

150 machines! That could find ET in no time :D

One of the great things about seti is once you have your preferences set every machine you download the boinc client onto will automaticaly use these preferences once it connects to get its first work unit. 150 rigs :drool::drool::drool:
And welcome to the team great to have you with us.

That's incredible!!!! Welcome to the team! You said that you wanted to crunch under my profile, that's no problem :D

OK I think I got some work! Man FAH could take a lesson or 2 from this boinc client. The user web interface is slick!

yeah, F@H sure could take a lesson or two from BOINC 'bout user interface and setting things up instead of staying in the ancient CLI command......

you guys better watch out when Nik move his farm to seti!! he'll burn up the rank in no time!! ;)

Let him bring it on then. I'd like to see some sad faces on Team Art Bell when we all of a sudden gain around 50,000 RAC/day in a just a short while. :D It's a shame that when folding I could only sometimes break into the top 10 in production (before they skewed the points system so badly with the new clients and their inflated points values) and here on Seti I am the top producer.

EDIT: :D Bring them on, Nik. :thup: That will surely make a big dent in the teams coming up that are presently outproducing us.

Back