• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So MX4 isnt as good as AS5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've used both, and MX-4 gives me around a 2°C drop.

That said on about 20/30 mounts with each.

I've used both, and MX-4 gives me around a 2°C drop.

That said on about 20/30 mounts with each.

arg i duno what to think. i might as well get mx4, but ive heard its somewhat like spreading peanut butter on your cpu? I like how AS5 is so easy to spread with a bit of cling film on your finger.

How do you spread you mx4? do you have to use more of it to get an even cover?

Since when was spreading with your finger a good idea????

The pea in the middle works for most or lines where HDT heatsinks are concerned.

The pea in the middle works for most or lines where HDT heatsinks are concerned.
+1

the AS5 has a 2c edge in that table

but considering what other people are saying I don't really know what to think
that's different from their own previous testing Iirc.

2c can be explained in a mount.

Last edited:

its how ive always done it. pea sized drop, cover finger in cling film and gently cover the ISH so its wafer thin.

I've tried that and just letting the heatsink/block do the work. Also tried with those crap spatula things ive found that there is little or no difference which way you apply it as long as you get a nice even cover. People seem to be blind to is that "microbubbles" are just as likely to form when you just put a pea sized drop and let the heatsink do the work.

You seem to be implying that i was spreading it with my bare finger which is just stupid

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4

Letting the HS do the work leaves you with just as many bubbles as when you spread it beforehand.

i have never seen more than a 1c difference with trying it the three different ways ;) so just stating that my method is wrong in a thread which has nothing to do with application method is just a bit rude. I know everyone doesn't do it this way but quite frankly i dont care. I have tried them all, and all yielded similar results. One might be more inclined to use the the HS to do the work with thicker pastes like MX4 over AS5 which is very easy to spread and get a super fine layer

Note: i just got a 20g tube of MX4

Easy zander. Misunderstanding.

I used to use the credit card method but found it to be not needed when the HS does a fine job itself. My suggestion is to follow what the MFG of the TIM says.

Easy zander jesus. Misunderstanding. I used to use the credit card method but found it to be not needed when the HS does a fine job itself.

My suggestion if to follow what the MFG of the TIM says.

just a bit annoying when someone comes into a thread says you are doing something wrong and then offers no contribution to topic

I wouldn't have minded so much if he had actually gone ah mate thats probably not the way you should be doing it and MX4 is the better to go with etc etc. But just coming into a thread saying when was that ever a good idea??? then offer no advice on which thermal paste to get is just kind of rude.

didnt mean to get tetchy i just think thats pretty rude, also im hot and bothered at work!!! :p

Last edited:
Peace mate!

Attachments

• bob-marley-smoking-weed-pictures-i3.jpg
    bob-marley-smoking-weed-pictures-i3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 5,065
I still use, and like AS5 :D

I dont use the stupid lines anymore.. now I just put a blob in the center, drop the kit on it and give it a titty twister, then clamp it down, works awsome :thup:

I use AS5 (that's how I use to type a$$ too)

good stuff.
I use the old credit card butter on bread method. :)

I see around 1'C improvement with the AS5 over MX4
(which can be ignored between different mounts.. in a way.)

AS% at more than one place is not as good as newer pastes. Even taking into acount for the break in period.

And that is too much paste. This is how my paste looked after 8 months on a rebuild. And that is just my opinion. And I use the blob method.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

any of the common TIM's are going to be close. Probably going to be better off to focus on getting the best mount from CPU to cooler

@ Xander: No, my point is simply that the difficulty of spreading any given thermal paste is irrelevant if using the pressure of the base plate to spread the thermal paste. Hence results are more easily replicated. I've not tried to insinuate anything. If I meant spread with a bare finger, I'd have said with a bare finger

Chill, only trying to help. Mind you, I guess I see your point. My first line wasn't very well worded and may have come across in a way it wasn't intended to. Sorry about that mate.

@EarthDog: Yeah, I started of with the credit card method and it worked fine before heatspreaders were introduced. Played with the cling wrap method but in the end returned to letting the heat sink do the job. It's applicable with a greater variety of thermal pastes. IC Diamond for example is a nightmare to work with any other way. Same with Artic Silver Ceramique, which I'll continue to use until my tube runs out. I've still some AS5 lying around somewhere too.

@manu2b: Funny pic dude. Love it ;)

@freeagent: Funny as description. I've not heard someone refer the to method as doing a titty twister before. Love it though ;)

Last edited:
Artic Silver Ceramique, I use this a lot. Not sure why I do but ever since I used it to paste a new GPU for my old laptop, I fell in love with it.

^^^I'm guessing you bought one of those massive 22g tubes like I bought. It's not really up there anymore but its still only a few degrees off current pastes. I'll go to MX4 when this runs out. $18 for a 22g tube ;)

Back