• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some help with fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcusarilliuS

Hi,

I have 4 phobya g-silent 180mm fans. The current draw form them is 0.13A each.
At the moment I am running them on a Lamptron fan controller(1 per channel) going out the back of my PC to my radbox on the floor.

the problem is that I like to leave them on the lowest setting on the Lamptron unit but when the pc starts this is not always enough to get them spinning. I have to put them on full power and then knock them back to the low speed.

Seems to be a random issue , sometimes different ones don't start until I bump the volts on that particular one and then it's fine.

So my idea was to run the 4 off a fan header on the motherboard because as far as I'm aware that will cycle all fans to full power itself briefly on start and then dial them back.

So the question I have is on the Asus p8z68 Deluxe gen 3 there are 4 fan headers as well as the cpu fan header(which my mcp35x is plugged into).
The manual says that only cha fan1&2 can be controlled my the asus fan xpert software, so could I use a 2 way splitter cable and run 2 fans of each of the cha fan connectors or would that be bad for the motherboard?

I can't find what the max amp or watt is for the cha & pwr connectors, it says the cpu fan header is 1 amp and 12 watts so I'd imagine the other 4 are the same?

Anyone with the same board have any ideas?

thanks,

Mark.

works.

I have had two fans of 0.3A spinning at full speed without issues at all.
of course, not necessary good for the header's life-span. but it knows how to draw matching Ampage from the PSU, as long as you are not putting a crazy fan on it.

for my board, ASUS R4E though, CHA_1,2,3 are under fan xpert, and OPT_1,2,3 are always running at full speed.

Lots of top boards are good for .5 amps per fan header. 1 amp on each? And finding out from the mobo makers? That's a magic question no mobo maker supplies it seems, wish they would.

Maybe you'll have to do the manual crank up and turn down. Performance cars, PCs and other stuff isn't meant to be auto controlled, you have to touch it. We overclock and touch our PC's. Otherwise we woulda bought a DELL.

Thanks for the replies. 2 of these fans will only draw 0.26A so I think it might be ok to run 2 of each of the cha fan headers then.
Problem is I found out that these fans need 7v to start and the fan controller settings are 12v and 5v only.

Back