• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Trinity A10-5800K numbers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Keep chasing that proverbial carrot... I hope for AMD's sake it improves things by leaps and bounds howeer. :thup:

Never mind for AMD's sake, how much more do you want to pay for your CPU's and how much more innovation are you expecting?

You don't seriously think Intel will keep there products in current price brackets if they have no competition.

Like wise just as AMD would also maximise there profit margin if they had no competition.

I think AMD's future is quite safe, they are taking a very successful direction in APU's, its Intel's longer future that looks more in doubt at this point.

Its just not the direction you and i benefit from.

You are off your rocker Frakk if you think Intel is in worse shape than AMD. I'm not going to discuss it with you here as its a bit off topic, but implore you to look at financial numbers before that statement hits your vocal cords (or fingers in this case) again. That said, both AMD and Intel's future are fine. They will both be around for years to come.

Anyway, we essentially agree. For "AMD's sake" means they will get a free boost for an underperforming part which is GOOD for competition as you mention. :)

Keep chasing that proverbial carrot... I hope for AMD's sake it improves things by leaps and bounds howeer. :thup:

lol I'm not chasing it, I was just hoping that it would be to backup initially claimed 10% performance increase for BD. Dreammmm, dream dream dream

You are off your rocker Frakk if you think Intel is in worse shape than AMD.

There is absolutely nothing in my post that states Intel are in worse shape than AMD.

You need to stop reading into things that aren't there, or get the facts first instead of acting on assumptions :)

What i'm saying is the enthusiasts market will not be here for ever.

Inevitably smaller more portable or integrated systems are the future, what i said was right now AMD is in a better position to service that market. they are already doing exactly that by providing hardware to both Sony And MS for there next gen Game Console.

There is nothing like it in sight from Intel to anywhere near that standard, there may well be at some point in the future, yet there may also not.

Anyway, we essentially agree. For "AMD's sake" means they will get a free boost for an underperforming part which is GOOD for competition as you mention. :)

AMD are loosing money in the enfusiasts CPU market, they could do without it, it is only you and i who need them in this market.

Clearly this infers 'worse shape'...:
I think AMD's future is quite safe, they are taking a very successful direction in APU's, its Intel's longer future that looks more in doubt at this point.
Which future would you like to have? A quite safe one, or more in doubt?

Also, not reading in to anything man. Sorry if I was thrown by the meaning :shrug: :). I do appreciate you elaborating on that point and understand where you are coming from. I'm far from worried about either company in the long run, but definitely more worried about AMD than Intel if you made me choose.

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5835/testing-opencl-accelerated-handbrakex264-with-amds-trinity-apu said:
While video transcoding is significantly slower on Trinity compared to Intel's Sandy Bridge on the traditional x86 path, the OpenCL version of Handbrake narrows the gap considerably. A quad-core Sandy Bridge goes from being 73% faster down to 7% faster than Trinity. Ivy Bridge on the other hand goes from being 2.15x the speed of Trinity to a smaller but still pronounced 29.6% lead. Image quality appeared to be comparable between all OpenCL outputs, although we did get higher bitrate files from the x86 transcode path. The bottom line is that AMD goes from a position of not really competitive, to easily holding its own against similarly priced Intel parts.

Video transcoding is the only thing I really find needs improvement out of my daily tasks. I'll have to give the OpenCL version of Hand brake a try.

Personally I believe AMD is going down the right path. One that will see them become competitive once more. Most of the tasks that AMDs architecture performs poorly on are well suited to running on a GPU. Their time will come. I believe x86 performance will become less important over time

Just tested Hand Brake, a 90 minute video file took 18 minutes to convert, the same file takes 50 minutes in AVS Video Editor.

My CPU doesn't even support OpenCL, it has no IGPU.

To Frakk, you mentioned using window8 for the benchmarks, why not use a Linus OS for the benchmarks? for me I'd be using Piledriver cpu for Linux and my whole new build will be around Linux. Linux is starting to make way in the OS, and to me the AMD Asus Mobo compete (Linux VS Windows specific Mobo's), why would you get a AMD Asus Mobo and not have it for Linux? Is it not true that AMD Asus Mobo are for OS systems other than windows? Would the benchmarks be different with Linux vs Windows?

To Frakk, you mentioned using window8 for the benchmarks, why not use a Linus OS for the benchmarks? for me I'd be using Piledriver cpu for Linux and my whole new build will be around Linux. Linux is starting to make way in the OS, and to me the AMD Asus Mobo compete (Linux VS Windows specific Mobo's), why would you get a AMD Asus Mobo and not have it for Linux? Is it not true that AMD Asus Mobo are for OS systems other than windows? Would the benchmarks be different with Linux vs Windows?

I'm assuming that Linux will have some software available in the near future to utilize the open-cl conversion ability, which would make trinity quite appealing on that platform

I'm assuming that Linux will have some software available in the near future to utilize the open-cl conversion ability, which would make trinity quite appealing on that platform

As with AMD_64 I fully expect linux to take advantage of all the coolness that AMD is throwing down the pipe lately well before windows users are even aware of its existence...

~6 months ago there was word around OpenCL that they were going to have X86_OpenCL extensions to C++ available soon. This bodes very well for AMD.

Aye, GPU compute is the future. x86 is great for general every day type tasks though the rest GPU's can do somewhat better. I expect AMD and nVidia to become stronger over the years. Intel need to catch up on the GPU side quickly or alternately buy out nVidia else I believe they'll eventually be left behind as more and more code is written with OpenCL.

I do have Ubuntu, AMD + Asus + Linux is like hand in Cat Skin Glove.

I'm not at all surprised AMD are working with the Open Source community, or that 'they' seem to be jumping at that chance to work with AMD.

All the good about Open Source software can hardly be over stated , and there is some very good stuff out there challenging every commercial equivalent, often much better.

But for me the sad reality is its Linux based OS where it all starts to come unstuck.

They seem to be in conflict with them selves, on the one side you have those who reminisce over the pre Windows / Apple times, where doing the simplest of tasks requires hours of hand typed commands and codes.

On the other side you have those who want Linux based OS like Ununtu to be a viable replacement to commercial OS like Windows.

The end result is half the time Ubuntu works just like windows, IE install the software and go, no hassle and it just works, but then you want to do this or that and you need 6 different programs, some of them need extensive codding knowledge, others need command line operations and then you have to compile all that together, if your lucky it worked, if not you have just waisted 3 hours of your life and gained a head ache.

For that reason its limited to the amount of people who can use it and do without Windows. IMHO until they fully commit to being a replacement to Windows it never will be.

Ask yourself why so much of Open Sours software is available for Windows when not long ago most of it would only run on Linux.

As for benchmarking my CPU on Linux? well you and i know what the results mean. the trouble is there irrelevant and meaningless to the vast majority as they only know performance on windows with windows apps.

Last edited:
^^^ You've just summarised my gripes with Linux pretty well Frakk. It's not ready for prime time in the mainstream. Once it is I look forward to switching across to it.

I find if I install the same distro of Linux on 3 different computers, I end up with different things not working depending on hardware confiig, while 1 system will inexplicably just work. With Windows you can install it and know it'll just work. Likewise, drivers and software installs for downloaded packages really need to be easie. Something with a simple double click like MSI's and EXE's handle in Windows.

Once Linux has this right, I figure its ready for prime time. Mind you, Windows 8's boot times makes it harder for me to be bothered. It starts faster than Linux ever has.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is another very unfortunate thing that it has a tendency to do, if you want to Uninstall something, sometimes that will literally pull the whole OS apart, literally to the point where the whole thing is as a result completely knackered.

There is so much work to do with it, and right now they don't seem interested in addressing those issues. there reasoning in that is pretty much (well then if you don't do then there won't be a problem)

Yeah, until its addressed, then theyre just not a contender for the average users desktop. Heck, it's not even a contender for my desktop except for my old notebook I use for browsing the net in front of the TV.

They need to pay attention to the little details, however they never do :bang head:

Linux has gotten a lot better than it used to be and it's fine if you don't use the Nvidia Graphics Cards, How much are you really losing without an Nvidia GC's?
Also, if you used a Sony Playstation you are running Linux.

Back