• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sticky Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

There are a few key people that make the AMD support forums a great place for knowledge and help.I am a novice, but love overclocking and building pc's.My knowledge base is not as strong as some people, but I would be happy to contribute. Post after post I see people wanting to overclock, only to find out there parts are not up to par.As R-Gone stated in a previous post, PR gone wild.

Why not get together and make the ultimate sticky that explains the ins and outs to avoid confusion, and give people a sense of limitations.This could be broken down by topic with short overviews.:salute:

Last edited:
Great idea! Maybe you could start one and others could tweak/add to it.

I think we need a sticky that explains the wisdom of buying a killer CPU as the last purchase in a sequence of well-planned upgrades that build a solid foundation for good overclocking. Mostly what we get these days is people who buy an FX-8350 first and want to overclock it to 4.5 ghz on a $70 motherboard and stock cooling with a no name PSU. It gets wearisome.

Wipeout, though it would make sense to have a sticky on what boards to buy if considering X processor and/or what type of cooling would be needed. I find most people just want to come here to have their hands held.

I follow a lot of the posts in the Watercooling section where their has been tremendous amounts of work put into the "Sticky" section on how to get started and what to expect. Most of the time I see to nauseum, the same questions over and over that are all answered in the "sticky" section. Most people just don't want to do the dirty work, to figure it out on their own.

Furthermore, it also seems as if most of the people coming to overclock their AMD cpu, bought the system already. This system has been put together because a lot of people were told before hand that they would be able to overclock their cpu on it. This may be true to an extent. Most of us that have these Fx processors and have rolled up our sleeves to do the dirty work to really clock the you know what out of our chips, have realized a few things. They don't overclock well/ if at all on low-midrange boards with anything less then a stout VRM section. They also produce a ridiculous amount of heat load and require nothing short of high end air to full blown H2O to keep them cool.

Could this all be explained in a "sticky" I believe it could be and agree with you that maybe their should be. I just don't see the majority of people heeding the advice nor even looking at that section.

Wipeout, there are sticky's in place that describe pretty doggone extensively about overclocking any AMD cpu over the last 8 or 9 years. Yet there is post after post after post asking how to overclock. I hear them say it is so confusing.

What is confusing about raising the cpu speed and adding voltage to make it remain stable and keeping the temps within the range of 60c for package temps and 70c for what is the socket temp? When I started overclocking 17 years ago that was the deal and it still is today.

You may have also seen me write that I thought badly about the "motherboard police" and that I went to visit a few other forums that have quite a few posts about "how do I overclock my stuff" and found over the last 7 or 8 months that other forums are calling out the color of the kettle for what it is. Dark charcoal black for most iron kettles. So we are not the only "motherboard police". It has just proven senseless to try and push the high current drawing FX processors on boards with inadequete VRM circuits. I am even seeing some cheap boards that cannot keep a stock FX-8350 going without throttling since the FX-8350 has a default speed of 4.0Ghz. A default speed that we used to overclock an FX-8150 UP to. So power draw at default is up on just a stock FX-8350. Turn on all 8 cores or 6 cores as happens when a user decides to run the processor out of spec and it can be a miserable experience after all the hype that has been read.

I spend a good deal of time working with some users in the AMD motherboard section and there are posts there by mandrake4565 and Johan45 as well that pretty much spell it all out. What boards to get is prominent there.

All these other forums have some of these people as a regular until they get in over their heads. Then they see g00gle hits for OCF and come here. That is too late. They already have the cheap stuff in their possession. Too late really.

I have as have others posted plenty about what works well. You could cut and paste nearly anything that strikes your eye of my posting into a single thread and ask the mods if they would sticky it. "ssjwizard" tried to have a thread in the AMD motherboard section with tips aimed at helping users to get a good board for AMD high current draw cpus. He made one little booble in his wording of one sentence in the opening post and people that NEVER lift a finger to help these AMD users had to have something to say about it. The thread has next to no views and it was a pretty darn good thread.

So my real feeling about another sticky...useless endeavor. People only read what they want to see that agrees with them and their purchase. Not what is a better idea before a purchase. Cheap, cheap gimme cheap. That is the refrain. I think this is just a hard dose of current reality.

Continue your overclocking. Learn all you can. Above all inherit the risks and yet have some fun. I have AMD because they are fun to overclock. They are not the best cpu out there. They are okay and fun to play with, but they have their drawbacks in heat and power consumption. There are tasks that my overclocked FX-8350 can go thru like a knife thru HOT butter and I like it for that. But it is still a HOT running sumbeech. Hehehe.
RGone...

Wipeout, though it would make sense to have a sticky on what boards to buy if considering X processor and/or what type of cooling would be needed. I find most people just want to come here to have their hands held.

I follow a lot of the posts in the Watercooling section where their has been tremendous amounts of work put into the "Sticky" section on how to get started and what to expect. Most of the time I see to nauseum, the same questions over and over that are all answered in the "sticky" section. Most people just don't want to do the dirty work, to figure it out on their own.

Furthermore, it also seems as if most of the people coming to overclock their AMD cpu, bought the system already. This system has been put together because a lot of people were told before hand that they would be able to overclock their cpu on it. This may be true to an extent. Most of us that have these Fx processors and have rolled up our sleeves to do the dirty work to really clock the you know what out of our chips, have realized a few things. They don't overclock well/ if at all on low-midrange boards with anything less then a stout VRM section. They also produce a ridiculous amount of heat load and require nothing short of high end air to full blown H2O to keep them cool.

Could this all be explained in a "sticky" I believe it could be and agree with you that maybe their should be. I just don't see the majority of people heeding the advice nor even looking at that section.

Drake man you beat me to it. Took me too long to write out just about exactly what you wrote. Late again. Hehehe.
RGone...

No send me the one you were going to send to C_D. He won't use it since all the keys are gray. Hehehe. I am wondering where he is? I do thank you for your kind consideration.
RGone...

:grouphug:____________:bang head:bump:

Not much to say, but that really sums it up.I will keep my nose in the forums, and learn from people with experience and knowledge.I want and need knowlegde to make informative choices.The playing field is always changing, but common sence is the best tool.I want to solve my own problems,so I can pass that message.

Last edited:
Back