• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock vs 212+ 3570k temp logs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EpicMango

So today, I will be recieving my warrantied mounting bracket for my Hyper 212+
I've decided that it would be interesting to see how much of a temperature droppage I will get from the stock cooler on AS5 to a Hyper 212+ on AS5. Here is a picture of a 12 hour prime95 stress test on the stock cooler.

Pirate Torrent photo removed.

Once I get my cooler today, I will run Prime95 tests for 12 hours and return with the results. I'm doing this mainly because I'm sure there are people out there who wonder what the real world temps the 212+ has over stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have the results much faster note... About 15-30 minutes of P95 will do for an air cooler. Water 30 or so for temps to reach equilibrium.

Thanks for the testing. :)

I do have a question. Turboboost for the 3570k is suppose to go to 3.8GHz, but I noticed that its only doing 3.6Ghz. What could be the cause for this? I want to get the maximum boost I can get, since I have it available.

Ahh. So 3.6Ghz is for all cores? Is there any way to increase the turboboost clock to a higher value? Is there any way to have the benefits of having the power of a OC'd processor only when you need it? Basically, can I have it set to where it will OC to like 4.4Ghz only when it needs it and then the stock 3.4Ghz/1.6Ghz speeds when its not needed?

Your motherboard should have the option to raise each boost level by core. Then use the offset voltage.

Looks like I might have had a discrepancy with what I thought I needed. The cooler was on a LGA775 processor, and for some reason I thought the bracket it had on it would work. I told them that I needed the mounting bracket for LGA 1155, and I think they got it right, but I don't think I have everything to mount my 212 to my processor. check it out

006-1.jpg
008-1.jpg
009.jpg

All the parts you see in the pictures are all the parts I have for the 212+. Am I missing something for a LGA 1155 install? I think I might be missing the retention bracket...?

And for some reason, they sent me a 140mm fan instead of a 120mm fan.

---Edit---
After watching a couple video's turns out that the fan is for a 212 Evo. I didn't know that the evo was a physically taller cooler...so it does accommodate a 140mm fan.
Still don't know if I need the retention bracket or not..

Last edited:
Since this is kind of a temp log, I thought that this picture would be an interesting addition.
015.jpg
Shows the sheer size difference between a 120mm fan and a 140mm fan. 212 plus, 212 Evo respectively

Another update. It seems as though my 212+ is the older version. When I looked at videos online, I couldn't locate one where there were screws at the base where the contact between the TIM/CPU and heatsink would come together
Older version (What I have)
006-1.jpg
Newer version (What I need)
CMhyper212plus_base.jpg

As you can see, the bracket I got in the mail turns out mounts not at the very bottom at the base (like my current 212+) but mounts at the top of the base.
What I have:
019.jpg

What I need:
CMhyper212plus_d.jpg

Found this out after looking at a couple youtube videos. The newer 212+ even has a different heatpipe pattern, the old having no offset and the new having a offset heatpipe pattern in addition to having an additional heatpipe.
Mine

So it looks like I have a CPU 212+ thats completely useless. And that kind of sucks because I took it out of a computer that I just bought another heatsink for. Hopefully though, I can take advantage of this situation and have them mail me a hyper 212 evo since they sent me the 140mm fan. We shall see. Until then, this thread shall be dormant.

Last edited:
Just did more research, and I never had the 212+ in the first place, I had the Hyper TX3 cooler....hahahah how funny :D

Since I have bigger money priorities than a cooler, I am suspending this log for quite some time, at least until August. Until then NO TEMPS FUHH YUUUU!

Last edited:
3570k with Hyper 212+

hey guys, i don't mean to hijack the thread or interrupt, so sorry if i do, but i finished building my system yesterday, pretty sure the specs will show up in signature =) Anyways, it was my first time installing a heatsink, i had my dad help me (he's a mechanical engineer so as clueless as me when it came to this stuff) and after arguing about how much paste to use, we got the rig running. I ran prime95 for about 8 minutes yesterday with realtemp and got a max of like 62C (hottest core, the rest sat around 58), at idle it sat with the hottest core at 33C with ambient at approximately 22.77 C. Are these the temps to be expected with ivy on Hyper 212+? I saw the OP with similar idle temps but significantly higher load temps, so I'm assuming there is no need to reapply thermal paste, hope that's a correct assumption =) Again, thanks!

PS: sorry I can't help but be verbose:blah:

Your thermal paste is fine and your temps are Great. When you overclock you can go up to 80c, idle temps don't make any difference.

Hey op what mode did you run in prime95? Was it blend, small fft's, or large ffts's? I'm trying to figure out what the normal temps are on a stock 3570k. Also, how hot was the room you ran the test in?

Well, I have bought a CM Hyper 212+ since newegg has them on sale for $15 after MIR, so I could NOT pick one up!

Which means I am reviving this thread! Bought the cooler today, should take 3 days to get here, and I'll commence temp logs as soon as I get the cooler on at stock and OC'd speeds! Can't wait :D

So today, I will be recieving my warrantied mounting bracket for my Hyper 212+
I've decided that it would be interesting to see how much of a temperature droppage I will get from the stock cooler on AS5 to a Hyper 212+ on AS5. Here is a picture of a 12 hour prime95 stress test on the stock cooler.

Pirate Torrent photo removed.

Once I get my cooler today, I will run Prime95 tests for 12 hours and return with the results. I'm doing this mainly because I'm sure there are people out there who wonder what the real world temps the 212+ has over stock.

PM sent. :(

Back