• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupidly Hugh Overclocks!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the one i am least probably to believe is the barton, that IS high... as for stability -- why does this come into the equation? This is about raw speed, not about using it for months.

IMHO running a machine for afew hours on LN2 is more of an achievement than most air overclocks. If it weren't for these guys, pushing it all the time, how would we know what the best hardware is?

~t0m

EDIT: The P4 ghz record is a P4 Prescott engineering sample, Multi x21 @ 5.6-something ghz. Killer =]

~t0m

well yea... hmm :cry: i wanna do that and i dunno why i picked the cry smiley...

apu318 said:
what the hell you gunna do with 5.6 ghz?! launch a nuke?! jeez. still pretty f'in cool though. I cant gey my xp 1800 above 2.04 gigs :(

actually the computers that launch nukes are like 15 years old, probally 386's or somthing...and what would i do with 5.6ghz? i'd run EVERY BENCHMARK I COULD FIND AND LAY ALL PREVIOUS RECORDS TO WASTE, MUAHAHA then i'd sell the chip on e-bay for some stupid amount of money.

Drec said:
actually the computers that launch nukes are like 15 years old, probally 386's or somthing...and what would i do with 5.6ghz? i'd run EVERY BENCHMARK I COULD FIND AND LAY ALL PREVIOUS RECORDS TO WASTE, MUAHAHA then i'd sell the chip on e-bay for some stupid amount of money.

hahaha, yes, agreed.

i wonder how long it would take to boot up windows xp w/ 5.6 ghz. he he he. i tell ya though, it would be pretty nice to have your chip down to zeroish celcius. :-\ too bad itll never happen.

The Palamino overclock.. I actually beat that score.. I reached 2350 stable on a 2100+ and actually I never bothered to overclock any more so I have no clue how far it will go over that. I'm on air also.. I had it runnin on a A7n8x-DLX.

Atari said:
The Palamino overclock.. I actually beat that score.. I reached 2350 stable on a 2100+ and actually I never bothered to overclock any more so I have no clue how far it will go over that. I'm on air also.. I had it runnin on a A7n8x-DLX.
Yeah but you had a TBred not a Palomino! The gold standard for a palomino was probably achieving 2GHz (typical on air unlocked was around 1.85GHz). No way could you get a pally to 2.35Ghz without extreme cooling.

Yup, LN2 overclockers are crazy. It's cool to see how far they push it, but personally I'll stick with 24/7 overclocking (i.e. an overclock that can run 24/7 nice and stable without any problems). I guess you can start getting up towards those speeds on high end phase change though.
Anyways, it probably won't be long until some other crazy overclocker with too much LN2 beats those :eek:

Im just waiting for somone to break the 6.0ghz barrier

oh and the processors that launch nukes are NOT 386's no way

its on goverment supercomputers probably in the 10ghz range back then now its probably somewhere ungodly high

hey its the US goverment they can have anything they want they have enough money to pay for it..lol or the tax payers to

yes the goverment has enough money to buy whatever computers they want to launch nukes but they dont. more than likely they are either old dec alpha or cray machines. in mission critical apps they never run new hardware. NASA still uses 8086 cpus on the space shuttle in a triple redundant flight system. They went so far as to buy up a large amount of surplus computers just for the cpus not even 2 years ago so theyd have spare parts.

Agallion said:

its on goverment supercomputers probably in the 10ghz range back then now its probably somewhere ungodly high

hey its the US goverment they can have anything they want they have enough money to pay for it..lol or the tax payers to

WRONG the computers they use are no diffrent then the ones they used back in the 70's, NASA and other gov't organaztions are constantly scouring ebay and other places for legacy parts to keep their systems operational.

sorry but it takes alot more cpu power to run Far Cry then it does to launch a nuke.

Drec said:
sorry but it takes alot more cpu power to run Far Cry then it does to launch a nuke.

yeah, and farcry can take one or more bad pixels...the nuke, however, not surprisingly, can't take a single miscalculation. NASA and gov' puters are built for security and integrity.

for the P4: somebody reached 1600Mhz fsb (400Mhz*4)

Drec said:
WRONG the computers they use are no diffrent then the ones they used back in the 70's, NASA and other gov't organaztions are constantly scouring ebay and other places for legacy parts to keep their systems operational.

This is true.

All NASA deep space computers go through several months of "radiation hardening" to ensure they will not cut out in space. Most use cpu models that predate 386's but some of the newer projects are beginning to take advantage of newer technology.

The problem with faster computers is a greater power drain and greater risk of miscalculation with increased power + radiation.

Like people have said, there isnt much reason for it. They have been launching nukes since vacum tubes were state of the art. An unstable overlcocked machine at 5.6 would probably be a very poor choice for such an application.

Also, supercomputers rely on massive numbers of cpus. The earth simulator, with over 1,000 cpus would kick a 5.6 p4 to the moon in number crunching performance.

Back