• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on a few upgrades to my currect PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah I think I will do that too. Now I am having trouble with file explorer opening on startup and windows 10 is saying its not activated and now wants a activation key lol. I done the free upgrade so idk...

Did you do the swap after the upgrade? If you've changed board it'll prompt that sometimes. Your old key should work

Did you do the swap after the upgrade? If you've changed board it'll prompt that sometimes. Your old key should work
Yes I have had 10 for a while now, from 8.1. I cant seem to find my product key for 8.1 atm
in system it shows a product id but when I click to activate it and then click trouble shoot it says it cant activate due to a server issue so maybe that's it.

I found my old key and its activated now. Ill soon start seeing what this setup can do with some ocing. Thanks guys.

Guys this is probably the wrong place but my file explorer keeps opening on startup. I went to task manager and start up but couldn't find anything that resembled file or windows explorer in 10. I also went to view and option in file explorer and theres nothing I see there to get it to stop. Any ideas?

Are you having any stability problems? It could be malware, virus running scrips in the background.

All else seems fine, just annoying that this thing keeps opening when I start pc. If I exit then all is back to normal.

I know there's an option somewhere to re-open your last used folders in Windows Explorer. Maybe that's on by default?

Hey guys I kinda looked around on forum and couldn't find any i5 6600k ocing guides. I have the ASUS rog maximus viii ranger mobo also. Are there any good guide here?

You don't really need a guide, just up the multi until windows won't start , back the multiplier down a notch or two add a bit of voltage and then stabilize the system. After that keep going up until you run out of temp headroom.

+1^ also you can try a starting point 4.5Ghz 1.33v then try for going higher on the multiplier, then voltage if you reach a point it won't clock higher fine tune voltage after lowering the overclock.

hey guys some of yall have mentioned upgrading from the gtx 980. From some of the rankings it seems as the gtx 980 2gb is still up there. What would be a better card? I looked at the evga GeForce gtx 1060 6gb ssc, how does this card compare to the amp omega 980 I have?

What about ocing them? would there be a easier or better ocing card of the two and would it be noticeable?

Okay guys bus clock 100 and ratio 45 at 1.34 volts I ran prime 95 for 20 mins at max core temp 76c avg 66c.

Thanks guys I'm really happy with the selections and that was due to your advice! There are some questions I have about ocing my cpu in terms of voltage and such so Ill go to the cpu threads and search and post there. Thanks again.

Back