• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System not booting, appreciate help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I have an old-style 400 Mhz slot based CPU and motherboard that I am trying to get working. Put a video card, sound card, PSU, HDD, CD Rom, and a case all together. Powered it up, only to have no picture on the screen, and the internal speaker giving one REALLY long beep, slience, then it repeats the beep...

um.... ouch...

I need some help with discovering what the problem is, how to fix it, alike alike...

P6BX-At rev 1.2 is stamped to the motherboard, the sound card is a SB Live (was working last time I used it), the video card I cannot easily identify but it is an AGP and it was working when I last used it, and this MB - CPU combo was working when it was pulled and they have been sitting for quite a while.

I am worried that perhaps static got the best of this motherboard, and I would REALLY like to be proven wrong on that point. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I tried pushing down on the memory sticks (there are 3 of them in the system right now) in order to ensure a connection to the motherboard, and nothing changed.

On the CPU, which is a slot based CPU, is printed Pentium III, I am relatively sure it is 400 Mhz... I'm not sure if it would list the speed on the module or not...

As for beep codes check here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=265143
(near bottom of thread)

I would recomend checking that if the board supports 100 and 133MHz FSB that the jumper is set to 100MHz. Try each stick of RAM on its own, in different slots to see if that helps.

Sure you got the right link??

gt24, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Yeah its a link to a public forum. Its the Emergency Section FAQ in the Overclocking and Computer FAQs section.

That forum is 100% blank to me, as in there is nothing in it, at all... I'll solve that issue sooner or later...

I will try out your memory suggestion soon though, smoething came up and I have to take care of that this evening, I'll post messages to this thread sooner or later.

Problem solved, and it was a memory problem. When taking out one of the memory sticks, it came out way too easily on one side. I learned that the large amount of cords that came from the PSU bumped one of the white tabs just enough to bump the stick out.

However, when I reseated it, the computer worked flawlessly. Thanks for all your help!!

On a related note, the FAQ forum I still cannot see, and it isn't an easily solved problem, but alas that is for another thread.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! :) :)

Back