• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAmbershee

Before I totally dismantle my rig and try and pull out the damn temp sensor, maybe someone could shine some light on what could be wrong.

In a nutshell. My Mobo (Nvidia 790i) "System Temp" is floating well over 100C, maxes out at 125 and poof pc shuts down.
This I could understand - Bad heatsink contact or something similar, but my CPU core temp is only around 60-70C and my two GTX260s are running about the same.

So it can't physically be possible for anything to be reaching those temps....

What would it take to short a temp sensor, or something of the kind? The problem has only occurred since I moved into my new house... The processor heatsink came loose during the move, so I reattached with new thermal paste and the problem now only occurs when gaming. (It would crash during startup before new paste)

Many Thanks

With all due respect the 790i were notorious for thermal related issues and have a long and tragic history of what you describe. Your best bet would be to outright replace the board to be honest or find some way to reseat the chipset heat-sink

Alternatively, see if you can reseat the chipset heatsink with new paste, then strap a 40-50mm fan on it with zipties. If your board doesn't have proper VRM heatsinks, look into some Enzotech mosfet heatsinks.

Yeah, nVidia's Intel motherboard chipsets are kind of like a night in August down here in south Louisiana; hot and buggy!:D Definitely remove the nb heatsink and put some new thermal goop on it and the fan idea is also a good one.

Back