• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System voltage not optimized? Does it matter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

When ever I change the CPU Clock to manual instead of auto (auto is 200fsb) it flashes in the bios "warning system voltage not optimized". If I change the fsb now to 201, I get this warning. Is it anything to worry about?

Thanks
N8

Not necessarily but you do want you vcore to be appropriate for the CPU speed you are running at. I assume you have checked to see what vcore you are actually running as well as what is the factory rated operationg rage of the CPU for voltage.

How about a screen shot of CPU-z "CPU" and "Memory" tabs?

The mobo warning is so that you don't fry the board from inappropriate settings. As long as you know what you are doing and use appropriate settings, you can set the BIOS options manually. The default 965 BE stepping 2 vcore is 1.425V. Your vcore is set higher than the default max vcore - presumably for the 3700 OC speed?

Your HT Link speed looks a little high at 2209. Generally, its a good idea to keep HT Link speed at stock (2000) or slightly below for stability. Otherwise your settings and voltages look appropriate.

I think that's just something the BIOS programmers stick in there for the people that have no clue what they're doing when overclocking. You've done plenty of reading so you know you sometimes need more or less voltage then the system is giving you and can "optimize" your own settings. :)

The default 965 BE stepping 2 vcore is 1.425V.
Do you have a program that reads the actual CPU registers to get these "default voltage" numbers you've been posting or is it all based on the wild assumption that the maximum safe operating voltage, as published by AMD, is the same as the "default" voltage ...???

Last edited:
I also have cpuz pc wizard 2010 that shows the voltage and temps. Im not sure quite what you mean? I have the 140watt cpu and looked on for safe voltages.

What program would you recommend.

I also have cpuz pc wizard 2010 that shows the voltage and temps. Im not sure quite what you mean? I have the 140watt cpu and looked on for safe voltages.

What program would you recommend.
If you're talking about reading the registers off the CPU I don't know of any program that does that (at least, none that are free and available to most people), which is why I asked. I am of the opinion that the max safe vCore published by AMD is NOT the "default" voltage on the newer CPUs so I was just requesting a link/reference to back up that statement (a statement that is repeated several times a week in various threads).

For OC'ers it really doesn't matter what the "default" vCore is anyway. Once you start OC'ing anything "default" like that is out the window ... :cool:

I did some research online and I believe the max operating temp is 62c and from what I have been seeing is that 1.5v is safe voltage for the 140w. My temps are not near 62c @ 100% load. Around 52-55c load I have.

I can't get 3.8ghz stable its really frustrating.

I think that's just something the BIOS programmers stick in there for the people that have no clue what they're doing when overclocking. You've done plenty of reading so you know you sometimes need more or less voltage then the system is giving you and can "optimize" your own settings. :)

Do you have a program that reads the actual CPU registers to get these "default voltage" numbers you've been posting or is it all based on the wild assumption that the maximum safe operating voltage, as published by AMD, is the same as the "default" voltage ...???

The default voltage is the P-0 state voltage the CPU is programmed to run at when at the maximum frequency. The Boot VID is programmed into each CPU. The CPU voltage changes to the P-0 state voltage once the system is past PWRON assertion. The CPU voltage can be adjusted within whatever range the system specifies based on the various P-states allowed by the CPU - per the AMD thermal and electrical tech docs.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/43375.pdf

The default voltage is the P-0 state voltage the CPU is programmed to run at when at the maximum frequency. The Boot VID is programmed into each CPU. The CPU voltage changes to the P-0 state voltage once the system is past PWRON assertion. The CPU voltage can be adjusted within whatever range the system specifies based on the various P-states allowed by the CPU - per the AMD thermal and electrical tech docs.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/43375.pdf
Yeah, I've looked at #43375 once or twice but that really doesn't answer my question now, does it? Here it is again:
Do you have a program that reads the actual CPU registers to get these "default voltage" numbers you've been posting or is it all based on the wild assumption that the maximum safe operating voltage, as published by AMD, is the same as the "default" voltage?

Edited
I have been over every letter on the 940BE page of #43375 (pg.47) and I just can't seem to find a "deault voltage" value anywhere. :bang head
All I see are a bunch of voltage ranges. :shrug:

Where, exactly, can I find the default voltage for my 940BE??? :confused:
No, no, no - don't telll me what it is. You see, I'm from Missouri - the Show Me state - so I'm naturally sceptical ... ;)

Last edited:
I dont know then. In my bios it says normal cpu vcore 1.425 and its currently set at 1.475.

1 core keeps failing, I can't get it stable

my load temps are

hd 90f
cpu 120f
mb 125f
psu 119p
processor 97f

here is my new setup. I changed the fsb and was able to oc the ram from 1600mhz to 1744. Still fails prime blend after 3h 45min

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

whops I posted 2 screens the same lol

Back