• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sythe gentle typhoons as case fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baobeiiii

Registered
hey,

I have several spare sythe gentle typhoons laying around and for a new rig want to install 3 case fans, 2 at the front and 1 for exhaust.

They are the 1850rpm version, but I have a fan controller.

Are they adequate as a case fan? I know they are generally attached to radiators. Basically if i turn them down to 1000rpm, will they still have a decent cfm of airflow for case fan use?

Well they are completely silent at 1000rpm, but not sure how much cfm they have at that setting. It's a silent oriented build. Some other fans i've tried, have a kind of high frequency 'tat' noise when you reduce their speed. Hard to explain the sound, but the typhoons don't suffer from that.

Nope. At about 1000Rpms you're getting about 40cfms. I have the slip streams and all I hear is the gentle "woosh" of air :)

so 40fpm is 'enough'? The front 2 fans have alot of restriction, a very thick dust filter and just small slits at the side for air intake. Putting my hand against the exhaust at 1000rpm, i barely feel any wind.

Yeah that's going to be a problem. Doesn't matter how much CFM's you're getting if the filters/grills are restrictive, you're not getting airflow. You're going to have eliminate the filters or open up the grills to allow the airflow.

The way it is now you're choking the airflow up.

Well it's a silence oriented case, specifically the coolermaster silencio 650. If i open it up it won't be as quiet :)

The thing is, this is a work rig and will mainly be used for office. With the fans at 1000rpm i've done prime 95 with i5 3570k at 4.3GHz and it won't break past 80c with ambient temps of 20c. Idle at 30c according to hwmonitor but the temp sensores aren't really that accurate at low temps from what i've read. Inside the case it is 18c at idle according to my fan controllers temp sensores. I'm satisfied with that i think.

I thought the typhoons were good with restrictions because of the high static pressure.

Yes the Typhoons are good with restrictions, but from you posted there seems to be too much restrictions and it's doing more harm than good. On rads the restrictions are far less at about 1/16 opening per fin or there abouts. If your case fan openings are less than that, then your fans are struggling to pull the air into the case.

Again if you have too much restrictions, then it doesn't matter what type of fans you have if the airflow is being blocked.

Try this test for yourself:

Get a normal drinking straw and suck the air into your mouth. Then use a finger to start blocking the hole in the staw while you're sucking air. Close the opening as much as you can until you're struggling to suck air.

This is what's happening to your case fans. Same principle.

Room temps infront of rig: 15.5c, inside (infront of cpu cooler) 21c. I guess that's proof that the hot air from the cpu cooler is being wicked away fast enough. That's while running prime 95.

However I am looking at some NF-S12B-FLX, might be a waste of money though ;)

Keep the GT's man...You can make them spin a tad faster to overcome the restrictions in your case. You won't be able to hear them if you speed them up a bit, they do have a noticeable whine (not too terrible afaik) at certain rpm's but it's because of the way the pwm circuit works, resonating at certain frequencies. Give it a try before you waste money on bad fans.
The only fan that will outperform your GT's in efficiency is the Noctua NF-F12 pwm, which costs 21usd at sidewindercomputers.com with free shipping.

If you have filters you want a fan with good static pressure. GT's have that.

I have 3 GT's in my case running 750-800 rpm: two AP-14's at 5v and one AP-12 at 12v (the other fans are 140mm). Wherever I need 120mm fans I use GT's.

I don't understand the OP. GT AP15's have great pressure and CFM and sound better than many fans. Why not use them in a case situation? They are an awsome fan hands down. I use one in my Media rig. Any need for a 120mm fan, it's the AP-15 with a fan controller for general use, WC use, Spaceship use.

Scythes are really overpriced and are focused on pressure which is better for rads or CPU coolers. It's worth it if you're using them in those applications but not as case fans.

Either way its not my money...

NF-S12B fans are for cases, not heatsinks or rads. Low static pressure. I included them in a comparative study here, but the comparison was done on a Megahalems, which is not what an S12B is for.

When you say "Scythes are really overpriced and are focused on pressure which is better for rads or CPU coolers," I think you mean GT's. Scythe sells many fans. Their Slip Stream fans, for example, are known for their CFM's, not their static pressure.

Yeah oops I meant Gentyle Typhoons, Slip Streams are overpriced too though, lol, Yate Loons are the best fan brand.

Yeah oops I meant Gentyle Typhoons, Slip Streams are overpriced too though, lol, Yate Loons are the best fan brand.

We must disagree, then. I have both and far prefer the Slip Streams. They are worth the extra money, IMO.

Back