• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tales from the Crypt WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What I find comical is people tend to blame their thermal paste for their tempatures rising. These days as CPU's get hotter and faster, the progression to micro finned heatsinks and dust contributes to the temps rising and many people are under the impression that by re-applying their thermal paste, all will be well.

If they just blew some compressed air into their heatsinks once a month or even every few months the temps would not increase.

I have cats and I smoke in my office, but I have a Ionic Breeze and a large Hepa/Ionizer to help keep things in order. That and I blow out the system with compressed air every now and then and vacuum the intake of my radiator every time I vacuum my office.

Silversinksam said:
I have cats and I smoke in my office, but I have a Ionic Breeze and a large Hepa/Ionizer to help keep things in order.

How well does that Ionic Breeze work, BTW? I see it on TV and it costs something like $300 o_O

Valk said:
man i could care less about the computer, that yellow crap is just nasty......Whoever has to clean that crap better get paid an arm and a leg, and smack the lady several times.

I'm rather new at doing the PC stuff for people (15 1/2 yrs old ;) ) and the dust sometimes is just crazy. The newest one I just got was an 800MHZ PIII that is giving errors from the heat. This thing was running passivly with a heatsink smaller than most stock videocards, and a fan on top of it with dust covered in the fins, and NO case fan. The heatsink was well over 150F when I pulled it open to see WT was wrong and win ME was crashing constantly. I grabbed all the dust and gave it to the guy. Its not gonna be re-build with a case + fan and a duron with a heatsink with big fins and a decent fan. That crap is nasty. I clean mine out every week, and my SLK is covered, with linty-dust( The clean stuff) and My grandma's PC is cleaned out once a year and not a SPEC of dust. ever.

that was insane... looks like my girlfriend's old computer... until i taught her that dust is the enemy! =D

:eek: Eww...I think that has something to do with my friends case...it's really dirty like that too and it is always freezing.

It's really bad photo, almost made me cry.

I remember, when my friend told me that water cooling is unsafe. My bro has one rig with no fans in comp, to clean it up, he just puts radiator into water an takes it out to dry. And that guy seemed to forget about computer cleaning, thx to dust, one day fan completely stopped, CPU was damaged :/

Air cooling isn't safer than water.

What are you guys talking about? I only see a giant furball in the pic? What heatsink???
:D

Did you lick it?

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at her computer. She said the computer was unusually "quiet" and would reboot itself on occasion. I surmised correctly that the fan on her power supply was faulty. She was a chain smoker and apparently smoked a lot while working on the computer; not only was the power supply fan gummed up with revolting tar and nicotine, but the CPU's cooling fan was clogged beyond use, and the cdrom drive drawer would not open. This is the only computer I have ever worked on that died from smoking.

julianba said:
A friend of mine asked me to take a look at her computer. She said the computer was unusually "quiet" and would reboot itself on occasion. I surmised correctly that the fan on her power supply was faulty. She was a chain smoker and apparently smoked a lot while working on the computer; not only was the power supply fan gummed up with revolting tar and nicotine, but the CPU's cooling fan was clogged beyond use, and the cdrom drive drawer would not open. This is the only computer I have ever worked on that died from smoking.

SEE, DONT SMOKE KIDS! (I had to say that)

On a serious note, that stuff is disgusting. I cannot believe people don't realize that their computer magically keeps dust off of itself and that it cleans itself.Ignorance is funny to laugh at.

man that is one of the reasons that i went with a case and a window to watch the dust build up and then know when to clean it... yuck

someone brought a comp for me to look at (just remembered this) cause it all of the sudden got quiet but would still and the top of the case would get incredibly hot... come to find out the psu fan stopped well the cause was that a garder snake got stuck in the fan... that was gross...

Daewood said:
someone brought a comp for me to look at (just remembered this) cause it all of the sudden got quiet but would still and the top of the case would get incredibly hot... come to find out the psu fan stopped well the cause was that a garder snake got stuck in the fan... that was gross...

So it was rotting or still alive? That's pretty disgusting.

The worst I've found was a ****load of dust in my old comps b4 I knew how to change stuff, etc. in comps....

Back