• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TbredXP 1700 & Abit NF7 rev2.0 boards = Not Very Friendly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hitechjb1 said:
I recall seeing something in the past that bios 10 is not reliable when saving bios, since it is not using fail safe mode (something like that). So in case system crashes during saving, one might lose the bios chip, or need a replacement. I recall one has to go to some higher bios for fail safe.

Please confirm.
Yes, that is correct. The earlier BIOSes are not very safe. The BIOS corruption which is common. The latest ones i.e. BIOS14 or higher(if I remember it correctly) have bios fail safe feature which helps to prevent from happening. Yes, I like the BIOS14. I wanted it to be a keeper.

Update: 1 FSB improvement with the 400mhzFSB sense mod with my current BIOS10. I can boot at 230FSB DC now, but fails in the windows loadup. Have already tried vdd mods but no help. I'm going after the 166mhzFSB sense mod now. be back.

As far as I know, the BIOS corruption issue with nForce2 boards hasn't really been fixed. Even with the highest BIOS, if you turn off the power durring a BIOS save, you'll corrupt the CMOS BIOS. You'll have to swap out the CMOS with a preprogramed back up to post and then hot swap the corrupted one back in to reflash.

The workaround is a red warning screen to not power down while the BIOS is being saved.

Audioaficionado said:
As far as I know, the BIOS corruption issue with nForce2 boards hasn't really been fixed. Even with the highest BIOS, if you turn off the power durring a BIOS save, you'll corrupt the CMOS BIOS.

That is exactly what you don't want to do. You should never turn off during the BIOS save mode. That is if the user is deliberately wanting to destroy the BIOS. I would not count that as self termination BIOS corruption.

Good news:

The L12 mod 166mhzFSB sense mod works. :)

230mhz FSB DC + CPU Interface = No issue. Running fine. No vdd mod or any kind. Memory timing 5-2-2-2.0

ignore the clockspeed. i'm not after the clock, testing FSB purpose only.
xp1700-BIOS10-L12_166fsb_sense_mod.png

Last edited:
hitechjb1, the L12 200mhzFSB sense mod = Bad Bad .. for my xp1700 chip. If you remember, my previous attempt of L12 200mhzFSB sense mod on the BIOS14 didn't work either, only improving 1~ 2 FSB. I see the same pattern with this. As soon as I changed to 166mhzFSB sense mod, it's working :) I'm still at BIOS10 right now.

I will need some time to test it further and little further FSB overclocking. I will have to run some stability tests later on.

hitechjb1, have you tried other BIOSes i.e. 13, 14, or others yet? Which BIOS version was it did you have trouble FSB overclocking with?

Last edited:
[OC]This said:

That is exactly what you don't want to do. You should never turn off during the BIOS save mode. That is if the user is deliberately wanting to destroy the BIOS. I would not count that as self termination BIOS corruption. [/B]

Of course not but more than a few people here have managed to push incorredt buttons, paniced or pulled power plugs while saving BIOS.

I actually push in my keyboard just in case one of my cats decides to jump on it while I'm saving it.

I have a 2nd backup CMOS if the AC power get interrupted or I royally screw up.

BTW I detected some instability in my FAH client so I increased vcore to 1.7v and RAM to 2.7v from default 2.6v. SSE boost is working again.

When it gets hot again, I'll have to back it down to a lower multiplier and vcore.

[OC]This said:
hitechjb1, the L12 200mhzFSB sense mod = Bad Bad .. for my xp1700 chip. If you remember, my previous attempt of L12 200mhzFSB sense mod on the BIOS14 didn't work either, only improving 1~ 2 FSB. I see the same pattern with this. As soon as I changed to 166mhzFSB sense mod, it's working :) Good news..

I will need some time to test it further and little further FSB overclocking. I will have to run some stability tests later on.

hitechjb1, have you tried other BIOSes i.e. 13, 14, or others yet? Which BIOS version was it did you have trouble FSB overclocking with?

I am using the FSB_sense 166 mod with the bios 10. With the bios 17, there was not much difference between 166 and 200 mod, but they were capped at around 223.

With bios 10 and FSB_sense 166 (have not tried the 200 mod), I can get FSB to 230 (prime95 stable). 238 3DMark01/03, 245 boot into windows and Sandra memory bandwidth (very unstable). Cannot test 230+ in details due to CPU stock HSF at 65+ C, until I get better cooling soon.

Bios 10 gives highest stable FSB. Bios 16 and 17 gave me lots of trouble for high FSB above 220, very unpredictable when changing setting for faster or slower. Haven't tried bios 11, 12, 13, 14.

At least for now, I know how to get to high FSB for this NF7-S rev 2.0 with 1700+ to 230-240. I don't want to push it too much with bios 10 (lack of fail safe) at high FSB until I get a good CPU cooling for final setup in a few days, and possibly a bios saver also. For now, I have to swap another board back for other usage.

Thanks again for the hints on bios 10, and it works.

PS:
Tests have been done w/ CPU Interface enable, memory is DC 512MB HyperX + noname 512MB, 6-3-3-2 or 7-3-3-3 (above 235)

Last edited:
i'll have to work on NB cooling as well.

no problem.. Thank you for the info on the BIOS16 & 17. :)

I had to drop back to 215 fsb but upped the multi to 10.5 for 2260 core speed due to instability with FAH.

I think it's time to try an OS install with APIC disabled. I'll be watching this thread for more extreme NF7-S OC tips.

[OC]This said:

I don't think I've said anything bad in my previous reply. I don't understand why you take it so badly. Holding grudges and spitting out like that in my thread is not a nice thing either. Thanks a lot for ruining my thread.

back to the subject, post some of your benches. Report your clockspeed/ FSB configuration and run some tests. Run superPi, piFast for now. I'll post mine as well. I wait for your reply.

Heh I have read like 3 of your posts so far and I agree you come off VERY arrogant indeed. Perhaps you should read more carefuly before you slam someone...

[OC]This said:

you do have a bad attitude. That is not good for the forum though.

Personally I think most all of the posts that James makes adds value to these forums. You on the other hand I know now why I stopped reading this thread the first time I saw and and I am wondering why I am still reading it now. How is a person asking you to stop talking down to him having a bad attitude?

Deathknight said:

Heh I have read like 3 of your posts so far and I agree you come off VERY arrogant indeed. Perhaps you should read more carefuly before you slam someone...

Read this:
Originally posted by james.miller
excuse me mister arrogant. read my sig:

2x256mb twinmos pc3200. DUAL CHANNEL.

damn it. if i wernt such a nice person, i'd call you an idiot you're attitude towards people really irritates me.
This was his first response to my reply. :rolleyes:

This is just one of his posts that got so defensive and started flaming me and putting down on other benchers.

You haven't realized how many posts he has deleted his own posts. Of course it would look good for him and make it look bad on me don't you think? Pay attention when you read. It's not good now, because he deleted most of his flaming posts, making me look worse. How clever.

Deathknight said:

Personally I think most all of the posts that James makes adds value to these forums. You on the other hand I know now why I stopped reading this thread the first time I saw and and I am wondering why I am still reading it now. How is a person asking you to stop talking down to him having a bad attitude?
talking down? He is the one was talking down on me. He is the one was putting me, stumping me down, as if I don't know jack sh.it. :mad: Maybe you don't know anything about me. Be more careful before you post.

If you have nothing better to say for the topic related discussion, get the hell out of my thread. Damn troll is not welcome here.

If you wish to flame war, go somewhere else. There are many sex and curse bashing trolling chat rooms out there. Your content fits well there, not here. I suggest you get the hell out of my thread. You don't need to ruin someone else's thread. Do what's right for you. This is a good advice. ;)

[OC]This said:

Read this:

This was his first response to my reply. :rolleyes:

This is just one of his posts that got so defensive and started flaming me and putting down on other benchers.

You haven't realized how many posts he has deleted his own posts. Of course it would look good for him and make it look bad on me don't you think? Pay attention when you read. It's not good now, because he deleted most of his flaming posts, making me look worse. How clever.
oh and you wonder why i said that? do you want me to pull up MY thread that was shut down because of your idiotic posting?

as you VERY WELL KNOW, i only deleted the posts with pictures - all my "flames" are still here for everybody to read so dont you try and pull any of that crap.

what was it i said?
right. I've deleted all my posts with pics, so you can stop this" oh, but but but" right now. You have no excuse to get confused. I will re do all tests, at the optimised settings, and post the results all in one post. Then you'll see just how much fluctuation there ISN'T

And i was going to do just that. The tests are done infact. But, to be honest, YOU arnt worth my time, and it doesnt seem like im the only one, either.

Damn, you rock-em sock-em robots! Can't we all get along? -Homer Simpson

[OC]This: Out of curiosity, have you tried your memory in single channel? It won't be as good for optimal performance, but perhaps it can show us something. There does seem to be a "bandwidth cap" for either single or dual channel on the NF7.

james.miller said:
oh and you wonder why i said that? do you want me to pull up MY thread that was shut down because of your idiotic posting?

That's because you've got so defensive when other people were giving you advice and you rub em in. You went out of control and start flaming. So, of course mods had to shut it down to calm you down. ;)

as you VERY WELL KNOW, i only deleted the posts with pictures - all my "flames" are still here for everybody to read so dont you try and pull any of that crap.
no you did not. ;)

There are plenty of flame trolling posts you have deleted. How coward. :rolleyes: Shame on you.

what was it i said?
that's even worse. You can't even remember what you have said. Maybe you forgot what you have said because you were too busy bashing my thread? ;)

And i was going to do just that. The tests are done infact. But, to be honest, YOU arnt worth my time, and it doesnt seem like im the only one, either.
no, actually you are not worth my time. You have been bashing/ hijacking/ being so defensive/ and putting down other member. Would you like me to quote what you have said to me in this thread?

Back