• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me what to buy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

Instead of doing months of research, maybe you guys could just tell me what to buy, i trust you ;). I want water cooling. My system is in my sig. I'm willing to spend about $130, somewhere around there. I'm flexible. I just want the best bang for my buck like everyone else. I think that's enough info to go on, but i can give more if you want. Give me some links to the best/cheapest water cooling products, and i'll do a little research, then buy em. I'm tired of killing myself with doing months of research, i'm too lazy =p

buy a kit :p,

:D no seriously though,
130 is a little on the cheap end if you want a GOOD WC setup, you could easily do that with your WB pump and HC, then you would need tubing, fittings, any mod supplies, etc etc, i would not do water unless you want to buy a kit (which i dont recommend) or you have at least 200bucks to blow on everything. only things i could tell you cheap though are

pump: mag 3 i think around 40bucks from marinedepot.com
HC: 86' Chevette HC from Autozone (where i work:D) around 20-25bucks depending on location.
water block: if you want cheep then i would look around in the classifieds.

edit: one good place for wb's www.dangerden.com

that's i can really say right now, hope it helps.

For $130. go to the classifieds on this forum and the for sale/trade forums at Anandtech and Hardforum.

I would say get the DangerDen RBX, a Ehiem 1250 and a 1986 Chevette heatercore, This will be alittle over 130 but getting an Eheim means your getting the best. Also guys he doesn't have enoguh post yet to get in the Classifieds.

That's true about his post count- good eye. But he can go to Hardforum and Anandtech.
Your suggestions sound good. I would get a cheaper pump or a used one though and then he could afford the tubing and fittings.
I got an eheim 1250 for $30. at Hardforum.

Cool. Thanks for the quick replies. Now at least i have an idea of what to get.

Did i mention i am a total idiot when it comes to watercooling? You probably figured that out. So the Danger Den RBX and Ehiem 1250 look pretty good...what other stuff would i need in addition to those? I'm not too strict on the $130, i could maybe go...$180, but i'd rather it stay cheap. I wouldnt mind buying used stuff if it could save me some dough. I'll look around at Anadtech.

Also, i was wondering...say i get my watercooling rig all setup on my system here, then a year or two down the road i upgrade, would it be easy or even possible to convert the watercooling kit to the new rig? Yeah, i'm an idiot.

IF you go with the Eheim 1250 and the RBX and heater core, you'll need tubing I'd say get Clearflex60 and hose clamps. After that you have to think if you want to use a Res or a T-line. Also for the heatercore you'll need a shroud and a good 120mm fan. As for upgrading the kit to a new rig kinda hard to say right now. Depends on the boards lay out you have have to get a different waterblock.

go with the best setup..even if the price is high...I first bought my first setup for $90 but ended up spending extra $100 to upgrade it.

Well, i don't know what res or T-line is, so you can choose =p.

I'm probably not smart enough to buy all this stuff seperately, maybe buying a full kit would be best.

I've been looking and found that there are cases with water cooling already installed, i'd be willing to buy one of these since i could use a new case as well. If someone could point me in the direction of a good water cooled case i'd appreciate it.

For utmost CPU cooling performance, buy a Chia Pet and epoxy it to your CPU using a good thermal epoxy. Mist it lightly with water and it will continue to grow daily, thus gaining surface area and continually lowering your temperatures.

Adaman said:
...I'm probably not smart enough to buy all this stuff seperately, maybe buying a full kit would be best.

Ok, I'll be serious now. I don't believe the above statement. If you can keep drool from collecting on your chin, you're intelligent enough to select the components for watercooling. Really, quit being lazy and do a little research. Trust me, there will be some unexpected issue arise, and if you know nothing about watercooling, you'll be whining back to us in a few days complaining, "My WC system leaked and killed XXX... what do I do?"

Start with this thread, and when you're done reading it and the associated linked articles/threads, you'll know as much about watercooling as everyone else.

hrmm, well, i guess with the case added i'm willing to go about $240 at the very most. Would prefer a case with a window on the side, but whatever.

Alright, i'll do some research, i guess i can't avoid it. It just always seems like when i do a lot of research, i always end up getting screwed anyways.

Alright, i'll do some research, i guess i can't avoid it. It just always seems like when i do a lot of research, i always end up getting screwed anyways.

we make it easy to get screwe'd asdlkfj.. i mean do research here :D

Adaman said:
hrmm, well, i guess with the case added i'm willing to go about $240 at the very most. Would prefer a case with a window on the side, but whatever.

i wouldn't say screwed..
its kind of hard to get screwed with water cooling now-a-days IMO.
as long as you go buy something.. anything from well known watercooling manufac. like dangerden, d-tek, swiftech, ect. you'll be fine. sure some blocks are better then others, but its such a small difference.
the only way u can get screwed is by buying watercooling kits like iceberg, evercool, and senfu like the ones u tend to see on ebay, small online computer retailers, and compusa (EVIL!!).
only think i would really encourage is getting a good pump and hose clamps because if the pump dies, well.. then you're screwed, lol

RBX: $53
Hydor L20: $35
Chevette 86' Heatercore: $22
Clearflex60 - 10ft: $12 (20% off)
Hoseclamps - 15: $11.25
T-line: $1.75

Total: $135 + Shipping.

You can also some some cash in:
A. Metal hoseclamps from Homedepot.
B. A worse hose, can also be found in Homedepot.

Suma.

And a shroud for your core

CoolShroud.gif

$10.99 at BeCooling

I recommend a D-tek TC-4 from the clearance section for $25. It comes unlapped and with no mounting hardware. Mine performs almost identically to the WW I tried from them. The fit and finish seems to be good on the TC-4 as well. You will just have to lap it yourself and buy the mounting harware, unless you already have it.

Back