• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp - Intel i7-3770k Paired with ASUS Z77 Sabertooth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akizzle

Hello All,

New to the forum and a beginner at overclocking.

After many profiles I achieved a stable build at 4.5GHz I've passed an IntelBurnTest successfully with no issues. Only issue I have right now is my temperature. I purchased an Antec Kuhler 1250 LCS and so far so good.

I'm idling in the mid-30's and on full load anywhere from 70-80 degree's Celcius. Anyway to get my temp down a bit?

I've taken screen shots of my BIOS and posted them below. Any help and I would greatly appreciate it.

Build:
CPU i7-3770k
Mobo ASUS Z77 Sabertooth
Cooler Antec Kuhler 1250 LCS
RAM Mushkin Redline Enhanced 32GB 1866
GPU NVIDIA GTX 780
PSU ENERMAX 750W
CASEFANS 3x120MM GELID PWM (2 in front acting as an intake and one in the back as an exhaust.)

131105175245.BMP

131105175309.BMP

131105175353.BMP

131105175542.BMP

temp.JPG

2013-11-02%2017.13.33.jpg

Assuming your CPU is not delid-ed, temps are pretty good for IBT.

You can certainly drop the vCore a bit though, as I guess with LLC on extreme, your vCore might spike around 1.33/1.34v.

10 passes IBT standard are not enough to test stability.

Run Aida64 stress test or prime95 blend for a couple of hours at least (6 hours+ is advised).

Definitely not delid-ed, I don't know if it matters but I passed IBT on Very High.

How much should I drop my vcore? Anything else I should adjust?

Check your vCore on load.

1.25v is usually enough to hit 4.5GHz.

Some chips might need more though. Luck of the draw!

Edit:yes, very high is tougher on the memory, and takes much longer than standard.

You can bump that Ram frequency up as well. Those sticks should easily do DDR3-2000 or 1000mhz effective.

1.3v looks good at 4.5ghz.

If your chip is a Malaysia made cpu, it will likely take less voltage, so manu2b is correct if you have the right chip. Mine on the other hand takes just a tab more at 4.5ghz to be stable and was made in Costa Rica. Big jump to 4.7ghz at 1.38v.

Gotta play around and test your temps. Takes a little time but 4.7ghz-4.8ghz should be NP. Just as long as you can keep 80c or less, you should be good to roll.

Perfect! Thanks for the insight guys! I dropped it down to 1.25 and am running prime95. Crossing my fingers that it lasts till midnight tonight.

Also how would I know where my chip is made? Probably have to remove my heatsink right?

I haven't got to messing with my RAM just yet. If i bump the freq would I have to increase the voltage?

Thanks for all your help it's really appreciated!!!

So after increasing the voltage bit by bit i went from 1.25 to 1.27 and passed an IBT on VeryHigh. What I don't get is that CPUID says my voltage is at 1.296 is that because my LLC is set to Extreme?

Would you consider this a Stable Build or do I need to run Prime95 for 6+ hours?

SS Below, Thanks a bunch!

ssoc127.JPG

Yea the LLC is a little high. You want it to slightly bump v-core and really you only need to use LLC if you see a v-droop on load. That means you set 1.25 and it drops below that when you stress full load..

I also noticed your temps are considerably high in my opinion.
Advising here to have a look at the air flow on the rads. in order to push through that rad, then the top of the case may be hurting your cooling results.

Try adding fans on top to help suck air through. Ramp up the fan speeds all the way on OC and full loads. Change the stock cooler fans to something that pushes a lot more cfm perhaps. Point is the more heat you remove from Delta the better.

^This, but temps don't look to high for a 3770k. ANd IBT heats the CPU a tad more than Prime or Aida.

Mine, before delidding, was in the high 80's/low 90'[email protected]/1.3v, with 25°c ambient.

After delidding, it [email protected]/1.36v/high 70's, still with 25°C ambient.

So, the gain is quite high.

But as ShrimBrime stated, by changing the stock fans, you could lose a few degrees that would allow for an extra 100MHz with a little bit extra vCore.

To answer your quetsion about stability, I'd say it is, but I'd run a 6 hours Prime Blend, to make sure!

So after 6 hours of running it at 1.28v i received no errors. Temps maxed out at 82-80 SS is below. You think those temps are in good range?

ssoc128.JPG

Thanks all!!!

for 1.31v, they look fine to me.

Lowering the vCore a tad more maybe? Or aiming at 4.6GHz? ;)

Haha 4.5GHz was my goal in the end but lowering the vcore by the slightest amount will cause IBT to fail on very high. I went from 1.25 and slowly increased the vcore and ran IBT on very high. Once IBT passed on 1.28 I ran Prime95 and BAM we're good to go.

Now it's time to play some BF4!!!

Back