• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Temperature sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erik89

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a temperature sensor for measuring the intake airtemp inside my case. My question is:

What kind of sensor do I need? I preferably want one I can connect in my mobo that will show automatically in Corsair Link or PC wizard, but can this be done?

Most motherboards these days already have sensors to measure cabinet ambient air temperature which can be used to determine/guess the intake air temperature.

Erik, you can get fan controllers with temperature sensors that you can place anywhere inside your case. That us the route I would go.

You cannot move the motherboard sensor so that won't be accurate... And your motherboard doesn't have a problem either...

I recently bought a fan controller (without sensor option) :/

There are multiple readings from existing sensors in the case, but I dont know where they are and cant seem to find a description online either, however I did find a reading that roughly matches ambient temperature, so I guess I'll stick with that for now.

It not critical that I have this sensor, its just so I can tell the effectiveness of the cpu and gpu radiators :)

So motherboards don't have connectors where you can plug sensors?

I wouldn't put too much stock in that value... you have no idea where the sensor even is! The sensor is somewhere on the motherboard though, which will not give a great idea of ambient temps being inside the case and all. If you want ambient/intake temp, you need to place the sensor in front of an intake fan. ;)

If you are looking for this information, sell the current fan controller and get one that comes with sensors. ;)

you can always use something like this to find out the hot/cool spots in your case and compare to what HWMonitor reports

Professional-Indoor-Outdoor-Th-262485.jpg

Back